• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Kershaw camp 18 is very nice, it has a little recurve and a nice scabbed that can mount to Molle or a belt loop. I think I paid $40 bucks for mine.

+1. I use mine all the time for clearing shooting lanes near a tree I pick out and for branches in the yard. Very tough and stays sharp.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I like them and have one(GI model) but I also hate how their crappy handle rivets back out and get lost with use and vibration...which reminds me- I have to get another one to replace the rivet that went missing last time I went camping this past Summer.

Oh wow. I've never had that happen to mine. My first machete I bought when I was 16. The GI model. So far I've not had any issues with the handle. Have you tried their machetes with the molded handles with hard? I have two of those also. I actually like those molded handles better.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Love my Fiskars brush axe and machete axe. The shorter brush axe hacks through loose brush, and the hooked shape helps pull cleared stuff free, it's still tough enough to chop through branches up to an inch or two thick, they are still around, but the new bilhook is the same idea. The Machete axe can hook stuff to pull it out, can chop suprisingly large branches, and the weight keeps plowing through bush and branches. It's big, so takes some room to swing, but each section performs a task, really nice to push the sharpened flat tip to cut at the root, or use the back side, which works ok for hacking, but should have been a saw. It looks like some klingon battle sword, which can be fun or dorky. For defense in a car, a simple on-body weapon like pepper spray is far superior provided adequate training. There isn't room to swing a machete, only works well outside of the car on foot, so either have to be an idiot to get out of the car and fight instead of driving away, or it's uselessly tucked away in the car, you are on foot, and there is a bad guy in the way preventing you from getting to it.

Fiskars-29-Inch-Machete-Axe.jpg

Nice slicer

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just remember, every time one draws a kukri, one must draw blood with it. ;)

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    This is the Newest one I bought. I really like it and it sharpened up real nice. One of these days we will do a review of it. 18" ONTARIO KNIFE. Made in the US. Knife sheath is a 18" Rothcol one from Amazon. I bought both from Amazon.. Para cord is extra. :D

Machete. 18.99
    Sheath. 16.99

Not bad for 36 bucks to the door.

Attachments

• 20161218_144926.jpg
      20161218_144926.jpg
      209.9 KB · Views: 220
    • 20161218_144933.jpg
      20161218_144933.jpg
      214.8 KB · Views: 219

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park

I'd avoid the Gerber Jr. the handle is already loose on mine, and I've read reports of them breaking off completely.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    This is the Newest one I bought. I really like it and it sharpened up real nice. One of these days we will do a review of it. 18" ONTARIO KNIFE. Made in the US. Knife sheath is a 18" Rothcol one from Amazon. I bought both from Amazon.. Para cord is extra. :D

Machete. 18.99
    Sheath. 16.99

I have the same machete. I took it to Willey Knives in Delaware and had them put a wicked edge on it.

Hell of a nice blade. Cuts through anything in the woods I hunt and it is very solid. I also use a cheaper sheathe that I got with a Harbor Freight machete back in the day. It actually sliced through it the last time I used it tho.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    looks good at first glance but how the hell does he get those out of the sheaths without cutting the holders/sheaths both on chest and in the coat

they look more like sown in ornaments than usable weapons

:lol2:

Attachments

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 189

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'd avoid the Gerber Jr. the handle is already loose on mine, and I've read reports of them breaking off completely.

Hmm thanks.
    I bought one as a gift for one of my boys and it hasn't been used much. I figured it would be solid with the Gerber name.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Machete. 18.99
    Sheath. 16.99

That's what I'm talkin' about. :thumbsup:

Machete. 18.99
    Sheath. 16.99

That's what I'm talkin' about. :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's what I consider a machete,anything else is a "specialty" knife.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I like a machete with a handguard for yard/camp work just so it's a little more secure from flying out of your hands.
    For SD purposes, I like a point on my machetes for the stabbing addition to it's slashing/chopping abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom