• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Haven't decided between an M16A3/A4 style rifle next or a shorter M4 carbine style rifle. Currently have a Windham R16A4T that i'll be keeping stock.

If I go M4 carbine build route i'll get a colt 6721, with the KAC quad rail, and an eotech. No real plans to modify anything else.

If I go M16A3/A4 so far i've seen the Stag Arms Model 4 is MD legal. Seems as though the Colt AR15A4 is not legal. How about the Bushmaster 90325? Are there any other A3/A4 style rifles that are sold md compliant? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You already have the WW carbine so an M4 build will essentially duplicate it, still leaving a "hole" in your arms battery. I suggest the A3/A4 build.

Doing research on true military A3/A4 configuration will be beneficial. I just started doing it and it is interesting and surprising. Commercial versions frequently differ. Plus you cannot obtain burst nor auto fire capabilty. Well, 40k might get you that. Because of Maryland law you will need an HBAR assuming a post-2013 receiver. If you can find a 20" .750" profile barrel that meets the HBAR criteria, cool. It will probably be easier to pop for a fluted HBAR (under the handguards) to get closer to the balance of an A4. It should have M4 feedramps.

Without going into specifics you will essentially build a flat top HBAR A2 with M4 feedramps and the finer sight adjustment carry handle. I see it as a precursor to the DMR, the original with auto fire capability.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    for your 2nd, build one. Lots of threads on that, but most will depend on your budget vs features to make something ideal for what you want to do with it.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Sounds like you have some experience, but for a novice like me, I would highly commend the LWRC DI. Just over $1k. Well constructed. Great, right out of the box. Gotta spring for flip up sights or a scope, though. And the damn thing looks purdy.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Do something different. Build on an A2 upper.

This is the one I just did....

Attachments

• AR_105.jpg
      AR_105.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 439

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Do something different. Build on an A2 upper.

This is the one I just did....
    Digging the build, especially the ODG furniture. I noticed not long ago I had way too many all black guns, Handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, hunting rifles, MSR’s. Been swapping out a lot of furniture lately for FDE & ODG. Digging the look. Nice work.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Digging the build, especially the ODG furniture. I noticed not long ago I had way too many all black guns, Handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, hunting rifles, MSR’s. Been swapping out a lot of furniture lately for FDE & ODG. Digging the look. Nice work.

Thank you!

And that is why I did it. I wanted something not so mainstream. I was going for the XM 177, and while I can't go 100 % due to being left handed and requiring the shell deflector, I think it was close. I also decided to stay away from NFA. So yeah silly flash hider.

Still cool me thinks.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Ended up with a Stag Arms Retro 15 (model 4 re release with different barrel twist). Hard to pass up the rifle at the price point I got it at, $608.
    323379b1509293ba15268aebae190324.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ended up with a Stag Arms Retro 15 (model 4 re release with different barrel twist). Hard to pass up the rifle at the price point I got it at, $608.
    323379b1509293ba15268aebae190324.jpg

I have the same rifle. Great shooter and no issues so far. If you really want to make it versatile, grab a dissipator upper for it as well. You will still have the longer rifle feel and sights with a shorter barrel. My favorite setup.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I have the same rifle. Great shooter and no issues so far. If you really want to make it versatile, grab a dissipator upper for it as well. You will still have the longer rifle feel and sights with a shorter barrel. My favorite setup.

The rifles I buy I like to keep in their stock configuration for the most part. I know windham has a dissipator rifle for $750-800. Never shot one before. Think my next purchase is a .308 AR or an arsenal 104-31 if I can snag one up.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The rifles I buy I like to keep in their stock configuration for the most part. I know windham has a dissipator rifle for $750-800. Never shot one before. Think my next purchase is a .308 AR or an arsenal 104-31 if I can snag one up.

You can get a Windham dissipator upper only to put on this lower; then you'll have a two for one.

[EDIT] just make sure to get the HBAR version.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    You can get a Windham dissipator upper only to put on this lower; then you'll have a two for one.

[EDIT] just make sure to get the HBAR version.

I'd rather just buy a whole other rifle honestly. I'd like to check one out though, haven't handled one before

-seeing the hbar windham dissipator runs mid $500's new online.... might be a tax return purchase

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom