• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 7, 2016
    So the gun shop on Ft Mead says I need a barrel lock/integrated mechanical safety lock in order to leave the store with my pistol. My cable lock is not good enough.

After carefully reading the Maryland Code, Public Safety § 5-132 Hand gun safety device,
    (B)(1)(ii)it says military members are exempt from needing a “safety device” when receiving/picking up after 7-day wait of a purchases regulated firearm.

Anyone care to chime in?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So the gun shop on Ft Mead says I need a barrel lock/integrated mechanical safety lock in order to leave the store with my pistol. My cable lock is not good enough.

After carefully reading the Maryland Code, Public Safety § 5-132 Hand gun safety device,

(B)(1)(ii)it says military members are exempt from needing a “safety device” when receiving/picking up after 7-day wait of a purchases regulated firearm.

Anyone care to chime in?
    Reads to me like that statute applies to the dealer.

b) This section does not apply to:

(1) the purchase, sale, or transportation of a handgun to or by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer that provides or services a handgun for:

(i) personnel of any unit of the federal government;

(ii) members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard;

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My stab is that the on base gun store is taking the conservative interpretation that your private purchase is more akin to a " normal " FFL transaction , rather than a weapon for the purposes of Military Duties .

Yeah , I can read the statute, and make an argument at least as strong for the opposite interpretation , but that's my crystal ball mindreading of Why the PX does so .

Jan 7, 2016
    Looks like I’m only required a external lock according to my 77r

Attachments

• 61B51EB3-D613-4887-9582-6798B43659E6.jpg
      61B51EB3-D613-4887-9582-6798B43659E6.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 1,232

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Giving the military access to functional firearms on a military installation, that's just crazy!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Only six years to go then I’ll be in free America where my CCW serves as an instant background and I walk out with the gun the day I buy it.

On second thought, instead of retiring, I may need to get a second job....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Only six years to go then I’ll be in free America where my CCW serves as an instant background and I walk out with the gun the day I buy it.

On second thought, instead of retiring, I may need to get a second job....

Yeah, I think you are going to need a second job.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My stab is that the on base gun store is taking the conservative interpretation that your private purchase is more akin to a " normal " FFL transaction , rather than a weapon for the purposes of Military Duties .

Yeah , I can read the statute, and make an argument at least as strong for the opposite interpretation , but that's my crystal ball mindreading of Why the PX does so .
    I agree it reads like mud but this is Maryland so he's going to need a useless bore lock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Per the image in pos #4--Another example of the success of public education in Maryland: An official, electronically "printed" form with a spelling error.

Last edited:

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Good luck getting a brick and mortar FFL to read the regs. For them, it's better safe than sorry. In their defense, it is MD after all. It wasn't that long ago that the MD State Police licensing division was threating them with losing their license for LEGALLY releasing after the 7th day.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Good luck getting a brick and mortar FFL to read the regs. For them, it's better safe than sorry. In their defense, it is MD after all. It wasn't that long ago that the MD State Police licensing division was threating them with losing their license for LEGALLY releasing after the 7th day.

Can MD SP revoke an FFL license? Being that it's a federal license and has nothing to do with state.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Per the image in pos #4--Another example of the success of public education in Maryland: An official, electronically "printed" form with a spelling error.

Third time's the charm. Even computers can learn.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    MSP can revoke their Md Reg Weapons Dealers Lic . Few freestanding gun stores can economically survive selling only rifles and shotguns .

Added - The only reason MSP backed down about 7 Day release in 2013 is because MSI sued them .

Give generously to the MSI Legal Fund .

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

Anyone care to chime in?

You could just ask to borrow one here:
    MD Handgun Lock Exchange
    Every handgun I have purchased in MD (while on Active Duty), has required the same lock.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017

Anyone care to chime in?
    Though that is not the interpretation used at Andrews AFB. Remember the installation commander can enforce other rules or restrictions. At Andrews, I had to sign an affidavit stating that I would leave the installation directly upon completion of the purchase.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom