• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Restoring & Protecting Old Leather?

Just wondering what works best to protect and/or restore some dry and stiff 100 year old leather.
    I have a lot of antique leather items and have always tried to avoid putting anything on it but the leather chin strap on this US WWI helmet I found recently definitely needs something.
    It's very dry and stiff and the surface is starting to crack a little and I'm worried it will only get worse if I don't do something.
    Heard Ballistol, pure neatsfoot oil, or even olive oil will work but before I put anything on it I want to be sure it will protect the leather and not damage it.
    Thanks!
    Here's a photo of the leather:

Attachments

• 20170112_230042.jpg
      20170112_230042.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 470

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Already have Ballistol and olive oil and would like to use one of those if it won't harm anything but want to be sure first instead of trying to experiment.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I use Zaino Z-9 leather cleaner and Z-10 leather conditioner. Used it last week to help a Vietnam vet with his leather pistol holster from the war. For who knows how long, he used brown shoe polish on it. Without much effort, Z-9 got all the shoe polish off. Z-10 brought the leather back to life. The stuff ain't cheap but works really well on leather and vinyl. The Z-10 smells great, just like new leather.

I would *not* use Ballistol or olive oil. I have plenty of both. They will over-soften vintage leather and hasten its demise.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Carnauba cream. Little bit goes a long way. Use a soft clean rag or a damp new sponge (completely wrung out) to work a light application of it in. Let it sit for at least a few hours before repeating until you're satisfied.

Jul 1, 2012
    The pros use Connolly Hide Care cream (lanolin).
    It's expensive though.
    The Luger Holster Doc is one of the best leather guys out there and that's what he recommends and uses,
    and he works on some very, very rare and valuable items.

Most other stuff will damage the leather in the long run (or in the short run in some cases).

Pecard's is a good product too (and a lot less expensive) but you have to use it very sparingly or it will turn the leather to mush.

Ballistol and olive oil are bad juju

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Another thing to keep in mind for preservation after you find something to restore it is the humidity in your home. Leather will desiccate and dry/crack if exposed to long periods of low humidity (under ~35% or so from what I've read). My home gets super dry with our gas heat over the fall/winter months (like 20-25%) so I run a small humidifier in my collecting room to keep the humidity in a more normal range, around 40%.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I would suggest stopping in at a tack shop or looking on some horse forums to see what is recommended on all the leather saddles bridles etc

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The pros use Connolly Hide Care cream (lanolin).

^^^ This. It's worth the price, and it will probably last you a long time if you keep the container sealed up.

Ballistol and olive oil are bad juju

^^^ Also, this. Olive oil is slightly acetic, and you don't want that on leather. Yeah, it will soften the leather, but it's not good long-term.

I don't know as much about how Ballistol works with leather, but I'm under the impression that it's not made to soak into dried leather, and is more intended to be a surface protector for new leather goods.

Jul 1, 2012
    With old helmets (and holsters etc) it's best to try to save and preserve the original leather (and other parts) if at all possible, even if it's not in the best of shape.
    The strap in the OP doesn't look too bad, just needs some TLC.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Pure Neatsfoot Oil is your friend when it comes to leather that is exposed to the weather.

It's not a cleaner, but a great conditioner and protector.

You can pick it up cheap in the horse tack section of your local Tractor Supply.

Justemily

Dec 26, 2010
    Maryland
    check out RENAISSANCE WAX (Ren Wax) used by major museums, art galleries and institutions for the preservation of the precious pieces. $$$$$ but well worth it. look it up I've been using it for years.
    SAFE FOR ALL THESE MATERIALS
    Wood - Raw & Finished, Leather, Parchment & Paper, Metal - Silver, Silverplate, Gold, Copper & Copper Alloys (Bronze, Brass, Tin, Zinc, German Silver, Nickel), Lead & Pewter, Iron & Iron Alloys, Tin & Tin Alloys, Damascus; Stone, Marble, Onyx, Limestone, Granite, Brick, Tile, Terrazzo, Obsidian, Alabaster; Gems, Glass, Porcelain, Holloware, Bone, Ivory, Horn, Shell & Mother-of-Pearl, Gutta Percha, Dammars; Gilding & Gold Leaf, Patinas, Enamel, Lacquer, Japanning, Cloute, Pose d'Or, Pique Point, Varnish, Marbleizing, Stains & Artificial Graining; Plastics, Formicas, Paints, Polyvinyl Acetates, Esters of Polymethyacrylic, Polycyclohexanones, Fiberglas Epoxy Resins

Jul 1, 2012
    Ren wax is great for sealing/protecting but not so much for putting life back into dried out leather unfortunately.
    I use Ren Wax too but pretty much limit it to high-polish blued or raw metal, where it excels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom