• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I just watched the excellent John Stossel video (sorry not sure how to link to the thread). An elderly couple explained how having a gun was an equalizer against a younger, stronger attacker. It would seem that AARP who advocates for protecting the elderly and other groups that look out for the physically handicapped could be natural allies.

Unfortunately, I think it is too much of a third rail issue for these groups to get involved.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    AARP is a "Progressive" front organization. Their entire purpose and priority is to build a huge membership base by largely concealing their radical leftist agenda, then leverage the resulting political clout to advance that agenda.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I was actually thinking a similar thing this morning when I saw that the NOW founder passed away. Why are these groups (older folks, women, gays, minorities) that are often the targets of crime because of perceived or actual weakness or prejudiced so anti-gun?

They can't have thought it through....

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I guess you learn something everday. I assumed with 42% of their potential membership base being gun owners (per 2010 Gallup poll) they might be more middle of the road on the issue. I'll rip up all of their junk mail with even more gusto now.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    I just watched the excellent John Stossel video (sorry not sure how to link to the thread). An elderly couple explained how having a gun was an equalizer against a younger, stronger attacker. It would seem that AARP who advocates for protecting the elderly and other groups that look out for the physically handicapped could be natural allies.

Unfortunately, I think it is too much of a third rail issue for these groups to get involved.

AARP is extremely left wing and you can thank them in a large part for Obama Care.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    It's the strangest thing in the world that AARP is such a leftist organization made up of 55+ citizens, a very conservative group. Also, they lost a lot of members for their support of Obamacare.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    AARP is a "Progressive" front organization. Their entire purpose and priority is to build a huge membership base by largely concealing their radical leftist agenda, then leverage the resulting political clout to advance that agenda.

When you 'come of age' join AMAC or similar conservative senior advocacy org. AARP sold out on ObamaCare because they are dominated by leftists and are very anti-gun, so they will back any gun-grab that Obama profers. Why ? Read on ...

I was actually thinking a similar thing this morning when I saw that the NOW founder passed away. Why are these groups (older folks, women, gays, minorities) that are often the targets of crime because of perceived or actual weakness or prejudiced so anti-gun?

They can't have thought it through....

Because they are often the targets of crime, they think that the government is there to protect them. They also believe that The Constitution and The Bill of Rights are there for the government to rule THEM, as opposed to keeping check on the government. This is why so many believe that they're living documents to be changed on a whim or to 'protect' them even more as times get tougher.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The organization lures in a lot of normal people who have no idea how politicized it is. Most people probably join for the discounts: their agenda is to save money. But the real agenda of the organization is to advance the "Progressive" cause. The bigger their membership, the more political power they have.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    At first I just threw away the AARP membership applications. Then I would take them out and write NO! in big, red felt tip letters across the form, put it in the pre-paid envelope (so they'd have to pay for it), and sent it back.

They still came.

So I finally took the application form out, wrote NO! on it, and sent this letter enclosed with it in the envelope:

To Whom It May Concern:

Hopefully this is the last time I will be forced to make this point.

I am not at all interested in joining your organization. For just one reason, AARP’s politics are anathema to me.

Kindly leave me alone from now on, and while you’re at it, apologize to the trees for the wood pulp you have wasted trying to convince me to join.

In other words, get lost.

Sincerely,

Guy N. LaFrance

Haven't seen a thing from them since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom