Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 10th, 2018, 10:55 AM #11

I have a L9A1 and love shooting it. Trigger in my opinion is better than a glock. With a higher hand hold there is less muzzle rise. It took me a mag or 2 to get used to the sites. But once I did, I really liked them. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Boss94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 10:47 AM #12
Have CCW

Have CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
Noted. My apologies to the O.P.

If you're looking for lowest recoil, ill offer up a test drive of my cz SP-01 with tuned springs, anytime you're interested. The extra mass of the gun makes recoil seem less, in my experience.
I usually get back to Iowa every summer. With the exception of last summer, I try to trade off and get a different gun to carry and try out for a few weeks before leaving for Korea.

May not get back this summer, as we are planning a permanent move back to Iowa in 2019.

I did get to shoot several guns that I have asked about, when visiting the local indoor range. I don't remember a Steyr there, at the time. What I have learned is that I shoot guns with thin grips and chunky bodies well, and fatter ones and/or with thinner barrels poorly (bad with M&P). So far, had the best luck with the single stack 9mm Glock.

The Steyr seemed to have many similar qualities in grip angle and grip thinness. I seem to do well with the Glock's grip angle, and bore axis. I have a light tremor in my hand, which gets worse with shooting a box of ammo. More grip angle gives me a more steady purchase -- maybe with the angle my hand is at keeping the tremor less -- improving my accuracy. I can shoot my 1911 ok (for me), but accuracy goes south pretty fast from tremor worsening with fatigue.
Old March 11th, 2018, 03:08 PM #13

For thin grip and chunky slide, you might also try the fns or fn-509. Though, like the steyr, there is zero after market support.
gwchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM #14
Have CCW

Have CCW

So how do you fix a Steyr?
Old March 11th, 2018, 07:15 PM #15

I am a big fan of the M9A1. Just wish it would have sold better, had more aftermarket support, and then more development in the early 2000s.

Yes its flat shooting and fast cycling. The traps are wacky but work well. The trigger with the BT part I talk about below is great.

***Before you read on, note that I am talking about original M9A1s. Not sure these are still issues with newer models.***

The older models had small and heavy mag release button, now remedied by Ranger Point Tacticals spring. The new models have bigger buttons, so I cannot talk to those. Link below.

They also had issues with mag springs and extractor springs. Steyr CS sent me new stuff.

There was a part in the firing system that would sometimes bind and your trigger pull would go to like 10lbs every 100 rounds or so. A guy named Big Taco made the Glide Rite Striker Guide. This fixed the problem and smoothed the trigger. $12!

Again, not sure this is still a problem.

https://btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/

http://www.rangerpointstore.com/stey...tol-parts.html

I still love my M9A1 although I don't shoot it much anymore. I wish the L9A1 was a little longer but at some point I want to try one out.

Last edited by rayrevolver; March 12th, 2018 at 09:10 AM.
rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns