Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 20th, 2018, 09:47 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Cut back on a couple of lattes or beers and spend the money on the bullets.
I brew my own coffee and don't drink alcohol anymore. And I still would rather be able to train with my defensive ammo more often than have something that might or might not work slightly better.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:41 AM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Doug14 View Post
I'll load that 158 as my bear defense round in WV.
Even though you have black bears in WV, I would still use this load.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...heck-box-of-50

I would also carry them in a double action revolver. While single actions are cheaper and are excellent for hunting, for personal defense a double action is needed.

When you run into a bear and cubs or a bear eating, you will have only a few seconds to kill it if it charges. Try shooting a single action six times as fast as you can at a target about 20 yards away and see how long it takes. Then think about the target moving.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:48 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi_surveillance_van View Post
I brew my own coffee and don't drink alcohol anymore. And I still would rather be able to train with my defensive ammo more often than have something that might or might not work slightly better.
If you have a Chrony, you can pick up different cheap ammo and see what runs like the ammo you. You are not interested in how it performs, just that it hits to the same POI and has the same amount of recoil.

Winchester has come up with training ammo that replicates its defensive ammo. I make my own reloads so I can tailor my reloads to give me the same feel as those I carry.

At my club, I used to offer my chrony services to members so they could see exactly what they are getting out of their guns. Now that I am retired, I think I may start that back up again.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 08:28 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi_surveillance_van View Post
As long as Federal HST can be had for around 39 or 40 cents a round in 9mm 147 gr SP or 124gr +P, I'm pretty happy with those. I'm sure there are more optimal cartridges on the market, but I don't like spending a buck a round on 9mm.
There's really not much out there that does better in 9mm. You don't need +P either. It really doesn't make much of a difference in 9mm. Off the shelf HS, Gold Dots, or (my preference) Winchester SXT in in 124 or 147 grain weights would be my choice. Not all but most of these newfangled bullet designs for a hundred year old cartridge are just marketing garbage. It's unreal the shit many in the firearms industry will say to find a way to sell stuff in an overcrowded market sometimes.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns