• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I lost a dear friend today, even though I never met him in person. He, and his songs, crossed paths with me on multiple occasions. John Prine was a fellow traveler with me on our sometimes painful and oftentimes really funny journey. He put the pithiness of life into colorful word pictures. I will continue to miss you for a long time.

Early in my relationship with my late wife I observed that she often cried when she heard John’s “Angel From Montgomery.” She never explained the tears, but later I grew to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFCUIsl4Yc

At another time I heard for the first time John’s “Sam Stone.” It immediately brought back painful recollections of my brother’s life trek after he returned from Vietnam. And I cried. This song still brings tears; John wrote at the level of raw emotions. So in some ways he was my music therapist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrALjg0-xQ

Now, a cruel disease has robbed us of a treasure. But before he left he gifted us with a happy, joyous, John-Prine-type send-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0EiV423j0M

God Speed my brother.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I lost a dear friend today, even though I never met him in person. He, and his songs, crossed paths with me on multiple occasions. John Prine was a fellow traveler with me on our sometimes painful and oftentimes really funny journey. He put the pithiness of life into colorful word pictures. I will continue to miss you for a long time. God Speed my brother.
    Excellent words sir! My thoughts exactly.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I had never heard of him until I watched an interview with him on CBS Sunday morning...a show I don't usually miss. Great piece if anyone should care to look it up. Instead of sitting down to be interviewed, John talks the woman who conducted the interview into doing it while shooting a game of pool over a beer or two in a dive bar. It made me aware of his music but life got in the way and I haven't yet pulled up any of his music...really liked what little they played throughout the piece. Now there's no excuse not to give a listen.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    One of the blessings of advanced age is that you outlive some people you have treasured over the years.

One of the curses of advanced age is that you outlive some people you have treasured over the years.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Went downstairs and pulled this out of my collection. Haven’t listened to it for some time. Nice to listen to some good music again. RIP John.

Attachments

• 77563AF9-740D-47F7-A975-38FFDDD51C58.jpg
      77563AF9-740D-47F7-A975-38FFDDD51C58.jpg
      126 KB · Views: 312

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I worked at a long gone scout camp where we regularly sang his songs at campfire ceremonies. Especially "Blow Up Your TV", though that may may be the chorus and not the song title. Later I found out that was rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom