• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Got this Winchester M1917 hand picked from the South Store in Anniston, Alabama last week. I've got a couple DCM and CMP M1's, but I always wanted one of the M1917's.

They had about a dozen to choose from, only about 2 Winchester's, 2 Remington and the rest Eddystone. About 15 or so M1903 and 03A3 rifles as well. Unfortunately, you are only permitted one bolt-action rifle a year.

This was the nicest looking one in the rack. Service grade with a 1.5 Muzzle and a 2 Throat measurement. Covered in grease. Bore is surprisingly nice with some very light frosting. Mix of Eddystone and Winchester parts with a couple Remington pieces mixed in.

Appears to be a WW2 refurb that didn't see much use. Still retains its original 10-18 dated barrel and the finish is very good.

It should make for a nice shooter if/when I decide to take it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
      IMG_0890.jpg
      130.3 KB · Views: 728
    • IMG_0891.jpg
      IMG_0891.jpg
      100.7 KB · Views: 723
    • IMG_0894.jpg
      IMG_0894.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 766
    • IMG_0900.jpg
      IMG_0900.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 736
    • IMG_0903.jpg
      IMG_0903.jpg
      128.5 KB · Views: 731
    • IMG_0906.jpg
      IMG_0906.jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 739
    • IMG_0909.jpg
      IMG_0909.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 718
    • IMG_0923.jpg
      IMG_0923.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 733

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I know the 1917 has better battle sights and a stronger receiver but I've always felt it just looked and felt awkward compared to a 1903...but both are equally capable battle rifles. I used to own a Remington 1917 but just like the '03 better.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice one! you can really see the difference in the annealing on the left receiver rail. I always liked that for some reason and don't know why.
    I was shooting one of the Remington m17 that I have a couple weeks ago and dam if that sucker wasn't one of the best shooting US bolt rifles I own.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice one! you can really see the difference in the annealing on the left receiver rail. I always liked that for some reason and don't know why.
    I was shooting one of the Remington m17 that I have a couple weeks ago and dam if that sucker wasn't one of the best shooting US bolt rifles I own.

Is that something they did in a refurb process?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Is that something they did in a refurb process?

During manufacture, the receivers are drawn back in a hot lead bath to increase ductility and further reduce the possibility of cracking. I suspect there may be an added benefit to the manipulation of the bolt in the raceway at the beginning and end of the bolt stroke and different metallurgy in bolt manufacture to decrease wear characteristics.

M17's are known to crack around the receiver ring whether that happens during proof, rebuild or what the jury is out. I re-barreled a bunch of them and never seen it with the exception of one example in a Baltimore gun shop.

It was a Remington receiver with a JA barrel on a sported rifle to boot. Probably the wrong equipment/method was the actual culprit.

Proper fitting of the square threads is another matter and may have been overlooked during the initial manufacturing process which could be a secondary problem during the rebuild process.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I know the 1917 has better battle sights and a stronger receiver but I've always felt it just looked and felt awkward compared to a 1903...but both are equally capable battle rifles. I used to own a Remington 1917 but just like the '03 better.

The 1917 is a bulldog compared to the sleek 1903 greyhound.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I am on record saying the 1917 is a clumsy ox.

Compared to the1903 it is like comparing a dump truck to a sports car.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That’s why you get an 03A3 of course. Best of both worlds and only one round down. :)

Also jealous. I’ve never seen any 1917 or 1903 (or carbines) for sale through CMP’s web store. I assume the last few years they only sell Garand through the web store?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Other than Garand's everything else is too rare nowadays so it either gets auctioned if exceptionally nice or gets put out on the rack for someone to buy in person.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys!

I love M1903’s as well (not really a fan of the 03A3 though) but I’ve always been more drawn towards the M1917’s.

Archival Research Group has found a lot of great and interesting documents on them as well. If I remember right, Winchester rifles made pre-June 1918 never saw service in Europe.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I think it’s around $700 or so for a service grade. Less for Field and Rack Grade.

That’s what the M1917’s were selling for.

$700 is not bad for a nice M 17. I have one and I would say that it’s more accurate than the 1903. Yeah it’s kind of clunky looking but if I had to compete with one or the other I will take the M 17. I think the M 17 is the most underrated US military rifle ever.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks guys!

I love M1903’s as well (not really a fan of the 03A3 though) but I’ve always been more drawn towards the M1917’s.

Archival Research Group has found a lot of great and interesting documents on them as well. If I remember right, Winchester rifles made pre-June 1918 never saw service in Europe.

I don’t know what archives show, but my
    great uncle, Co A, 305th Inf, 77th Inf Div,
    carried one.

The 305th regimental history cites
    that the regiment loved their Winchester’s,
    which were issued in the late fall of ‘17 at Camp Upton. It notes they then initially
    trained on SMLEs when they first arrived in France and were trained by Brits in a quiet sector, before moving up into more active areas.
    They were then reissued their “Winnies” for
    the transition to more active service, and
    carried them into combat and through the
    rest of their service. If I recall correctly,
    they deployed from the US to France in
    April of ‘18.
    Not sure whether the rest of the 77th Div
    (to include the various units that comprised
    “The Lost Battalion”) carried Winchester’s,
    but the ‘17, made by whatever
    manufacturer, was their standard.

Users who are viewing this thread