How much does your home defense AR weigh?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You know I have always resisted an AR pistol as being something that is weird looking for a non-existent purpose. But I am now convinced it might be a substitute for an SBR for HD after all. Most of the advantages with none of the cost. I have a 10.5" barrel waiting for a purpose that was going towards an SBR, YHM flash hider suppressor compatible. So I guess I need a dedicated pistol registered lower and a brace for the buffer tube, huh. Or is there a less costly way to do it. in WV of course.

The SBA3 is the most comfortable I've found, uses a standard M4 buffer tube, and has about as much surface area on the rear as they could get away with. No stamp, no wait, no permission needed to cross state lines, and at least here it can be kept loaded in the car for those with a carry permit, as it is a "pistol" and not a rifle / SBR. The LOP is limited to about 12.5"fully extended, but is about perfect for a short barrel.

This is my HD PCP, 9" 300B , Aero M4E1 receivers and 9" gen2 M-lok rail, SBPDW brace, G2S trigger, ambi and extended controls comes in just under 6#, but add the Aimpoint PRO, sling, light/mount and mag of ammo, and it's about 8.5, but the heavy brace and short, light barrel make it balance well, and move fast.
    20190102_211048.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine is 6lbs 10oz empty (maybe 6lb8oz?). 16” HBAR. Looking to swap the barrel with a flutted HBAR and go witha titanium A2 flash hider. It shaves 4-5oz, but also the barrel I have on there is dirt cheap (paid $40 or $50 for it) and it shoots 2.5MOA with nice ammo and cheap ammo alike. I don’t need a 1MOA gun since I run a 3MOA red dot on it...but when I slap a 3x magnifier on there, it would be nice to shoot a little better...like 1.5MOA with nice ammo.

If I wanted to shave more weight I’d swap the current lower for a GWACS lower to shed another 3-4oz. Maybe some year (I’ve got a spare, but it’s complicated. My 6.5 Grendel deer hunting rig uses a GWACS lower).

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    I'm going for ultra light. I already have an SBR and I plan on skeletnozing it and possibly going for a carbon fiber barrel. Those poor souls with their hbars are always complaining about how heavily the darn thing is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm going for ultra light. I already have an SBR and I plan on skeletnozing it and possibly going for a carbon fiber barrel. Those poor souls with their hbars are always complaining about how heavily the darn thing is.

My 20” is kind of portly at 9lbs without mag. But my 16” and my 18 6.5G aren’t bad at all. They are a bit front heavy. More so my 16”. Probably because my 6.5 Grendel at 18” is also fluted, removing some of the weight and of course larger bore diameter removing a bit more weight. Plus it has a scope, rather than a red dot. So that weight being further back helps balance it.

That’s the biggest reason I am looking at a fluted HBAR on my 16” and a titanium A2. Shedding 4 or 5ozs towards the front half should help the balance a lot. Also why I don’t know that I’ll swap the lower to my Sabre poly lower. I already have a very light buttstock on there, but 3 or 4oz remover towards the rear of the rifle I think is going to mess with balance a lot.

Though I’ll see once I change out the barrel (some month or year). Try swapping that upper on to my built Sabre lower and see how the balance and weight is. It might be worth building my other Sabre lower, but balance is more important than weight.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    OP: for weight savings and manuverability, have you considered an AR pistol?

I got a 300 BLK SBR in 9.5 inch for that. For 5.56 I won't ever go below 16 inches. Not happy giving up any performance on that zippy round

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    I got a 300 BLK SBR in 9.5 inch for that. For 5.56 I won't ever go below 16 inches. Not happy giving up any performance on that zippy round

What performance issues are you giving up in an AR pistol for home defense? Not many homes have LOS of more than 40-60 feet! A 7” barrel and no blade is maneuverable and plenty of whoop.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    What performance issues are you giving up in an AR pistol for home defense? Not many homes have LOS of more than 40-60 feet! A 7” barrel and no blade is maneuverable and plenty of whoop.

Nah dude it's a flamethrower, snappy recoil, loud as hell. And honestly, I like having any rifle I have, have the ability to reach out to 300 if need be. 300 BO can be pressed into both roles, suppressed/unsuppressed.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    my new purchase two days ago

just purchased this 300 pistol from Sterling Arsenal. Did the transfer today at United Gun Shop- Thanks to them for great service, as usual...They weighed it empty at 5.4lbs.

Purchased an Omega 300 suppressor from Gymratz- who made it so easy so his kudos on this forum are true. I will bring it to my build class on 2/10 but will be completing my Witt Machine integral suppressed AR.

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
      IMG_3175.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 242

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My 50 Beowulf SBR only weighs about 6 lbs. This should be enough firepower. But seriously, how many people actually would go for their AR15 rifle/pistol as their first choice for HD? A handgun in your favorite caliber or a nice shotgun would be my first choice. As a matter of fact, the wife and I have a survival plan in the event of home invasion. I take the handgun secure, the second floor where we sleep. She stays in the bedroom with the shotgun and we stay like that until the police arrive. If we have to go into action, I take first action. If something happens to me, she knows that anyone coming in the doorway, will be going right back out that same doorway with a big hole in their chest.

I just don't every see the need for a rifle to defend my house. YMMV and I hope and pray that none of us have to utilize whatever defensive plans we have.

Last edited:

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    But seriously, how many people actually would go for their AR15 rifle/pistol as their first choice for HD?

I just don't every see the need for a rifle to defend my house. YMMV and I hope and pray that none of us have to utilize whatever defensive plans we have.

I don't have a shotgun right now, so if I have the ability to, I would. 18-25 shots per mag depending on how they're loaded, vs 11+1 for my USPC 40. Less effect from recoil. From tests I've seen on gelatin, vs personal experiences critter hunting, HST pistol rounds are great, but 55 gr Vmax blows up on a rabbit, so no worries of overpen. And certainly personal preference, but I'm much better with a rifle as well.

Definitely agree with your last comment though.

To the op; probably around 10.5, maybe 11. Its a mutt AR15A4, and those are around 8.5 with a mag. I've got a rail, light, and optic.

Working on a .300 16" for this role though, which should be better balanced and wont tear my eardrums out with Silverback Home Defense subs

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My 50 Beowulf SBR only weighs about 6 lbs. This should be enough firepower. But seriously, how many people actually would go for their AR15 rifle/pistol as their first choice for HD? A handgun in your favorite caliber or a nice shotgun would be my first choice. As a matter of fact, the wife and I have a survival plan in the event of home invasion. I take the handgun secure, the second floor where we sleep. She stays in the bedroom with the shotgun and we stay like that until the police arrive. If we have to go into action, I take first action. If something happens to me, she knows that anyone coming in the doorway, will be going right back out that same doorway with a big hole in their chest.

A 5.56 AR is exactly what I would go for first instead of a pistol. My primary HD gun is a 10.5" suppressed SBR with federal trophy bonded bear claw ammo. 2 point sling, wml, and red dot. Guessing it weighs about 7-8lbs loaded but haven't weighed it. I may or may not have other HD rifles secured in various other locations around the house because I don't get to pick where I am if someone decides to invade my home.

Reasons: rifles are easier to use effectively under stress than pistols for several reasons. Pistol and shotgun rounds are more likely to over penetrate than 5.56. I have a sling so I can drop the gun and not lose it. I have tons of experience clearing buildings with an M4/AR and none with pistols, though the primary HD plan is to hole up and protect family instead of clearing.

That is me, everyone will be different. Most important thing is to have a realistic plan and use the tools you are most comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom