• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I was considering selling my sub2000 and get the JR Carbine takedown. When I take the sub2000 to the range though I change my mind. I'm surprised how accurate it is even with crappy sights. I just want a 9mm carbine to use with my can. Maybe I will come across a gen 2 or sbr a dedicated lower.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I've been meaning to post this somewhere on this forum. Little late for this thread. I've had these for years and purchase before California went ti $hit. They are dead accurate 16 inch bbl that the bolt shrouded the bbl.This accurately centers it square in the chamber. I used to shoot these at a tank hatch T 200 yards. I would shoot wait couple of seconds then tink. There are come bad reviews and I pretty much know why. It was shipped with a plastic feed ramp that are prone to breaking. It works better with hot rounds and I push the 147 gr JHP around 1250 - 1300 fps. I keep this ammo separate just for these. In 68 Guns and Ammo evaluated these and the barrel you see is heavy as hell. They filled a case with bullseye at the J&R factory and clocked it at 2000fps with no damage to the rifle and I think the case was ok. I had the issue but lost it during one of my moves. I have extra barrels and I would love to suppress the M80. I understand the magazines are rare but available through the mfg who has the rights to the Linda pistol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 923

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I think tne NTW carbine is close to that money wise maybe $100.00 more . Nice gun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm looking for a 9mm carbine with a a 16 inch barrel and a folding stock for under $600. I'm actually very surprised to see how few options there are out there that fit this criteria.

If Hi-Point offered a folding stock on the 995TS, that would basically fit the bill. A Sub-2000 might work too, though I don't feel like paying 175% of the retail price.

Any suggestions?

I bought my sub2k figuring i would probably hate it if not immediately, eventually. I was wrong. This thing is pimp!

Kel tec sub 2000 all the way.

New Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm that takes Glock 17 mags for $450 ...

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=60329

Based on past experience with Kentucky Gun, I would suggest you tell them immediately to hold/remove the mag (in the order comment field ... and maybe call them too) before shipping, or they may get nervous and cancel your oder.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    I have a JR 9mm carbine 17" free float barrel that takes glock mags in the classifieds. I haven't had much interest in it I think due to negative reviews online. I have never had an issue with mine and I can meet you at a range to shoot it if you want. At 50 yards the groups are impressive. To get the JR carbine I sold my Sub 2k because it did not have that rifle feel for me. Now I selling the JR to get a Galil Ace.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Obvious choice is Kel-Tec Sub2k. However, you are probably also aware that they are hard as anything to find.

troyirving

Aug 1, 2016
    Hagerstown-ish
    Why not build a 9mm AR pistol with an arm brace? Not subject to OAL SBR requirements so you can go as short as you like. I have one that takes colt mags and it's my HD setup. Mine is more expensive as most dedicated colt mag lowers (aside from CMMG's which I think is ugly) are a bit more expensive, but you could do a glock lower build and make it relatively cheap. If you're interested I'd be more than happy to put a build list together for you.

9mm lowers are also cash and carry, no wait.

5PslvEQ.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ill put another plug in for the JRC. Had my father's out over the weekend, insanely accurate, reliable, simple.

Keltec is ok for what it is built for but very uncomfortable and not the best functional ergonomics, especially not at the price point they are selling for.

Going to have to have one of these.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Ill put another plug in for the JRC. Had my father's out over the weekend, insanely accurate, reliable, simple.

Keltec is ok for what it is built for but very uncomfortable and not the best functional ergonomics, especially not at the price point they are selling for.

Going to have to have one of these.

There are trade offs in most things. The Keltec Sub2K, in its stock condition, offers a degree of "compact concealability" which other 16" barrel rifles cannot. And it is a lightweight easy to deploy platform. That certainly may not appeal to the person looking for a range gun. But it absolutely fills the bill for having something nearby to address a bad situation in a hurry. Something that will likely be a surprise to most folks who do not expect a 32" rifle to be hiding in so small a place as a briefcase or backpack.

It is very convenient to have a rifle, in pistol caliber, which uses the same magazines as your pistol. The 31 round Glock magazine certainly does not leave one short on ammo. Ammo which can be bought at under $10.00 per 50 rounds (9mm).

Practicing deployment and use of the Sub2K is important so that one gets used to the less than ergonomic features. There are companies such as MCARBO who are working on improving the ergonomics of the rifle with better trigger, spring set, trigger guard, replacement sights, and other improvements. Upgrades which won't add to the bulk of the rifle but will improve its function.

Yes... There ARE much more ergonomic rifles out there... And you'll see them much quicker... Because, they are that much more difficult to keep from view when not in use.

While some will champion the idea of a 9mm (or other caliber) AR pistol... And they DO have their appeal... I'm certainly NOT knocking anyones choice... But, they are STILL a pistol and as such, they are much more heavily regulated. If I'm going to carry a pistol around... It may as well be a pistol that can be carried in a holster on my side. Not one that is as big or bigger than the folded up and stowed away Sub2K.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I've been meaning to post this somewhere on this forum. Little late for this thread. I've had these for years and purchase before California went ti $hit. They are dead accurate 16 inch bbl that the bolt shrouded the bbl.This accurately centers it square in the chamber. I used to shoot these at a tank hatch T 200 yards. I would shoot wait couple of seconds then tink. There are come bad reviews and I pretty much know why. It was shipped with a plastic feed ramp that are prone to breaking. It works better with hot rounds and I push the 147 gr JHP around 1250 - 1300 fps. I keep this ammo separate just for these. In 68 Guns and Ammo evaluated these and the barrel you see is heavy as hell. They filled a case with bullseye at the J&R factory and clocked it at 2000fps with no damage to the rifle and I think the case was ok. I had the issue but lost it during one of my moves. I have extra barrels and I would love to suppress the M80. I understand the magazines are rare but available through the mfg who has the rights to the Linda pistol.

I haven't seen a Linda in years !! My father always wanted 1 with the cone flash hider. Very nice collection !!!

troyirving

Aug 1, 2016
    Hagerstown-ish
    But, they are STILL a pistol and as such, they are much more heavily regulated.

In the AR's scenario in Maryland, it's actually the opposite. A rifle form AR (in 5.56) must have a heavy barrel; AR pistols aren't subject to this rule. An SBR isn't subject to it either but must maintain 29" OAL because of the copycat issues. AR pistol's are not subject to this rule either.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There are trade offs in most things. The Keltec Sub2K, in its stock condition, offers a degree of "compact concealability" which other 16" barrel rifles cannot. And it is a lightweight easy to deploy platform. That certainly may not appeal to the person looking for a range gun. But it absolutely fills the bill for having something nearby to address a bad situation in a hurry. Something that will likely be a surprise to most folks who do not expect a 32" rifle to be hiding in so small a place as a briefcase or backpack.

It is very convenient to have a rifle, in pistol caliber, which uses the same magazines as your pistol. The 31 round Glock magazine certainly does not leave one short on ammo. Ammo which can be bought at under $10.00 per 50 rounds (9mm).

Practicing deployment and use of the Sub2K is important so that one gets used to the less than ergonomic features. There are companies such as MCARBO who are working on improving the ergonomics of the rifle with better trigger, spring set, trigger guard, replacement sights, and other improvements. Upgrades which won't add to the bulk of the rifle but will improve its function.

Yes... There ARE much more ergonomic rifles out there... And you'll see them much quicker... Because, they are that much more difficult to keep from view when not in use.

While some will champion the idea of a 9mm (or other caliber) AR pistol... And they DO have their appeal... I'm certainly NOT knocking anyones choice... But, they are STILL a pistol and as such, they are much more heavily regulated. If I'm going to carry a pistol around... It may as well be a pistol that can be carried in a holster on my side. Not one that is as big or bigger than the folded up and stowed away Sub2K.

Nothing I disagree with here. As a owner of a 9mm Ar, CZ Evo Carbine, 2 Keltec Sub2ks and a few other guns of similar role..........agreed. Broadly:

- Disappointed in my 9mm AR all LoneWolf. Very finicky on ammo, OAL sensitive.
    - EVO is my favorite shooter, comfortable, instinctive
    - Keltec takes it for compactness in stowed configuration.
    - JRC probably has the best balance, assembled it works well, disassembled it stows compactly.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    In the AR's scenario in Maryland, it's actually the opposite. A rifle form AR (in 5.56) must have a heavy barrel; AR pistols aren't subject to this rule. An SBR isn't subject to it either but must maintain 29" OAL because of the copycat issues. AR pistol's are not subject to this rule either.

You missed the point...

Pistols (including the AR PISTOL) may not be open carried in Maryland...

Getting caught carrying one without a CCW Permit WILL get you locked away. And you won't be seeing your AR pistol for a long long time.

However, open carry of rifles is a much different tale. Since it was argued in Federal Court, by the STATE OF MARYLAND, that we "...don't need to carry pistols because open carry of long guns is legal"... And therefore our 2A rights were not being infringed by Maryland in the demand for G&S to get a CCW Permit.

troyirving

Aug 1, 2016
    Hagerstown-ish
    You missed the point...

Pistols (including the AR PISTOL) may not be open carried in Maryland...

Getting caught carrying one without a CCW Permit WILL get you locked away. And you won't be seeing your AR pistol for a long long time.

However, open carry of rifles is a much different tale. Since it was argued in Federal Court, by the STATE OF MARYLAND, that we "...don't need to carry pistols because open carry of long guns is legal"... And therefore our 2A rights were not being infringed by Maryland in the demand for G&S to get a CCW Permit.

You never made any point at all about openly carrying anything, nor do I see how it is relevant.

Here in reality, you won't be carrying either around in this state, so it's not like it matters in that sense.

I would love to see someone try to openly carry a rifle in Maryland. Even if it's technically legal, good luck carrying one around without having issues.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    You never made any point at all about openly carrying anything, nor do I see how it is relevant.

Here in reality, you won't be carrying either around in this state, so it's not like it matters in that sense.

I would love to see someone try to openly carry a rifle in Maryland. Even if it's technically legal, good luck carrying one around without having issues.

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom