What the best tool to use for snow on the roof?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Seems to be a timely topic. I've watched a bunch of u-tube vids on this and looks like most have a home made contraption of some sort. I'm all for saving money but I'd rather not nuke my shingles in the process of using my trusty double-barreled, hi-cap snow slayer I just made-up in the garage.

Single story home, peaked roof.

Thoughts please.
    Thank-you.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Flame thrower and antimony.

Seriously, a lot depends on how much. I've seen snow "rakes" that allow you to throw the "rake" up on the roof, then pull down snow a section at a time.

I've known folks to get up there with a snow shovel too...just push it off. Made sense to me twenty years ago...wouldn't consider it myself now.

Best of luck.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This. Has the angle to get the snow and has the guides on the bottom so not to mess up your shingles. Got one after the multiple blizzards about 10 years ago. Works good, just remember to wear your snow suit when pulling all that snow down.

Attachments

• ABB8D9F6-68A4-4476-B614-4892BB73C5BC.jpg
      ABB8D9F6-68A4-4476-B614-4892BB73C5BC.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 373

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you have a newer roof with an ice guard layer and decent pitch, then just let it melt, attempting to clear it is more likely to damage it than a little snow. If your roof is flat and crappy then a soft foamie Roof Rake from Homey Depot will help you clear a couple feet along the bottom, really all you need to keep gutters clear and prevent ice damming. Outside of a rare Snowpacalypse over a couple feet, there isn't much if any danger from the weight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    105 Recoiless Rifle. They work great on cornices and avalanche fields.

Attachments

• 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 299

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No matter what, make sure you clear out your downspouts so the melt can run off. Otherwise you'd have frozen downspouts and ice dams. I have two on the NW side of my house that hardly see any sun. One year they were frozen solid for a good week-ten days.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    This. Has the angle to get the snow and has the guides on the bottom so not to mess up your shingles. Got one after the multiple blizzards about 10 years ago. Works good, just remember to wear your snow suit when pulling all that snow down.

I use this when we have more than 12-18 inches. It also depends how dense it is and if it's going to rain.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Zamboni. You can skate or play ice hockey on it afterwards.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    No matter what, make sure you clear out your downspouts so the melt can run off. Otherwise you'd have frozen downspouts and ice dams. I have two on the NW side of my house that hardly see any sun. One year they were frozen solid for a good week-ten days.

This is what concerns me,the snow melting then freezing.We have ice guards but I've seen what ice will do to gutters. So, remove snow and take care of the problem.

Course I could always have my henway drive the zambronie on the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom