• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've built an AR10 upper receiver using a Fulton Armory handguard that uses a barrel nut and clamp-on aluminum float tube. It seems like a pretty solid installation but I got to wondering how durable this type of float tube is with respect to sling tension. Compared to the type of float tube where the barrel nut screws on to the receiver and the float tube screws on to the barrel nut can the clamp on variety where the float tube clamps on to the barrel nut ever be pulled off or askew with sling tension.

This is the particular float tube I used:

Handguard Float Tube, .308 AR, 15" Guardian
    Price: $149.95
    Part #: FA-TU-067
    Ultralight free floating tube incorporating 3 tracks that allow adjustment of detachable picatinny rail sections. The optional 4 or 9 slot Picatinny rails are secured to the tracks via steel backplates for a rock solid fit. A large steel barrel nut secures the tube to the upper and the tube body clamps to the nut with 2 steel screws and a steel backplate preventing shifting or a change of zero.

Weight: 1 lb 3.6 oz
    Length: 15.375"
    Inside diameter: 1.4"
    Outside Diameter: 1.925"
    Material: CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminum, Hard Coat Anondized, with all steel fasteners and hardware

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've built an AR10 upper receiver using a Fulton Armory handguard that uses a barrel nut and clamp-on aluminum float tube. It seems like a pretty solid installation but I got to wondering how durable this type of float tube is with respect to sling tension. Compared to the type of float tube where the barrel nut screws on to the receiver and the float tube screws on to the barrel nut can the clamp on variety where the float tube clamps on to the barrel nut ever be pulled off or askew with sling tension.

This is the particular float tube I used:

Handguard Float Tube, .308 AR, 15" Guardian
    Price: $149.95
    Part #: FA-TU-067
    Ultralight free floating tube incorporating 3 tracks that allow adjustment of detachable picatinny rail sections. The optional 4 or 9 slot Picatinny rails are secured to the tracks via steel backplates for a rock solid fit. A large steel barrel nut secures the tube to the upper and the tube body clamps to the nut with 2 steel screws and a steel backplate preventing shifting or a change of zero.

Weight: 1 lb 3.6 oz
    Length: 15.375"
    Inside diameter: 1.4"
    Outside Diameter: 1.925"
    Material: CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminum, Hard Coat Anondized, with all steel fasteners and hardware

Sure it could...but you are also taking a huge amount of clamping load on the handguard. If you whacked it with a hammer pretty hard you could probably cant the rail, but even non-casual bumps and bangs isn’t likely to do that.

Also the description is lies. 20oz is not a lightweight handguard, that’s a porker!

By comparison my 12” handguard for my Aero M5 is about 13oz and I am unhappy with it. My latest one for my 24” grendel build is 9.6oz (though I used its aluminum nut for a different handguard, but even with the steel nut it is only 12oz) and my 12” setup on my 18” grendel deer rifle is 7.5oz. That’s light weight.

My only real issue with clamp on style is it’s more material, which means more weight and in taking off the handguard it’s harder to achieve zero again when putting it back on if you’ve got a front sight on the handguard.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Most of the clamp ons usually have indexing tabs so op rail aligns with the upper receiver rail. Without, it is possible with enough force

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sure it could...but you are also taking a huge amount of clamping load on the handguard. If you whacked it with a hammer pretty hard you could probably cant the rail, but even non-casual bumps and bangs isn’t likely to do that.

Also the description is lies. 20oz is not a lightweight handguard, that’s a porker!

By comparison my 12” handguard for my Aero M5 is about 13oz and I am unhappy with it. My latest one for my 24” grendel build is 9.6oz (though I used its aluminum nut for a different handguard, but even with the steel nut it is only 12oz) and my 12” setup on my 18” grendel deer rifle is 7.5oz. That’s light weight.

My only real issue with clamp on style is it’s more material, which means more weight and in taking off the handguard it’s harder to achieve zero again when putting it back on if you’ve got a front sight on the handguard.

With one clamp on I had I just used a long riser rail to bridge between the upper and the handguard rail.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    All of this makes me want to chuckle - it sounds like a solution in search of a problem and much ado about nothing. Are any of these AR builds going to see any combat or rough action to the point where it would ever become an issue? Do these ARs get slung across the shoulder and packed on long hikes over miles and miles of rough terrain to the point where weight would be an issue, or do these guns generally find themselves going from the safe, to the case, to the range, and then back again?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    All of this makes me want to chuckle - it sounds like a solution in search of a problem and much ado about nothing. Are any of these AR builds going to see any combat or rough action to the point where it would ever become an issue? Do these ARs get slung across the shoulder and packed on long hikes over miles and miles of rough terrain to the point where weight would be an issue, or do these guns generally find themselves going from the safe, to the case, to the range, and then back again?

I've knocked mine over a couple times. It happens. I also like gas block mounted sights versus hand guard mounted ones.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've knocked mine over a couple times. It happens. I also like gas block mounted sights versus hand guard mounted ones.
    Really? Like, how often are you knocking your rifles over? What situation allows for that? I'm not saying it couldn't even happen, but so far, it's never happened to me.

Also, is there enough force being put on the hand guards when this occurs that it could potentially damage a rifle that at its inception was designed for battle?

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City

Lol, this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom