• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I have tried half hams on several occasions. I just can't get them to turn out the way I like. I believe its due to the cook time, but I'm not sure.

It should be a good learning experience for you and provide some good eats for the next week or two.

One piece of advice. Keep the ham covered in cheesecloth and aluminum foil after cooling and while in the fridge. The long cook time and no covering will cause them to dry out quickly. Also, they will keep longer if left whole. Only cut as much as you are going to use in that serving.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My family has been making Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham this way for 6 generations. You may know some of the St. Mary's family names, such as Sterling and Bell. The bone is removed without cutting the ham in half. That's why it needs to be chiseled out. The cavity is then stuffed and the ham tied tight. Then slits are cut to insert more stuffing.

I'm sure there are several ways different families prefer to prepare SoMD Stuffed Ham. We've never had a complaint, and always get asked to bring this dish to holiday parties.

Mdeng

I won't argue with that. I have honestly never heard of anyone taking the bone out though, that was a new one for me to hear. I come from the Hall, Quade, Unkle, Owens, sides of St. Mary's, don't shoot me for it, I was born into it. I only claim a very select few of them though.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    We've always taken the bone out. We can put more stuffing in that way. This is a 4 generation old recipe and we've never changed it.
    We stuff the ham, then tie it up. Ham is placed in a cheap, thin pillow case and more stuffing is put on top and around. Tie a knot in the pillow case and then boil it for a few hours.

Are you guys that can't get it to come out boiling the ham or baking it? If you're baking it, that is the reason it comes out wrong.

FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    Have you had it from schafers?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    We've always taken the bone out. We can put more stuffing in that way. This is a 4 generation old recipe and we've never changed it.
    We stuff the ham, then tie it up. Ham is placed in a cheap, thin pillow case and more stuffing is put on top and around. Tie a knot in the pillow case and then boil it for a few hours.

Are you guys that can't get it to come out boiling the ham or baking it? If you're baking it, that is the reason it comes out wrong.

Always boil. We've never tried to take it out.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    Leave the bone in. After you eat most of the ham, use the bone and remaining meat and stuffing around the bone in a pot of navy beans (or beans of your choice), yum.

Sideways

Jan 24, 2010
    Eastern shore of Va.
    Making this stuffed ham is definitely a labor of love!

It came out pretty well for a first timer and will be doing it again with a few adjustments, first off have to make sure the slits are deep enough and stuffed, then stuff some more.
    I also need to adjust the stuffing as I added some crushed red pepper but not enough for my taste buds.

Thanks to everyone that responded!
    Enjoy your holidays!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My family just put in our order for 14 hams. We always hold a family stuffed ham party the weekend before Thanksgiving. The whole family gets together to share the work and stuff all the hams.

CFCE

Nov 23, 2012
    St. Mary's Co.
    Watched my father-in-law stuff them. He was born and bred St. Marys county. Was related to the Evans in some way from St. Georges Island. Its alot of work...making the stuffing, boiling the hams, cooling. Lost him several years ago,....so I just buy it from Chaptico Market on Rt 234. Raley's in Ridge had good stuffed ham also, they may not even be open anymore though.

Raley's is owned by Orientals now. They make a stuffed ham egg roll. I haven't had one, but people who have tell me they are good.

Azmo

Sep 7, 2011
    Calvert County
    Curious if the premade one at Nick's is any good? Everytime I pass by them I consider grabbing one... Been in Calvert since 2002 and have never even had it...

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm a northern MD guy (as in almost PA) but I just read through this thread and now I want to give it a go. Anybody feel like posting up their recipe/process for us damn yanks?

FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    My parents get from Nicks and im not a big fan of it. Where do you guys get yours?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    OH NO I guess it's getting close to that time to get my Hams lined up. I've been making stuffed hams for Christmas gifts for many years and make about 10-12 each year. The additional 5-6 I get paid to make for other as their Christmas gift to someone else.

Both sides of my family are from St. Mary's County and Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham is a religious phrase here. There's people who can "stuff a Ham" and then there's the people who know what goes in to a Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham.

I have had "Stuffed Hams" that were made by city folk and that's the worst outside of them store bought hams that have been stuffed. They are scared of doing it the right way and they usually don't add in the "secret stuff" on their recipe cards.

Good luck making your first Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham. It won't taste right the first time. That's a not a smartass or sarcastic comment, trust me, you'll understand when your Ham is ready to taste test. You'll get it right close somewhere about your 5th or 6th attempt. Recipe cards don't tell you how to make a Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham. That you have to learn on your own.

And by the way, please make sure you put something in the bottom of your boiling pot to keep the cheesecloth or pillow case, and it should be done, off of the bottom of the pot. Nothing ruins a Ham faster than burnt cloth and burnt Ham that's been sizzling in the bottom of the pot. You can use a small metal bowl, but, I use the top section of chick feeder from a mason jar jar chick feeder. Anything to keep the Ham and cloth off the bottom will work. A couple of clean Tuna Fish cans work great too.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    MCKay's is good, but the best stuffed ham in Southern Maryland is Murphy's Town and Country store.

It's a little out of the way, hole in the wall, type of place.....but the ham is out of this world.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Wife orders corned hams from McKay's in Charlotte Hall. She has two recipes she uses (from the St. Maries County Cookbook). One calls for baking, the other boiling. Let me know if you want me to post.

The baked version has much stronger flavor, but is rarely used these days since kitchens were moved from "cook houses" into the living areas of homes. It will stink up the entire house for days. My extended family prefers the spicier variety, so I enjoy the ham, but have to deal with the strong odor in the house.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Extra spicy and boiled is how we do ours. We only do a couple every other year just to satisfy 2 families over the holidays.
    I remember ordering some at the old belvedere restaurant across from pax when I first got here and i asked them to take it back because it was cold! Haha now I'm just a local smib drinking 10oz budweisers.
    I've had stuffed ham soup around these parts as well and that is some goooood stuff!!!

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    And here I thought Stuffed Ham was a St.Mary's specialty. Met a girl from Waldorf years ago had never heard of it...and now reading the past comments in this thread The Eastern Shore??? Oh well. I'll second the Chaptico Market (you have to do the search to find out where they're at) but I got my original hand written recipe from Mrs. Woodburn in Ridge about 40 years ago and still use that when I'm in the mood to do all the work for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom