• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Whereas that's some of the dumbest stuff I ever read.
    Refrigerating deer carcasses prior to disposal? Lyme disease and ag damage?
    Are they on drugs? Did I read that correctly?
    If that's a win being able to hunt on your own property till 10:30 am on their terms to reduce auto claims that's ridiculous.

Probably the same thing the antis said about the reasoning for FSA2013 and it not going far enough.

What if you are hunting on somebody else's property, public land, etc.? There is some public land available for hunting in Howard County.

Not only that, but how about trying to shoot a firearm at some clay pigeons on your own land, any day of the weekend. ILLEGAL as can be, but if they want to come up with whatever reason they want to allow me to do so, I'll take whatever reasoning they want to come up with.

Now, if you have some better reasons why Sunday hunting should be extended beyond 10:30 am in Howard County, Maryland, the hearing is tomorrow and you have 3 minutes to set forth those reasons and possibly convince them that hunting all day on Sunday will not interfere with other citizens enjoying their own land, walking their dogs on their own land without fear of being shot (e.g., woman in New York), that deer are most active at dusk and dawn so allowing hunting toward sunset would greatly increase the number of deer taken, etc.

I am starting to come around from this cold I have been dealing with, so I might just make the hearing tomorrow night. Hope to see some of you there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Probably the same thing the antis said about the reasoning for FSA2013 and it not going far enough.

What if you are hunting on somebody else's property, public land, etc.? There is some public land available for hunting in Howard County.

Not only that, but how about trying to shoot a firearm at some clay pigeons on your own land, any day of the weekend. ILLEGAL as can be, but if they want to come up with whatever reason they want to allow me to do so, I'll take whatever reasoning they want to come up with.

Now, if you have some better reasons why Sunday hunting should be extended beyond 10:30 am in Howard County, Maryland, the hearing is tomorrow and you have 3 minutes to set forth those reasons and possibly convince them that hunting all day on Sunday will not interfere with other citizens enjoying their own land, walking their dogs on their own land without fear of being shot (e.g., woman in New York), that deer are most active at dusk and dawn so allowing hunting toward sunset would greatly increase the number of deer taken, etc.

I am starting to come around from this cold I have been dealing with, so I might just make the hearing tomorrow night. Hope to see some of you there.

Why didn't they come up with this about ten years or longer ago? Deer vs car wasn't a problem in the past?
    Now it is?
    Now you have three minutes to state a case.
    Now we want to allow hunting on Sunday and that's going to clear the deer problem up and we need the landowners help. But you gotta get it done by 10:30. What if the paper boy gets hit by a ricochet delivering the grit by some crazed bowhunter from the Bronx.
    There was never any established time frame when you could hunt with the exception of Sunday in the past.
    I guess I should be more sympathetic but that's why I do not live in Howard county. Seen that coming pre 29 and 100, 32

Do they actually refrigerate the deer carcasses? They're not serious right?
    A bunch of people better rush in and reestablish some order around there.
    Godspeed hoping for success.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why didn't they come up with this about ten years or longer ago? Deer vs car wasn't a problem in the past?
    Now it is?
    Now you have three minutes to state a case.
    Now we want to allow hunting on Sunday and that's going to clear the deer problem up and we need the landowners help. But you gotta get it done by 10:30. What if the paper boy gets hit by a ricochet delivering the grit by some crazed bowhunter from the Bronx.
    There was never any established time frame when you could hunt with the exception of Sunday in the past.
    I guess I should be more sympathetic but that's why I do not live in Howard county. Seen that coming pre 29 and 100, 32

Do they actually refrigerate the deer carcasses? They're not serious right?
    A bunch of people better rush in and reestablish some order around there.
    Godspeed hoping for success.

I've been riding my bike and hunting in Howard County since 1984. Moved here 7 years ago from MoCo. Just the development and traffic I have seen in the last 7 years is insane. Hence, the debate to move away from here. Anyway, that increased traffic with reduced hunting because of urban sprawl, etc., is probably why there are more deer/vehicle collisions. MoCo went through the same thing about 10+ years ago. More vehicles were damaged in vehicle/deer collisions than vehicle/vehicle collisions. So, MoCo has been trying to find ways to allow hunters access to more property without completely upsetting the balance. Kind of like giving a little bit, testing the waters, and then giving a little bit more, versus saying, "Have at em hunters. Rifles are now legal. Hunt every Sunday from opening day to closing day and hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset." They give a little, everybody tries it for a while, if nobody kills anybody or causes too many problems on Sunday, then they give a little more.

As far as refrigeration is concerned, the is a little ridiculous. However, with the weather the way it has been this week, it would be foolish not to process game immediately after killing it. 60 degree weather isn't good for hanging deer carcasses from tractor buckets all day long while you hunt the rest of the day and then processing them at night.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I am going to try to make it. Not sure I’ll get a pass though. If not, tell them another HoCo citizen supports everything you say 100%.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You may be interested to view the testimony from the hearing on the equivalent MoCO bill last year:

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/mga/pl...?catalog/03e481c7-8a42-4438-a7da-93ff74bdaa4c
    the testimony for HB 310 and 313, starting at about 14:45

At about 20 min mark the horse council testified that the Sunday am until 10:30 deer hunting is a compromise, which the horse council would be willing to allow. A few years ago they sponsored a statewide sunday hunting bill... but only until 10:30 am. That bill was not approved.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been riding my bike and hunting in Howard County since 1984. Moved here 7 years ago from MoCo. Just the development and traffic I have seen in the last 7 years is insane. Hence, the debate to move away from here. Anyway, that increased traffic with reduced hunting because of urban sprawl, etc., is probably why there are more deer/vehicle collisions. MoCo went through the same thing about 10+ years ago. More vehicles were damaged in vehicle/deer collisions than vehicle/vehicle collisions. So, MoCo has been trying to find ways to allow hunters access to more property without completely upsetting the balance. Kind of like giving a little bit, testing the waters, and then giving a little bit more, versus saying, "Have at em hunters. Rifles are now legal. Hunt every Sunday from opening day to closing day and hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset." They give a little, everybody tries it for a while, if nobody kills anybody or causes too many problems on Sunday, then they give a little more.

As far as refrigeration is concerned, the is a little ridiculous. However, with the weather the way it has been this week, it would be foolish not to process game immediately after killing it. 60 degree weather isn't good for hanging deer carcasses from tractor buckets all day long while you hunt the rest of the day and then processing them at night.

My debate to. I was born here in ‘83. From my memory the development started big time in the late 90s, but exploded right around 2008-2010 timeframe.

I am sick and tired of more traffic. More people trying to tell me what I can do and how. I am tired of sprawl.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Did you know...its illegal to shoot a squirrel out of a tree in MoCo?...I was in the DNR office at Gwenbrook and an officer there told me.

Can you provide a cite?

Did you know you can shoot a squirrel with a 30-06 in Baltimore (and 11 other ) counties, but if you shoot a deer, you must use a shotgun (or archery)?(Page 11 of dnr hunting guide).

Or that while shooting skunks, you are limited to 3 shotgun shells, with plug required, but a 20 round rifle mag is ok? (Page 51 dnr hunting guide)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If I lived there I would start riding a horse around with those folks. I watched the other link (multiple parts) that was provided and determined if they were on drugs at least they would have an excuse.
    You guys need to get the hell out of there.
    God bless you guys, good luck in your endeavor.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Horse people had better not ride across MY land at any time, Sunday or not. So, I do not see what their issue is, nor their standing, on what I do with MY land at any time.

Amazes me that HoCo is one of the last places in the state with a no Sunday hunt policy and it's only because of the horse people.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You may be interested to view the testimony from the hearing on the equivalent MoCO bill last year:

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/mga/pl...?catalog/03e481c7-8a42-4438-a7da-93ff74bdaa4c
    the testimony for HB 310 and 313, starting at about 14:45

At about 20 min mark the horse council testified that the Sunday am until 10:30 deer hunting is a compromise, which the horse council would be willing to allow. A few years ago they sponsored a statewide sunday hunting bill... but only until 10:30 am. That bill was not approved.

See, I am fine with that. If the horse counsel wants to compromise and give hunters a chance to show that they are regular people too, before going all in, I am fine with that. I can also understand their perspective. Nothing like riding through the woods, pushing the deer in front of you, and then hearing BANG!!!!!!

Heard a couple bangs on Saturday in my neighborhood, and these are homes with 5 acre lots maximum, with mine being 2 acres. Not saying deer hunting cannot be done safely, but hearing the bang right by my house versus on a 100+ acre farm is a little weird, unless of course it is me pulling the trigger. lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    See, I am fine with that. If the horse counsel wants to compromise and give hunters a chance to show that they are regular people too, before going all in, I am fine with that. I can also understand their perspective. Nothing like riding through the woods, pushing the deer in front of you, and then hearing BANG!!!!!!

Heard a couple bangs on Saturday in my neighborhood, and these are homes with 5 acre lots maximum, with mine being 2 acres. Not saying deer hunting cannot be done safely, but hearing the bang right by my house versus on a 100+ acre farm is a little weird, unless of course it is me pulling the trigger. lol

I have to look at the HoCo law again, but I think if you are on 6 acres, so long as you abide by the safety zone, 150 from a stand, 300 without, a firearm is legal.

Shotguns in the “urban” zone of the county, rifles in the rural (deer can only be taken rifles though, no matter where in the county). Oh, and using shot in a shotgun means 150 from the ground is also fine.

Less than 6 acres doesn’t matter if you have written permission from your neighbors or abide by safety zones. Can’t use firearms then.

A safety zone is a safety zone, stupid county.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have to look at the HoCo law again, but I think if you are on 6 acres, so long as you abide by the safety zone, 150 from a stand, 300 without, a firearm is legal.

Shotguns in the “urban” zone of the county, rifles in the rural (deer can only be taken rifles though, no matter where in the county). Oh, and using shot in a shotgun means 150 from the ground is also fine.

Less than 6 acres doesn’t matter if you have written permission from your neighbors or abide by safety zones. Can’t use firearms then.

A safety zone is a safety zone, stupid county.

Yeah, I don't think that is anywhere close to correct. Howard County is shotgun only for deer because of DNR, but I believe I can use a rifle for varmints, etc.

Sec. 8.401. - Discharge of guns—Prohibited.

(a) A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.

(b) A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.

(c) A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.

(d) A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.

(e) This section shall not apply to:

(1) The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to

(2) The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to

(3) The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to

(4) Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to

(5) The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to

(6) The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to

(7) The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.

Sec. 8.403. - Special provisions for hunting.
    (a) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:

(1) Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (i) On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii) On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and

(2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.

(b) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:

(1) Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:
    (i) On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii) On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and

(2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.

(c) (1)(i) The safety zone is the area consisting of 150 yards around a facility.

(ii) Without written permission of the property owner, a person shall not discharge a gun within, from, onto, or across a safety zone.

(2) Whenever a person discharges a gun, the person shall:

(i) Ensure that the projectile has a downward trajectory;
    (ii) Be sure that the discharge is towards a safe, visible backstop; or
    (iii) Use a shotgun that contains only shot.

(d) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, a person has committed a class a offense under title 24, subtitle 1 of the Howard County Code if the person discharges a gun and a projectile from the gun damages a facility or personal property, including pets and livestock, regardless of whether the person has complied with all other provisions of this section.

Where rifles can be used to hunt deer:

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

Howard isn't one of the counties, but most of Frederick and all of Carroll County is, which is a pleasant surprise to me. More green on the map than I had thought there would be. Making me think a little bit harder about a Carroll relocation. lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bah! I mistyped. I mean shotgun only for deer through the county. The rural parts you can use a rifle for NOT deer. You can only use a firearm if the property is over a certain size.

I need to start re-reading what I wrote before I post :-(

Glad you caught it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well, I am not going tonight. I still do not feel good, but they say it is only a sinus infection and some antibiotics should make things better. Hoping the headache goes away soon.

To anybody going, thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Can you provide a cite?

Did you know you can shoot a squirrel with a 30-06 in Baltimore (and 11 other ) counties, but if you shoot a deer, you must use a shotgun (or archery)?(Page 11 of dnr hunting guide).

Or that while shooting skunks, you are limited to 3 shotgun shells, with plug required, but a 20 round rifle mag is ok? (Page 51 dnr hunting guide)

On the no squirrel shooting in a tree in Montgomery County, that only applies to rifles. Moco has a law that you can only hunt with a rifle smaller than .25 caliber and can only shoot at game that is on the ground. Of course that is only in the part of the county where you can fire a gun!

In all of the other counties, the only rifle restrictions are for deer unless there is a part of the county where you can’t fire a gun or there are restrictions on the type of gun (Baltimore and Howard come to mind). If you’re hunting anything other than deer, you can use a 50 BMG if you want.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    email I just got says this was defeated by the HoCo delegation "by a narrow margin."

Got defeated last year too.

From Gail Bates:

The Howard County Delegation continued its consideration of local bills this week. I voted to support changes to our local hunting laws to allow more flexibility in the county’s managed deer hunts while taking steps to ensure that these managed hunts avoid areas where people may be, in an attempt to control the county’s deer population. However, this bill was defeated by a narrow margin. We will meet again next Wednesday. The Carroll County Delegation did not meet this week.

Guess they need more car/deer collisions and Lyme disease before it sinks into their heads.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Maryland is among the nation's leading areas for Lyme disease. There are very few areas as bad as MD and nowhere is worse than MD in number of Lyme disease cases per capita. I personally know about 10 ppl that have got it in Howard County. I think those voting against Sunday hunts should be made to answer how they plan on dealing with the Lyme disease epidemic. Also traffic accidents, also people who's gardens are being devastated by nightly incursions of foraging deer.

This should be a media story if the media has the will to cover it. It's not political, ticks don't descriminate. And pets get Lyme disease as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom