• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Does anyone know if this law would cover you in the Virgin Islands, Guam, and PR?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What a huge surprise. Not casting aspersions, but don't get gun law info from gun store counter guys or cops.

When it comes to transporting guns it's why I carry guns locked in one case, and ammo in another locked case nowhere within reach, and not in magazines as well. People want to argue their right to carry loaded mags in the same locked case as the gun. Well when you are stopped by a cop, you are not arguing in front of SCOTUS, and they can make any legal mistake they wish and cuff you. Do the absolute best to keep their mind away from what they consider ambiguous.

Depends on how the other states deal with restrictions.

A state by state thing, since as of now there is no agreement on how other states deal with home state restrictions.

And very few states issue restrictions,. including DC, which can by law issue them.

I'd be surprised if every out of state cop would flip to read Maryland's obverse side. I'd never offer my MD permit in a state that honors a non-residential permit of a state I carry.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• 921-a.jpg
      921-a.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 336
    • 921-2.jpg
      921-2.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 407

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    If we're making comparisons to a driver's license, are driving restrictions in force no matter where you are driving. As an example, if you have a MD Driver's License, and you have a restriction of no driving after dark until dawn, wouldn't those restrictions be enforceable in other states too? If your MD Driver's License has an eyeglass restrictions, doesn't that restriction follow you in all other states too?

I'm just saying......

Yes, but states without the nighttime rules aren't going to care. The rules are only enforced by your home state.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    NLETS is an interconnection system between states that allows LE to get info from other states, like CCW and DL permit info.

NLETS stands for National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.

started out as teletypes, now computers.,

When I was at DHS, we used NLETS on our vetting process.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Sorry as well for asking this, but 230 pages is quite a read... I see that NH is recommended for a permit state, so we can carry here. Question is, do I take it online or is it classroom only? One time fee for the permit?

Thanks.

Again, I do know that this is ONLY if it passes the way it is now.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Sorry as well for asking this, but 230 pages is quite a read... I see that NH is recommended for a permit state, so we can carry here. Question is, do I take it online or is it classroom only? One time fee for the permit?

Thanks.

You only need to complete the application, mail it along with your fee and wait about 6 weeks.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    Does anyone know if this law would cover you in the Virgin Islands, Guam, and PR?

Remember, though, any act created by the congress of the Union of American States only has power where the congress has been delegated the authority to execrise its enumerated powers.

And secondly, which most people forget, the congress of the union can define legal terms in any fashion they deem fit. In the case of the GCA of 1968 the legal term "State" means and only means the DC, posessions and territories.. The congress has never given the authority to make statutes that usurp the soverign powers of the fifty States of the Union. It's been that way since Constitution went into effect.

attachment.php

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Thanks.

Not sure of your point. NH permit will not give you MD privileges. Folks in MD get NH permits so they can carry in PA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Remember, though, any act created by the congress of the Union of American States only has power where the congress has been delegated the authority to execrise its enumerated powers.

And secondly, which most people forget, the congress of the union can define legal terms in any fashion they deem fit. In the case of the GCA of 1968 the legal term "State" means and only means the DC, posessions and territories.. The congress has never given the authority to make statutes that usurp the soverign powers of the fifty States of the Union. It's been that way since Constitution went into effect.

attachment.php

So does this bill cover the aforementioned "states" or not? Both bills use the commerce clause as a foundation for authority

Sure seems that the definitions in Title 18 apply

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not sure of your point. NH permit will not give you MD privileges. Folks in MD get NH permits so they can carry in PA.

Pretty sure his point is to apply for a non resident permit now in an effort to circumvent any mad rush that might occur as a result of the reciprocity legislation being passed and signed into law. Don't believe he is planning to use that NH permit to carry in MD until such a time.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pretty sure his point is to apply for a non resident permit now in an effort to circumvent any mad rush that might occur as a result of the reciprocity legislation being passed and signed into law. Don't believe he is planning to use that NH permit to carry in MD until such a time.

Doubtful there will be any mad rush.

Most states are already shall issue. Only a handful of states aren't.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    So does this bill cover the aforementioned "states" or not? Both bills use the commerce clause as a foundation for authority

Any time you read "State" in the original statute or in the codification of the statute and its amendments or even proposed amendments it means only what it means in 921A2. The word "includes" can not mean anything but the idea of inclusiveness. Everything else is excluded in the statute because to (stay with me on this) it would be and unconstitutional usurption of power of the congress over the legislatures of the fifty States. Remember the States created the current national (pronounced nay-tion-al) government and delegated to it certain powers in a certain jurisdiction.

National reciprocity will always be between the District of Columbia, Porto Rico, and the possessions. Interstate commerce regarding this statute will always be between the District of Columbia, Porto Rico, and the possessions.

Go ahead. check the bill. What does it say. Some thing like this I bet.

a) In general.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

Ҥ 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms blah blah blah.

So if they are amending the statute and paragraph 921A says

§921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter—

then the amendment takes on ALL definitions of the main statute.

And just to add one more thing. the GCA is created and constitutional under Article 4 section 3 clause 2.

2. The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

The result is at the end of the day to completely in compliance with the Constitution there can be no national reciprocity as people hope for in the fashion they seek. Reciprocity can only lie in a compact like drivers licenses.

Added.

And the definitions roll on to any forms created under the Statute. Think 4473. So the medical marijuana folks are okey dokey as long as they are not in where? The District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone). But trying pushing the glacier uphill with the corrupt Courts.

Speaking of definitions... Ttile 26 is a fantastic journey and truth is found the definitions.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States

Didn't Jimmy Carter give away the canal zone? Long ago..

He did. The original act was in 1938 and reacted in 1968. The Canal Zone was given away in the late 1970s. Congress has not seen fit to remove that from the statute since it would make no difference.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Do they? If you look at the "Constitutional Authority Statement" for HR 38, it states the 2A. The Senate version does not list such a statement. I'm curious if it's challenged in court if the Commerce Clause, Full Faith,exc. can then be used as backing or if it's boxed into the 2A only.

Also, the Commerce Clause seems to state commerce "does not include commerce between two places within the same state"; which seems to cut against HR 38's version of the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom