• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I've been looking to scope my 336 for a while now. I'm looking at these parts. Any local IP have them or something comparable you'd recommend? I haven't seen them anywhere. My intention is to mount the scope as low as I can get it. Not concerned with irons. Open to other scopes but I like Nikon. This will be a backup hunting rifle/fun gun. Rather give my money to an IP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 244

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Went thru the same issue with my pass-down 336CS.

It can be done, easily - the PITA part is trying to raise the comb up enough to get a decent cheekweld.

But that was for me and that rifle, YMMV.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I used similar rings and mounts on mine but it was many years ago. I found a 3x9 Simmons I really liked. Killed many a deer with that rifle.mdrive a tack, pleasure to shoot. Scope, rings rifle and base over 25 years old and still going strong!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Very nice rifle, but unless your vision is bad, or its your only option for midrange rifle, why not just stay with iron sights?

Besides putting an expensive Leopold optic on a 336, isn't that like putting Brembo breaks on a Honda civic ? :)

Just teasing, post a pick when your done. If I had to do a scope on a 336, maybe a fixed 2.5 or 3 power might be nice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sorry just read your posts, missed the Nikon. That still more scope than rifle.

Is it 30-30, or .357 variety? I still say keep it clean with irons only for your purpose of backup hunting and occasional plinker. Much more kid friendly too with open iron sights. Unless you are already bored with it.

Buy a good/decent bolt gun if you want a Nikon scope on something more appropriate for an optic. Just discovering now I'm not a fan of scopes on lever guns. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well first off , 40mm objective and mouny low to Marlin don't belong in the same paragraph. If you are serious about mounting low , you should be thinking 20mm objective.

FWIW , Weaver bases are commonly seen in just about any chain store that sells any bases at all. With a 20mm scope , it *might* fit with low rings.

But like Minuteman said there is a large body of thought that traditional lever actions are best suited w/o scopes for reasons of balance , handling ( two of main virtues of such guns ) , and asectics . If the open sights just don't work for you , consider Lyman/ Redfield/ Williams peep sight. Last time I shot 100yd groups with a Williams equiped Marlin lever , gave 1.75moa , which I considered within the margin of error of the capability of the gun and load.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I dont want irons on this gun. Infact, I actually already lost the rear site taking it on a hunting trip years ago it drifted off in the back of my jeep and I dont plan on finding it or replacing it ever. I want to scope it and use it as a backup/second option to my other rifle which is much longer and a little bit more to lug around. I already have several decent bolt guns with scopes. Thats not what I am looking for.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I dont want irons on this gun. Infact, I actually already lost the rear site taking it on a hunting trip years ago it drifted off in the back of my jeep and I dont plan on finding it or replacing it ever. I want to scope it and use it as a backup/second option to my other rifle which is much longer and a little bit more to lug around. I already have several decent bolt guns with scopes. Thats not what I am looking for.

ok, understood. Let me look for a couple minutes.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you insist, he's what I would go with:

Nikon P-223 3-9x40mm Rifle Scope 8497

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3-9x40-bdc-600-rifle-scope.html

Now let me explain why.

opplanet-nikon-p-223-3-9x40-rifle-scope-matte-black-w-bdc-600-reticle-8497-w-nikon-p-series-mou-main.jpg

- Very nice Nikon scope, rated 4.5 stars in 49 reviews; on OpticPlanet (highly reputable)
    - It's only $200 and that includes P-Series Nikon mounts, very good.
    - Technically designed for 223, so it will work great with your AR, or if you ever sell it, lots of people will want it.
    - It's 3-9x40, so not as low as you probably want, but at 3 power you can easily shoot 50 yards; or zoom in to get a better placed shot out to 100 or so.
    - Nitrogen-filled and o-ring sealed for a waterproof and fog proof rifle scope
    - Matte black, perfect for a hunting rifle

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I'd probably sell the scope and mounts off of my 336. I don't like scopes nor do I know much about them. My setup came on it when I bought it used awhile back.

It didn't come with any irons, so I'll have to buy some to put back on it. Selling the scope and mounts would help pay for that.

I'll have to check what type of scope it is.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have recommended this several times on here, IMHO they are the cat's meow, with back up sights, pic rail, and allows you to put tip off rings on your scope.

The scope below is a good value with good light gathering properties, and routinely rated high in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life for great scope value

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...r-actions-aluminum-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...g-eye-relief-multi-x-reticle-matte?cm_vc=U112

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...lease-weaver-style-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I have virtually the same rig on my deer rifle and 10/22.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Anyone use these IronSighters on their lever action rifles?

irsee-thru.jpg

They make 'em for rails as well.
    227.jpg

Yeah, these have been on my 336 and I like them. The scope is 40mm 3-9 Bushnell that does the job. It's nice to be able to use the iron sights if needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 215

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I ended up with the DNZ mount and a Leupold 2-7x33mm VX-1. I dont think I could find a better set up. The mount and optics costed just about the same as the rifle... but you get what you pay for. I am very happy. I zeroed very quickly and while I wont shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, I could easily nail beer cans. With how much more comfortable and enjoyable this gun is to shoot, I plan on practicing with it alot more throughout the year than I ever did with my 700 in 30-06, and next year this will be my deer gun.

Now the crappy part of my story. I had a friend who came out with me and also had a lever gun sitting in his safe for years and wanted to do the same as I did. We picked up a "Sun Optics" scope for him and put a set of Leupold mounts that I had laying around on it. We couldnt get it on paper at 25 yards and after wasting a bunch of ammo and looking like idiots, found a gigantic target and set it up really close, we could not get the elevation to adjust and it was about a foot and a half low at 25 yards. We stopped at bass pro on the way home and picked up a Leupold and both of us pretty much swore we would never stray away from Leupold/Nikon/the nicer Bushnell scopes and a few other affordable name brands. If we had got him the Leupold the first time, we would have saved the 50$ in gas money/ammo/range fee to zero his rifle. I read so many recommendations for low end optics for these guns to save money and I cant disagree more. We tried that and ended up spending more just fixing the mistake, and now we probably wont even get is rifle zeroed till next weekend. Thank you Sun Optics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      100.7 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom