The Anatomy of a Sino-Soviet SKS (photo heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I thought the SKS was developed in Russia for second line troops, truck drivers, combat engineers etc

I'd be interested to see the source for that info. I've never heard that, and am a bit skeptical that it's true. I'd be more inclined to believe that they were relegated to second-line troops after the AK-47 replaced it.

But in any case, the SKS rifles that were made by China, and which we were discussing, were very definitely intended for front-line use.

[Edit: What I originally suspected appears to be true. The SKS was intended to be a front-line weapon when first put into production, but it was replaced within just a few years by the AK-47. The AK then became the primary infantry weapon, and the SKS was moved to a secondary role.]

Last edited:

bmeade

Apr 23, 2014
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that's what it was intended to be. They started out as military firearms, but the later Chinese rifles (made specifically for commercial export though Norinco) were marketed in a way that made them seem attractive as a truck rifle.

They were sold as "The Farmer's Friend" -- which actually can have a double meaning, if you've studied 20th century Chinese history. Chairman Mao's first real military activity in China was leading an insurrection, initially made up of peasant farmers, that was called, "The Autumn Harvest" uprising. His Red Army, that later fought a much larger-scale war against the Kuomintang in the Chinese Civil War, was composed largely of peasant farmers, but sought to unite rural agricultural workers and urban industrial workers in common cause.

Who knows? Maybe Mao and his people imagined that making inexpensive military-style firearms available to American farmers would enable them to rise up in a similar way against what he saw as an oppressive and expansionist U.S. government?

That said, they do make handy truck rifles, but I couldn't bring myself to just toss one into the crossover toolbox and let it bounce around in there.

I think the tool box would be a little rough. Mine fits nicely between passenger seat and console. I hope to be rolin dogs with it soon.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm bumping this thread up.
    There sure seems to be a drop in C&R stuff. Not like it used to be even a few years ago even.
    The SKS is still available and IMO the #1 SHTF C&R Gun available for years.
    They shoot great with the cheap 25 cent Tulamo/Wolf stuff too. More accurate than the average AK IMO.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm bumping this thread up.
    There sure seems to be a drop in C&R stuff. Not like it used to be even a few years ago even.
    The SKS is still available and IMO the #1 SHTF C&R Gun available for years.
    They shoot great with the cheap 25 cent Tulamo/Wolf stuff too. More accurate than the average AK IMO.

They are fun to shoot...devastating round for small ground squirrels:innocent0

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'll post some pics of my Sino-Soviet ghosts. One in the 12000 serial range and one in 15000 range. What's the lowest numbered Sino Soviet ghost anyone has received? I assume they started with 10000 but who knows? I guess the letter guns are even earlier than that.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I Have an 11923 Ghost. It was one of the Royal Tiger $199 cracked stock specials
    I hope this link works, my work computer blocks it so I'm copying from phone
    https://myrifleshooting.shutterfly.com/74

I think I have over 1000 rounds of Tulamo through it and not a hiccup. Don't think I've lubed it since I decosmo'd it either.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I Have an 11923 Ghost. It was one of the Royal Tiger $199 cracked stock specials
    I hope this link works, my work computer blocks it so I'm copying from phone
    https://myrifleshooting.shutterfly.com/74

I think I have over 1000 rounds of Tulamo through it and not a hiccup. Don't think I've lubed it since I decosmo'd it either.

Nice. I wish I had jumped on that 199 deal. My friend did, I got him a replacement stock and it has been a great rifle. His was NOT repairable. It was in a dozen pieces. It also had a defective part in the trigger group. I replaced it. Whatever that part is with the loop on it, was broken and bent and trigger wouldn't reset. Too lazy to look it up.

I got a "Ghost" from SOG, it's very nice. I love SKS rifles.

I have a commercial Chinese that I don't worry as much about. Handguard doesn't match, saved it from Bubba.

Then I have two Yugos, one unissued w/ log book. The other is one of the blonde stock jobs from Wideners that I suspect is a arsenal refurb.

Looks like all SOG has left have "large repairable cracks"

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd be interested to see the source for that info. I've never heard that, and am a bit skeptical that it's true. I'd be more inclined to believe that they were relegated to second-line troops after the AK-47 replaced it.

But in any case, the SKS rifles that were made by China, and which we were discussing, were very definitely intended for front-line use.

[Edit: What I originally suspected appears to be true. The SKS was intended to be a front-line weapon when first put into production, but it was replaced within just a few years by the AK-47. The AK then became the primary infantry weapon, and the SKS was moved to a secondary role.]
    The SKS was used in WWII. The AK47 wasn't really in full on production until well in to the 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom