• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    The "unissued" Yugo I just got from SOG did not have a log book with it.
    Unless it's on microfilm and jammed in the buttstock, haven't looked there yet. :)
    SOG have always been straight shooters in my experience, I wouldn't think they would lie but you never know. I wonder if some parts got swapped during arsenal checks. From what I've heard, they would take the rifles down, inspect, and re apply cosmo every few years. Maybe some parts got jumbled?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    this is what I did to all mine, worked great
    I stick my barreled action in a huge PVC pipe with end caps filled with hot water and Krud Kutter, let it soak and then agitate it every once in a while. I used to use mineral spirits but the heat from the hot water works even better.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    SOG have always been straight shooters in my experience, I wouldn't think they would lie but you never know. I wonder if some parts got swapped during arsenal checks. From what I've heard, they would take the rifles down, inspect, and re apply cosmo every few years. Maybe some parts got jumbled?

I'm not worried about it, I didn't buy it as a collector item anyway (found a non-import, all-matched Chinese bring-back to fill that slot).
    SOG didn't lie about it, their ad says "appear unissued" (title says unissued) but makes no mention of matching numbers.
    No big deal as long as it works right.

The Chinese SKS they offer does say matching numbers.

The SOG representative was very helpful and pleasant to chat with, and they un-SNAFU'd my order (first time buyer) right then and there.
    Overall a good experience and I'll have no qualms ordering from them again.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Cleaned out a chunk of a collection belonging to one of our more famed C&R gurus around here the other week

Two Type 56 SKS rifles
    Sino-Albanian SKS
    Romanian SKS
    All matching T53 Mosin
    Unissued Finn VKT M39 with the hang tag
    1896 Russian Mosin M91
    Bannerman conversion Mosin

Man was there a lot of cosmoline to clean out of those old guns!

Extra internet points if you figure out who I got it all from :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Picked up an Ive Johnson on the cheap
    Top Break 22
    Sn E184xx
    I'm still trying to get an accurate date on it.
    Also not sure if it's Nickel or Chrome finish. Some scratches on it.
    1ce30a87acb671258e2631ab0a399e50.jpg

b00f1595a6c656713ee3f04f8a5f2f54.jpg

9b22b63fe68707c5e431a6a0596f9e94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Cleaned out a chunk of a collection belonging to one of our more famed C&R gurus around here the other week

Two Type 56 SKS rifles
    Sino-Albanian SKS
    Romanian SKS
    All matching T53 Mosin
    Unissued Finn VKT M39 with the hang tag
    1896 Russian Mosin M91
    Bannerman conversion Mosin

Man was there a lot of cosmoline to clean out of those old guns!

Extra internet points if you figure out who I got it all from :D

I know that didnt come cheap given the seller, Hopefully he gave you a good package deal. I would have liked to have bought the VKT myself. Congrats on the score

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Traded a Pistol for another M1 Carbine the other day, Got a Saginaw SG for it. stock is a little roached but i shot it today and was nailing the bull at 100 yards, so shes a keeper.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I know that didnt come cheap given the seller, Hopefully he gave you a good package deal. I would have liked to have bought the VKT myself. Congrats on the score

No, it wasn't cheap. But the man had good stuff and I wasn't going to beat him down for nice rifles. I believe in paying what's fair unless of course its Craigslist at which point all bets are off :lol2:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Took another Turk rework Gewehr 1888 out of the classifieds for $150 early this morning. Can't even buy a Mosin for that. Picture looked decent and I'll pick it up Saturday.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    ^^^ This. I can usually expect a roll of the eyes, or the obligatory, "You didn't really need that!", but otherwise she's pretty understanding.

I convinced her a few years ago that it is the "retirement fund". And since we just got(getting) screwed out of our pension at work I guess it is for sure now. :rolleyes:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I convinced her a few years ago that it is the "retirement fund". And since we just got(getting) screwed out of our pension at work I guess it is for sure now. :rolleyes:

Same logic here ... except I haven't been screwed out of mine at work (yet). Fortunately, my oldest son has agreed to shoulder the responsibility for helping her convert hardware to cash if she ever needs it.

I look at it this way: I could have gotten interested in golf, or something else like that, where every penny I spent on the hobby was gone forever. With the exception of rounds fired, there's no cash really gone--and even my recovered brass can be used again.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Same logic here ... except I haven't been screwed out of mine at work (yet). Fortunately, my oldest son has agreed to shoulder the responsibility for helping her convert hardware to cash if she ever needs it.

I look at it this way: I could have gotten interested in golf, or something else like that, where every penny I spent on the hobby was gone forever. With the exception of rounds fired, there's no cash really gone--and even my recovered brass can be used again.

Agreed, I used to have a lot of Hotrods, yes they went up in value but maily if you let them sit in the garage and not get used, its a car, its metal and if its outside its gonna eventually rust, the window rubber and other things will dryrot. I dont have any old cars anymore, some i made money on, one i lost my ass on. But the rifles are always stored inside, then are way easier to keep clean and oiled and if you buy older stuff they pretty much always go up in value.

OH and since this is the Just got it now thread.. I just bought these three yesterday and today.. now the wait begins.

1911 Sistema( paid for)
    Ruger Gp100, bought new. I just put a deposit.
    1911 Walther/Colt .22( Paid for)

Attachments

• 20170120_160317.jpg
      20170120_160317.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 327
    • 20170120_154708.jpg
      20170120_154708.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 324
    • 20170120_154730.jpg
      20170120_154730.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 325
    • 15878826_10155651254017738_311421349_n.jpg
      15878826_10155651254017738_311421349_n.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 325

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

So true! We can argue that our hobby is preserving or even enhancing our family's wealth at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom