• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Would love to hear some insight from anyone in the hvac, and, or plumbing/gas fields. I am a dual apprentice in both and just want to hear opinions on the field from people other than the small family company I work for. Whats your opinion on the trade?

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Everyone has different opinions and experiences but I will give you mine.

I started in the HVAC field right out of high school. Thought it was what I wanted to do so decided to go to TESST college for their HVAC program. Spent 5 years doing residential/ light commercial. One day I woke up and looked around and realized I hated getting up and going to work every day. It was completely miserable. Climbing in attics, crawlspaces and carrying heavy a$$ boilers completely sucked. I mean some days were fine but as a whole was completely terrible. On top of that the pay in the residential/light commercial side sucks unless you own the company or are doing work on the side. Unless you are working major overtime it was just never going to get me where I wanted to me.

I ended up saving up some money, quit my job and went to college for engineering. I actually have not finished my degree yet but now work for a consulting engineering firm designing commercial HVAC/Plumbing systems. I have a desk job that is completely amazing and I could not be happier. (usually you need a degree to get into the field i'm in but since I had my Master's HVAC/ Journeyman Gas-fitter license they decided to give me a shot and it all worked out, been at this engineering firm for over 3 years now)

I don't want this to come across as saying don't stay/get into the field but just figure out what you want and set some goals. If I were to make a recommendation it would be to get into the commercial side of things or get into commercial controls. The steam fitters union is probably a good place to start. If that's not something you want to do and residential is where you want to be, put your time in and once you get your masters etc. try and get out and work for yourself.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    A friend of mine just completed his HVAC school today. He enjoys the work but has realized that he cannot provide for his family on the entry level pay that is being offered to him.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Spent about 8 years in the trade. Mainly residential replacements and then service. Service was so bad I went back to replacements. I tried several different companies and they are all the same.

If you show up on time, can piss clean and are half decent at the trade you will never want for a job but they will seriously work you to death. You never know what time you will get off. I got out for a better work life balance. Expect $20-30/hour as a journeyman tech.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    ...you will never want for a job but they will seriously work you to death. You never know what time you will get off. I got out for a better work life balance. Expect $20-30/hour as a journeyman tech.

It was that way for me since not all the techs held WSSC plumber/gasfitter licences when I was with Michael and So, er a large service contractor. Now that I have returned to union work, I make about the same in a 40 hr work week without weekend work.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    37 years in HVAC ... 15+ years ago it was a no brainer guaranteed good job that paid for a house a nice car and some recreation stuff; 10%-15%-20% raises yearly. These days its hit or miss, I haven't had a raise in 4 years.

To advance you will need something extra, some more college classes in some specialty or business/management or you will hit a dead end in less than 10 years.

As far as Megalug's comment goes ... 7 years ago we laid off half of our guys in the field and didn't rehire any until the next year. The recession and cold summer were a double whammy ... guys went hungry

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It's the economy, stupid. You should be looking to The One, who has all the answers.

JustJohnny

Feb 20, 2011
    Is this something that a middle aged person can get educated in? Or are only young people accepted into apprenticeship programs (Just wondering)? Do you think there would be age discrimination against mid life career changers in this field?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Not to hijack but anyone want some business? May need a new unit and possibly looking to upgrade boiler or change to NG. PM if you're interested? Thanks.

Good luck with your decision, acwatkins.

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I've been at it for 34 years now. I really like The HVAC trade. In my years I have been exposed residential and commercial HVAC, chillers, refrigeration, ice makers from little under counter machines to industrial machines that take up a small warehouse, duct manufacturing and installation.
    Of all of that, my favorite thing was commercial refrigeration. Once you learn refrigeration and have it down to a tee there will be nothing that makes air or water get cold that you won't be able to fix.
    One thing though, the HVAC trade does require at times long hours in really crappy conditions. Working weekends in the summer will be a norm.
    You will always have a place to work, make decent money and meet lots of nice people.
    Go for it
    You may make a lifelong career out of it.
    Good luck to you

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Everyone who has done it all prefers commercial refrigeration

How do you tell a commercial refrigeration mechanic from an AC mechanic?

AC guys have a refrigeration ratchet in their tool bag, a commercial refrigeration mechanic has it in his pocket

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Is this something that a middle aged person can get educated in? Or are only young people accepted into apprenticeship programs (Just wondering)? Do you think there would be age discrimination against mid life career changers in this field?

IMO, yes. But the clearest way I see it happening is to start out as a helper for a private company. You can immediately get your Apprentice License from DLLR. You can most likely find some classes at your community college that will teach you the technical side. But your best experience will be in the field. After 4 years as an apprentice you can become a Journeyman but you should be doing mechanic work well before that. I was running my own replacement crew after about 8 or 9 months and then service after a year and a half. The trade is fairly easy to learn but it will probably come down to can you afford to learn it?

You might experience some age discrimination but there is such a demand for (decent) techs that you will find someone to give you a shot. But, if you show you are serious you shouldn't have trouble finding something.

ETA: for residential HVAC you should be in good shape. There are some tight places and it is physically demanding. Commercial you might be able to get away with a little less.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    IMO, yes. But the clearest way I see it happening is to start out as a helper for a private company. You can immediately get your Apprentice License from DLLR. You can most likely find some classes at your community college that will teach you the technical side. But your best experience will be in the field. After 4 years as an apprentice you can become a Journeyman but you should be doing mechanic work well before that. I was running my own replacement crew after about 8 or 9 months and then service after a year and a half. The trade is fairly easy to learn but it will probably come down to can you afford to learn it?

You might experience some age discrimination but there is such a demand for (decent) techs that you will find someone to give you a shot. But, if you show you are serious you shouldn't have trouble finding something.

ETA: for residential HVAC you should be in good shape. There are some tight places and it is physically demanding. Commercial you might be able to get away with a little less.

I agree with this. Biggest issue I would say is that it is very likely that you would be working under a mechanic that is probably younger than you and sometimes that can be an issue. I know I had a few helpers that were middle aged making career changes and didnt like the fact that i was in charge of them and was only 20/21 or so at the time. Hell it was even uncomfortable for me at times making.asking them to do things that helpers do on the regular. May not be an issue for you but just something to consider.

Could you handle a 21 year old making you run out to the truck for a left handed flat head screwdriver?:D

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Or a kinibbling shaft or a sky hook or a metric cresent wrench?

I'll tell you one thing that a helper can do that will set me off real quick; go to the truck to get something and come back and say I can't find it. I go out there and have it in 2 seconds.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread. Its nice to hear from some guys who have been there and done that. Im starting my first HVACR class mid-July, wish me luck!

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    You're making a good desicion. As it has been said already, there is work every where in this field. People always need shit to be kept cold. I've been working as a commercial refrigeration tech for almost 6 years now, and while it's not easy work, it's not back breaking either. I work mainly with R-717 (Anhydrous Ammonia or NH3), but am also perficiant with Chilled water (Water mixed with low percentage of Propelyne Glycol), Process Glycol (Higher Glycol to water ratio, much lower freezing point then Chilled Water) and Calcium chloride (Brine solutions). To me, it's a very rewarding career. Where I'm employeed at, they offer very gracious beneifits and employee incentives.
    I don't want to sound like I'm bragging at all but,

401k, with employeer match upto a certain percentage
    Pension program.
    Quaterly bonuses.
    Tuition reimbustment.
    Annual Tool allowance.
    Accumulative paid vacation and sick leave.
    80/20 med beneifits.
    Comphrensive dental and vision.
    Near unlimited growth potential.
    Quaterly bonuses.
    and more.

Lol, and yes it's true we DO carry our service wrench's in our back pockets.

I wish you good luck to you in your future.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    I also hate to hi-jack the thread, but anyone looking for a HVAC journeyman position e-mail your resume' to info@southcountyenterprises.com

The trade can be very rewarding if you are a hard working person with an analytical mind. I meet soooo many guys that only learn short cuts and never take the science of the trade seriously and end up complaining about not making enough money to live well. If you're going to get involved in HVAC and want to make a great career out of it the be willing to invest tons of personal time and money in studying, get as much experience as you can while you're young, take advantage of the knowlegable techs you meet, be willing to make mistakes (and ready to fix them) and you should be fine.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The number of mistakes a good HVAC tech makes is astronomical, the trick is admitting when you are wrong and moving on. Anyone who thinks he is right all the time is stuck.

The field is ever evolving, if you aren't actively seeking out new info, you are falling behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom