• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Anybody ever had success contacting a seller on Gunbroker and trying to negotiate a lower price on an item?

I'm looking for a police trade-in 11-87 and there are quite a few floating around on there which aren't going anywhere.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have not tried. I did once offer a price higher than an item was worth and he went in and changed the auction to one with a BIN so that I could buy it outright.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    A good friend of mine did. Took abut a month to get the price down on a S&W .41 Cal wheel gun. I tried recently on an early S&W 36 but it sold at a higher price while I was negotiating. Give it a try.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Anybody ever had success contacting a seller on Gunbroker and trying to negotiate a lower price on an item?

I'm looking for a police trade-in 11-87 and there are quite a few floating around on there which aren't going anywhere.

Absolutely! The two times I've bought used guns on GB, I offered less than the Buy It Now price and both sellers accepted without a lot of hesitation.

All they can do is say no.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I would hope someone would go for that deal!

Not necessarily. I recently watched a PTR44 sell for just shy of 10K and they just aren't worth that at this time. Sometimes, the risk of a bidding war is worse than just offering more than the seller thinks it's worth right up front. In the end, you usually make out anyways as prices rise over time.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I was recently successful in negotiating a combined cost on 2 used revolvers from the same seller. The price for both was lower than what they would have sold for individually.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Why not? Many of the sellers have b&m shops. If someone comes in the store and make a reasonable offer they pull the GB listing. I bet it happens more often than known.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've done it with some success on GB and EBay. No harm in trying.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Why not? Many of the sellers have b&m shops. If someone comes in the store and make a reasonable offer they pull the GB listing. I bet it happens more often than known.

I did just that with an 11-87. Contacted the shop as they were in Coatesville and went up, haggled, and bought it.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    While technically against the rules, I have done that. Saw a gun in MD that I wanted, emailed him, and we just did a face-to-face transaction.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I bid pretty high for a handgun once that I really wanted as it was pristine and included a nice original holster. Bidding didn't reach the reserve. I contacted the seller to ask what what the reserve was, it was 50 bucks higher than I bid. The seller agreed to let it go for my bid.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Got my Star B that way. Contacted the seller after watching it not sell because it's starting price was too high and asked the seller if he would sell to a C&R holder. I wanted it because it was made the year I was born and made a lower offer. The seller was impressed that I could tell him what year it was made and it's realistic value, he accepted my offer and both of us were happy with the transaction!

It never hurts to try negotiating. As a rule of thumb, I try to be reasonable with my offers and have a little fun with the process. Be mindful that some people love negotiating while others hate it and proceed accordingly.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have haggled online.

Make an offer that you think is fair if the item does not move, and give the seller your contact information like an email address.

Most of the time, you will get follow up questions. Once the seller does not have to pay the brokerage fee, then their wheels start turning.

The downside of doing this, is that you lose the protections of the brokerage if you get ripped off. So it is important to deal with reputable people.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

I did it with my 1866 Winchester. Guy wanted $1K. I messaged him and offered $900 shipped and he took it. I placed the starting bid of $900 and he sent it to my FFL.

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    A little friendly negotiation is how I got my PS90 down from almost $2k (way overpriced) to around $1500. It’s certainly possible, just depends on the seller. I believe it’s against the site rules though, but meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom