• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Just a heads up to any of my fellow patriots who ate at Mission yesterday (whether with us in the evening or earlier), that was the last valid charge on my credit card before the fraudulent ones started, and it got locked.

I'm not saying for sure that it was compromised at Mission, but I suggest that if you paid there with CC, maybe you ought to check your accounts. My bank shut it down before any charges went through, but they tried JCPenny online, Sling TV, and what the bank representative described as, "a bunch of $1 charges all over the place."

:sad20:

And...I wanted to post this in MD 2A issues to catch the eye of folks who may have been down there, but it looks like I fat-fingered it into National. :smack: Maybe it could be moved?:innocent0

Last edited:

MykR0k

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 13, 2020
    Why, why, why can't the credit card companies put in a two step verification process for CC purchases. These systems are used for logging into so many different accounts and such these days, why can't they do it for CC purchases???

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Mission isn't a likely source for compromise, since your card goes directly into their POS system directly within your view.
    It's the restaurants where the waiter walks away for a bit and can use a skimmer out of your view while processing your card that such things happen.
    Or Wawa, where the entire database is compromised, and the thieves hit people at random after random delays to try to throw people off the search from the vulnerability.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I agree - Mission probably isn't your culprit. Did you swipe your card at a gas pump in recent days? The chipped readers at most modern establishments are far less likely to be where a skimmer was installed, and the POS system itself almost assuredly never even sees your entire card number in hackable plain text. Someone got it earlier, sold it to a crew that then started testing it for usability (those 1$ charges).

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hmm...I usually do gas (including Wawa :rolleyes:) on a different card. The other recent transactions physically invovling the card have been my LGS, car wash, Brownells, The Mill of Bel Air, MDSP (for 77r fee...how ironic would that be), and Sheetz. There was a Wawa in store purchase from November :shrug:

I also did two where I entered the info online :tap: Special Olympics and a fundraiser for my delegate.

How long do the bad guys usually sit on the info before trying it?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    [YT]3v8I5egzoMo[/YT]

Notoriously low budget operations with transient staff. Point of sale systems are generally well out of date and not well policed. Strong possibility there.

Last time we had a card skimmed, it was about two weeks before we saw a flurry of BS start happening. Capitol One was on the ball with alerts and took care of us immediately.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    [YT]3v8I5egzoMo[/YT]

Notoriously low budget operations with transient staff. Point of sale systems are generally well out of date and not well policed. Strong possibility there.

Last time we had a card skimmed, it was about two weeks before we saw a flurry of BS start happening. Capitol One was on the ball with alerts and took care of us immediately.

Damn...and it is just the start of roadsalt season. :sad20: This was a DIY deal, where I swiped the card myself, to wash my car myself. I really like using the card, because it only bills for the time I use...as opposed to cash, where I have to meet the minimum, and/or keep feeding the thing and guess how long it will take.

I just signed up for a free year of credit monitoring by Experian from Wawa...because why not, I guess :shrug:

My apologies to Mission (although I'm still gonna pay cash next time :innocent0)

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I had 3 different cards compromised on 3 different occasions over the course of several years. The last time, my bank told me they could tell that the transaction was done with a physical card... in EGYPT. So someone stole my info, made a card and then tried to use it. My bank covered the charge. Your card could have been compromised just about anywhere. That card info is in so many systems, wherever you may have used it. It could have been months ago. It is possible that the shyster that got your info used it for themselves or they could have posted it to the dark web for sale or even just for the fun of it. Then anyone that wanted to buy something for a bargain at your expense could use it. It sucks but that is one of the negative side effects of the convenience of cards.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    Just a heads up to any of my fellow patriots who ate at Mission yesterday (whether with us in the evening or earlier), that was the last valid charge on my credit card before the fraudulent ones started, and it got locked.

I'm not saying for sure that it was compromised at Mission, but I suggest that if you paid there with CC, maybe you ought to check your accounts. My bank shut it down before any charges went through, but they tried JCPenny online, Sling TV, and what the bank representative described as, "a bunch of $1 charges all over the place."

:sad20:

And...I wanted to post this in MD 2A issues to catch the eye of folks who may have been down there, but it looks like I fat-fingered it into National. :smack: Maybe it could be moved?:innocent0

Did you buy anything from Beretta recently online? I ordered from them online in 2019 and a few days after that someone was trying to buy stuff with my credit card around Baltimore. Thank goodness Capital One is on the ball because they contacted me the same day about them trying to pay their electric bill and purchasing some other items. All the charges were blocked. I can't prove it was someone from Beretta but all of the other places I used my card were my regular places that I never had an issue with before.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I can't prove it was someone from Beretta but all of the other places I used my card were my regular places that I never had an issue with before.

Just remember that the retailers or service providers where your card is compromised are almost never in on it. They are unwitting (like the gas station where a drive-by bad guy has stuck a slimmer on their pump readers), or they are also victims (their point of sale system having been hacked by a third party).

Yes, sometimes you get a criminal clerk or waiter taking advantage of handling your card just out of sight. The employers rarely find out about that until well after the fact and it can be hard to nail down to the individual employee at unsophisticated businesses.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    Just remember that the retailers or service providers where your card is compromised are almost never in on it. They are unwitting (like the gas station where a drive-by bad guy has stuck a slimmer on their pump readers), or they are also victims (their point of sale system having been hacked by a third party).

Yes, sometimes you get a criminal clerk or waiter taking advantage of handling your card just out of sight. The employers rarely find out about that until well after the fact and it can be hard to nail down to the individual employee at unsophisticated businesses.

I understand. I am careful with my card. I check all readers for skimmers before I use my card. If someone was not in on it at Beretta, the only other way I could think of that someone could get my card number would be if they hacked a retailers system but I would think that would be in the news. I do go to Wawa a lot but I have not seen them in the news being hacked.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Just dispute the charges, no big deal anymore, save your cash for those secretive transactions. ;)

Fortunately, there was nothing that actually went through to dispute. The worst part is just the hassle of being down a card (and hoping my other one doesn't get hacked in the meantime!) for a week or so. So, overall, I guess I was pretty lucky.

Something else weird though...maybe just coincidence: That card never received last month's payment. The rep I was working with suggested that the check got lost in the mail, and that it happens from time to time (It's never happened to me, though!). Fortunately (again!) it was an APGFCU card, which is also my bank, and she could just do a transfer to make the payment. It just seemed weird that there were two issues at the same time. I looked at next month's payment coupon. Even if my check was interecepted, my CC number is nowhere on the coupon or my check. I think I'll talk to the bank again tomorrow, just in case it isn't a coincidence...:tap:

Yes...cash is generally special :innocent0 Although it's not a big secret that much of it goes to AmmoJon!:D

Did you buy anything from Beretta recently online? I ordered from them online in 2019 and a few days after that someone was trying to buy stuff with my credit card around Baltimore. Thank goodness Capital One is on the ball because they contacted me the same day about them trying to pay their electric bill and purchasing some other items. All the charges were blocked. I can't prove it was someone from Beretta but all of the other places I used my card were my regular places that I never had an issue with before.

No Beretta. I did Brownells online :eek: and Special Olympics. I guess it could have happened (and does happen) anywhere. I figured Mission was suspect because it was the last place I used it (still feel bad accusing them), but I guess it makes sense that the perps might hold onto the info for a while before trying it. I'm not an experienced criminal. My instinct would be to use it right away, before the owner knew anything. I guess that would increase my chances of getting caught right quick :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom