• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Oh wow. I've never had that happen to mine. My first machete I bought when I was 16. The GI model. So far I've not had any issues with the handle. Have you tried their machetes with the molded handles with hard? I have two of those also. I actually like those molded handles better.

Part of the problem is that I let my daughters chop firewood with it while camping and they hit a log repeatedly in a non-perpendicular stroke, inducing handle vibration...which backed out half of one of the press-fit handle rivets. The paracord in the pic below looks like it would prevent this from happening but all I had on hand before we left was tennis racquet grip wrap. :o

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My local Tractor supply had a lot of knives including machetes on sale when I was there today picking up a couple of last minute presents.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    My local Tractor supply had a lot of knives including machetes on sale when I was there today picking up a couple of last minute presents.

I've been surprised at the knives/machetes at Walmart, Home Depot, Cabelas recently.

Sog, Kershaw, Gerber with comparable prices to online and some nice "sets" for $10-20

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've had a US version OKC for so long (well over 30yrs) I forget where I got it. I beat the hell out of it over the years but it keeps on choppin. You just can't hurt them. As others said the rivets come loose with time but I never bothered to try to tighten them. Used a file to sharpen for years but just recently tried a wetstone and got paper slicing edge without any trouble at all. It's great for cutting brush but kinda big for the car since its about the length of a short sword.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I've got a cold steel magnum kukri machete. its about twice as thick as my cheap 5 dollar lowes machete. it functions more like a hatchet. the cheap thin one from lowes actually takes less effort to chop things, and when sharpened with a angle grinder has no problem making it through branches up to 2" in a single swing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom