• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know, I know , the definition of insanity is to keep repeating , and expect different results . But .....

I really like the * idea * of a 10/22 , but am cursed with consecutive non-functional ones . But the Gym Ratz Flash Sale was sooooo low , to almost make them disposable . So just got off the phone with John paying for the last one . ( Pick-up to follow later .)

But I don't want to go down another rabbit hole of frustration, and pull out my remaining hairs . So I have a Litmus Test in mind - Two ( factory) mags full for break in / alibis . Subsequently 50rds of bang every time .

So . Other than the typical clean and lube witg good stuff , anything simplish to preemptively do ?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    No debate for me with Mini-Mags. If they won't run, it's most likely the gun. But then I know you know that.

I've also had good luck with Federal Auto Match in mine. A less expensive alternative that's performed well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I know, I know , the definition of insanity is to keep repeating , and expect different results . But .....
    I really like the * idea * of a 10/22 , but am cursed with consecutive non-functional ones."

I was having the same issues...not reliable enough or rather ho-hum performance. Then I bought a used range
    10/22 and a wood stocked take down. I am happy with them both.

Pre-emptively speaking, good mags and bedding the thing. My take down receiver screw would not stay tight during one
    range session. Neither did the used rental gun. Most likely was affecting accuracy. Be sure to keep the stock's pressure
    pad under the front of the barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On Rimfire Central recieved advise to polish inside of reciever with green ScotchBrite , lube with dry lube .

Tempted to preemptively have bolt assy blueprinted and upgraded .

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I prefer building a 10/22 from scratch. Use good parts and they always work 100%. I only buy a complete factory 10/22 when I want a potential parts gun.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you walked away with a bargain, spend a little more and get the better trigger assembly. Plenty of vids on how the 10/22s come apart. Also a nylon bolt buffer will cost you a buck and significantly quiets the gun and whatever felt recoil occurs. Depending on your setup, you could add the Tech Sights to increase accuracy.

I have mine setup exactly how I want it with all the upgrades noted above and I love it.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I bought one that was having some issues. Used a Scotchbrite pad throughout the inside of the receiver, smoothed it all up and now runs perfect. Very easy to do and will solve a lot of problems.

I always upgrade to the BX trigger. I went the Volquartsen route on my first one, but to me the BX trigger is just as good. The tech sights are also a nice upgrade.

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    As with most semi-auto .22LR rifles, using almost any high-velocity ammunition just under 1300 FPS makes 'em run well. Polishing a few surfaces can make a big difference. If you continue to have problems, buy a Marlin 795!

I only have 2 10/22's; guess I better get with the program. Every time I go to a show I always see some tricked out 10/22's. One day I may walk out with one.
    Just brought home my 4th today
    1d985a1dba4cab882d3fcbed2f116e7f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom