• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked this up this past weekend much to the chagrin of my bank account. I've been looking for one of these for years, so when a nice one popped up, I pounced on it.

The M1879 and M1883 Reichsrevolvers were standard in the German military from 1879 to 1908 when the Luger was adopted. The M1883 differs from the M1879 in that it has a shorter barrel.

This particular one was made in 1896 in Erfurt. The original finish is in excellent shape, and it seems to work great. I'll probably end up loading some ammo for it, or just using some .44 Russian cowboy loads. The German 10.6x25mm round and .44 Russian are almost identical.

This one has a unit marking on it " 9. A. F. 12 H. 8.". I'm not sure what the exact unit is. It was suggested to me that it was an artillery foot unit.

The real kicker is that it came with an original holster made in 1913 with 13 original cartridges in the ammo pouch! The holster has some writing in it, and on the outside which I'm trying to decipher.

Let me know what you think! I paid $800 for it, which I think was a pretty good deal for the rig.

Attachments

• WMh6LAz.jpg
      WMh6LAz.jpg
      150.2 KB · Views: 497
    • JLmTQxp.jpg
      JLmTQxp.jpg
      153.9 KB · Views: 494
    • BfUSjYZ.jpg
      BfUSjYZ.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 443
    • fLHt6z3.jpg
      fLHt6z3.jpg
      148.7 KB · Views: 467
    • rCXDjos.jpg
      rCXDjos.jpg
      136.4 KB · Views: 443
    • pf7aJEJ.jpg
      pf7aJEJ.jpg
      146.2 KB · Views: 455
    • KUoWgaN.jpg
      KUoWgaN.jpg
      104.3 KB · Views: 454
    • ZmnF7E0.jpg
      ZmnF7E0.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 445
    • 8nO7jsD.jpg
      8nO7jsD.jpg
      134.1 KB · Views: 436
    • 1gHOPij.jpg
      1gHOPij.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 457

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    This one has a unit marking on it " 9. A. F. 12 H. 8.". I'm not sure what the exact unit is. It was suggested to me that it was an artillery foot unit.

Jeff Noll's book on regimental markings indicates it's something like (my reading only)

"9th Foot Artillery Regiment, 12th Munitions Column, weapon 8".

That's a good price, especially with the holster. [envy]

Bryan

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You did great again! I'd like to think I could take credit for being a role model... :lol2:
    There's a cult-like following for the Reichsrevolver. I've seen much worse examples sell for way more than what you paid and with no holster (gotta be rare, I don't run across these often) and esp no ammo. The condition on yours is outstanding and the holster is a peach too. I don't closely follow the market for these but I've been seeing French 1892 revolver rigs in the same condition sell for the same $800 price and they're waaaay more common than a Reichsrevolver rig (with ammo!). Gotta be worth nearly twice what you paid for it. Score!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    You did great again! I'd like to think I could take credit for being a role model... :lol2:

I don't closely follow the market for these but I've been seeing French 1892 revolver rigs in the same condition sell for the same $800 price and they're waaaay more common than a Reichsrevolver rig (with ammo!). Gotta be worth nearly twice what you paid for it. Score!

I’ll let you take credit for that ;) I have been surprised on the rise in price on the Mle.1892’s. I’m glad I picked up my rig for $375 a few years ago. I wouldn’t mind having another though

Chrisftk

Aug 26, 2012
    I like it! Reichsrevolvers are underappreciated in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom