• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustkim1

Jan 8, 2012
    Hey guys I'm getting more and more interested in shooting clay but the awful problem is that no one I know shoots clay nor have I. I have been looking around the area and PG skeet seems to be the best place but I can't seem to be able to find a beginner class or anything.

Of course I should always try out a gun before I purchase it but I always get so darn excited too quickly and I window shop too often.:sad20:

I have a lead on a 1100 for a pretty fair price but I also have an urge to get an o/u. But i figure if i get into 3-gun maybe the 1100 will be better because I am getting more and more interested in competing.

Also wondering what other gear I would possibly need in order to have a good start on shooting clay.

If any of you guys could give me tips or advice to get me off to a start I'd greatly appreciate it!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Where you located? There's going to be no substitute for getting out and shooting with some (more) experienced guys. I would recommend a DECENT auto before an O/U for a beginner.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Oh, I see, you are saying P.G

Trip across the bay bridge to Schraders might be worth it, they have a beginners class (so to speak) gun rental, etc.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    call the nearest skeet ranges and see if they have an instructor on board, or one they recommend, who can meet you there and give some instructions. one-on-one will prob benefit you more than a class.

also, try to rent a few guns there to get a feel for the differences between them.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The best way I found (and I go to PGTS too) is to go with someone who knows the ropes. My first trip was with a buddy of mine who used to teach trap and skeet there. He pretty much ran me through the safety measures that they like at a trap/skeep place on top of regular range etiquette.

I'd be more than willing to go with you if you were interested in learning from someone who barely knows what they're doing lol. (I even bought two shot guns so I could take my own friends who were interested but didn't know if they wanted to buy a shotgun).

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Come out to the AGC on Sunday afternoon (noon-4PM) for public trap. We usually have several instructors not to mention some great shotgun folks who enjoy coaching new trap shooters. I would recommend seeking out Diug Nichols, Norm Blake, Bob Shanks or Col Ed Hall.

The cost is $5.00 per round for non-members

Mickey

Lurker
    Sep 25, 2009
    I'm president of the Trap and Skeet club at UMD. We shoot every week at PG County Trap and Skeet. You're free to come shoot with us if you'd like. Rhys Arthur is the instructor over there, he offers instruction for all levels and they rent guns too. PM me if you wanna come shoot with the club or check out ssshooting.com and get a hold of Rhys. Tell him Mickey sent you.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Rifles, handguns, any firearm shooting a fixed projectile is a machanical process. You align the sights very deliberately and hold that (sight) picture while purposly crontroling movement as the trigger is gently squeezed until the shot is made.

Shooting flying (as the Brits say) should be a mental exercise rather than anything resembling the mechanical one of shooting a rifle. Think of throwing a baseball. Its the same thing really. You fix your focus on where it needs to go and put it there! Simple really. :cool:

The most important aspect in shooting flying, something typically overlooked by most (casual) American shotgunners, is having a gun that fits. Pick a spot on the wall right now. Focus your attention on it, then quickly point your finger at it. THAT is how natural pointing a shotgun should be. If you have to scooch around to get your eyes aligned so you're looking down the barrel, you have the wrong gun. Its THAT simple! It is said that your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. I prefer to think of your eye as THE sight on a shotgun, the only sight. Forget beads, lead, etc... Let the most powerful computer in the world do all that calculation for you - the human brain!

Try as many guns as possible seeking one that "fits." If you are not "the average shooter" it may be difficult finding that special gun. I know, I'm 6'6" / 220.:innocent0 It may be necessary to have a gun specially tailored to you by a QUALIFIED gunsmith. That will not be necessary to get into the sport though. Just find the best fit you can. The rest is simple - practice. Lots of practice! Just remember to relax, let your brain do the heavy work. Focus on the bird, if possible focus on a small part of the bird. Let it happen... zen shotgunning!:cool:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As far as getting a shotgun goes, buy something used. You'll lose a whole lot less money that way if you decide you don't like the shotgun or clay shooting. If you don't mind fixed chokes (such as IC/M), you'll have your pick of older O/Us in excellent condition for about $500-$700.

For 12ga O/U, I suggest starting off with 1oz target loads. A semi-auto like Berettas may need 1-1/8oz to cycle reliably.

As for gear, first thing you need is good hearing protection. I suggest plain earplugs under electronic headphones. For under $60, the Howard Leight R-01526 electronic headphones are excellent.

Attachments

• 41ShugcEeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
      41ShugcEeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 105

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not a good as a used 1100 for a hundred bucks more....

Agreed 200%. Buying a pump to start with is a sure recipe for wanting to upgrade almost immediately. No problem if you have the spare cabbage, but seems like the OP doesn't.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    You're getting some good advice here but, personally, I'd find a place that rents guns and find out if clay shooting is something you wish to pursue before buying a gun.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Agreed 200%. Buying a pump to start with is a sure recipe for wanting to upgrade almost immediately. No problem if you have the spare cabbage, but seems like the OP doesn't.

possibly...i have an 870 i use primarily for skeet shooting...when you deal with the 1100 and it starts giving you problems a newb to guns is going to have more of a hard time with it...than with the 870...where all you have to do is spray with oil and wipe clean...

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    possibly...i have an 870 i use primarily for skeet shooting...when you deal with the 1100 and it starts giving you problems a newb to guns is going to have more of a hard time with it...than with the 870...where all you have to do is spray with oil and wipe clean...

My first suggestion was a used O/U. Doesn't get any simpler.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I maintain, your first concern (if buying a gun) is to find one that fits you. Price will undoubtedly be an issue to address, but style should be second at the very least to fit!

A word on gun weight. Too heavy and it becomes a burden to hold and WILL affect your shooting. Gun weight however will have an effect on "felt recoil." That term is pretty self explainatory.:cool: Too light a gun will "kick" more than a heavy one with the same load - generally speaking - and a well balanced gun can negate heavy weight to a degree. ...it's just one of those things you simply must get out and try a few of before making an informed purchase.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom