• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcgoo

Mar 9, 2018
    I am trying to set up a target range on my property in Reisterstown area. I found the map for baltimore county that outlines restricted area for shooting, and it is questionable if i am inside that line or not.
    The statute says if a range is "permanent, bona-fide, posted, and filed with police dept." it is ok inside of that map line anyway.
    Does anyone know how to file with police dept? I called them and they do not know.....
    furthermore i am not sure i follow "bona-fide" part.

anyone have experience doing the same?

thanks

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There was just a post about this the other day, try searching the forum.
    Permanent, bona-fide would seem to indicate a permitted and inspected range by the county. Just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I am trying to set up a target range on my property in Reisterstown area. I found the map for baltimore county that outlines restricted area for shooting, and it is questionable if i am inside that line or not.
    The statute says if a range is "permanent, bona-fide, posted, and filed with police dept." it is ok inside of that map line anyway.
    Does anyone know how to file with police dept? I called them and they do not know.....
    furthermore i am not sure i follow "bona-fide" part.

anyone have experience doing the same?

thanks

I investigated this for 7 acres I live on. I went to the police station and I am not in the restricted area. However the law states if the range was established after June 1, 1997 you will be subject to private nuisance actions from neighbors. Basically, if they don't like the noise, they can likely make it difficult and possibly shut you down.

The biggest problem my lawyers came back with is I would be responsible for every round discharged and where it impacts. Heck, a .22 long can travel a mile+ so 7 acres is a joke for a safety net.

Even worse was the insurance, I have a rather chunky policy on my property with G&L and an umbrella. If I wanted to have a range on my land to personally shoot, the insurance company would require a rider which was well over $10K a year. Even worse was the policy didn't cover anything outside of my property. So if a round struck a neighbor a mile away, I would likely be denied coverage and would be on my own. A ten million dollar lawsuit today is very common for accidental death.

My recommendation is ........fugetaboutit!

mcgoo

Mar 9, 2018
    I have no doubt that there would be major liability if someone got hit with a stray round, I am sure someone could sue for that no matter if i shoot on my property, a public range, or if i am out hunting in the woods somewhere remote.
    The sound issue is a concern, but it seems that is not illegal or anything that costs me money as much as maybe my neighbors not liking me ....and maybe they tell me i cannot continue to shoot there if they make enough fuss.

I would really like to figure out how to "file" a properly posted range though so that I am not committing a misdemeanor by firing inside that county line.

usc45cal

nothing
    Nov 14, 2009
    I got busted for an air rifle , 5 cops showed up and i had just opened the box on the porch , they commented i was shooting an assault rifle whatever that means !!!!!!!
    they badgered me for 1/2 hour and i just walked back in my house and locked the door , within my reach waas a 40 and a 40 on the wall , they left and left the neighbors info , i called her (i know her ) and her family , bottom line in BC everything is a no no

Norbalco

Feb 24, 2017
    I shoot suppressed 22 often on my property. Have shot larger caliber but don’t want to bother neighbors and raise flags

usc45cal

nothing
    Nov 14, 2009
    probably my fault not checking the laws, never thought it was illegal for an air gun ? we have fox problems that's why i got the gammo whisper

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    There is a boundary line in Baltimore County that is called the metropolitan district. If you are inside the line, it is a no no. If you are outside the line it is supposed to be ok as long as you follow the other rules about distances to dwellings etc. The precinct should have a map with it. Someone posted if a long time ago. A quick search turned this up:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=51634

This map was in that thread. Read the entire thread.
    IANAL.

oops just reread your question. You have the map. Never mind... I will leave it here for others.....

Attachments

• BaltCountyMetroDistrictMapforPoliceDeptUse3-24-2014.pdf
      3.1 MB · Views: 635

mcgoo

Mar 9, 2018
    Once you pay for tax stamp and buy first one do you have to wait for each one after that or is the waiting period waved on additional ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom