• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • But it still costs to defend yourself. And they will bleed you dry if they can....because we pay for their expenses through taxes as well as our own.

When is the last time you were at the range and a LEO asked to look at your rifle? It doesn't happen...and even if they did your answer should be no....learn your rights and grow a set..

what is your breaking point for compliance? Banning possession of mags holding 10 rounds? Banning possession of more than 100 rounds of ammo? Completely banning ownership of all modern sporting rifles? Are you willing to draw the line or you be good little lemmings and do as you are told...many of you are already there...

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    When is the last time you were at the range and a LEO asked to look at your rifle? It doesn't happen...and even if they did your answer should be no....learn your rights and grow a set..

what is your breaking point for compliance? Banning possession of mags holding 10 rounds? Banning possession of more than 100 rounds of ammo? Completely banning ownership of all modern sporting rifles? Are you willing to draw the line or you be good little lemmings and do as you are told...many of you are already there...

I've found that those that talk a big game on the interwebz tend to be timid in practice.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Just pointing out that it can cost money even if you are completely innocent and completely exonerated in the end. Didn't mention being stopped at a range, compliance, mags, modern sporting rifles or drawing lines.:sad20:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Maybe I'm just dense, but why not just buy a hbar rifle? It's essentially the same rifle and perfectly legal to purchase and possess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Jan 25, 2017
    I have a polymer 80 lower that I thought I might fit with a 223 Wylde upper. I can get a nice upper at a good price from PSA with an 18 inch A2 style stainless barrel. I dread I already know the answer but I'll ask it anyway. Does the barrel have to be an HBAR?

Barrel only has to be HBAR if you possessed the lower after 1 October 2013. If you the lower in possession prior to 1 October 2013, you don't have to have an HBAR. This is assuming that you're building a rifle. If you're building a pistol, it doesn't matter.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Out of curiosity, how can MD enforce a law when they would have no way of knowing when you bought the lower? Do they assume it's not grandfathered unless you can prove it is? Is the burden on the state to prove it's illegal, or on the individual to prove it's legal? It just seems like a law that is pretty hard to enforce unless they catch someone in the act of buying the gun, or a gun.

So they confiscate your firearm and arrest you. Charge you, and you go to court (after hiring a lawyer).

Even if the case is thrown out because the state cannot prove when you bought it, what is the cost to YOU at this point?

You have an arrest record. You have had to pay bail and legal fees.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    I don't even know WHY MD did the Hbar requirement anyway. Was it so that hunter's would have to lug around an extra couple pounds through the woods? it's not like people are getting mowed down with rifles in MD (that includes ar's).

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's a leftover from the original Maryland AWB from the '90s.

They wanted to ban ALL AR's at the time, but some competitors complained that they'd be banning the rifle they used for their Camp Perry matches or whatever, so to show what good guys they were and how they "didn't want to take your guns" they wrote the HBAR exception in to that bill. Then, when they wrote the FSA 2013, they just copy / pasted the list from the original law and used that, including the HBAR exemption.

And people aren't getting mowed down with rifles *ANYWHERE*. Just look at the FBI's uniform crime statistics reports - murders by *any* kind of rifle (not just "assault weapons") hover at around 2% of all murders in the US every year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, it was exempted to show that they were not against "legitimate" sporting use, such as matches.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I was just discussing this with some friends tonight and was shocked to find out that many of them were oblivious to the HBAR requirement when building or planning to build rifles using post ban lowers. Is there a document or directive somewhere out there that spells out this requirement or do I need to comb through SB281 to find it and then interpret it? I would like to share it with them before they unknowingly make themselves felons.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I was just discussing this with some friends tonight and was shocked to find out that many of them were oblivious to the HBAR requirement when building or planning to build rifles using post ban lowers. Is there a document or directive somewhere out there that spells out this requirement or do I need to comb through SB281 to find it and then interpret it? I would like to share it with them before they unknowingly make themselves felons.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document ...3 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf

Top of page 2.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

It's not in FSA2013 aka SB281.

This rule stems from the fact that "Standard" Colt Ar-15 (and clones) are banned (and prior to being banned, considered "regulated"), but the Colt HBAR is not. AR-15s interchangeable with the Colt HBAR, not banned. others banned. Clear as mud, right? How H does the BAR have to be to be not banned?

The only guidance MDSP has given on paper is that the barrel be marked or marketed as heavy barrel. There is no weight or dimensional guidance. Marked, or advertised as HBAR. thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom