• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I have seen several old guns that have had their serial numbers and the stamped lettering filled with white or other colors. I had tried to duplicate it on some of the firearms I own with paint. When trying to fill the letters I would often times imagine soldiers in an armory doing the same thing and I could not imagine them dabbing with a toothpick in all the serial numbers it is way too tedious. I also found that the paint would wash out with bore solvent.

I noticed on the Mosin and a some GI 1911a1 frames that I had that the filled serial numbers looked like they were filled with a filler and not just paint. They looked “chunky” and thick. The numbers are filled to the brim of the stamped number. The 1911s are filled with a very white substance. Some of the Mosins are yellowish white or even orange. The numbers are filled with something that is very stable and strong. I will put up some pictures later showing what I have seen.

I bought a reprint of a technical manual for the m1 carbine a gun store. The same manual is available online, but the most readily available edition is from a different year than the reprint. In this reprint they describe filling illegible serial numbers with “filler per MIL-100”. (I believe that is the spec, but I am not sure. I have misplaced the reprint and this info is not in the most available edition. I also could find no reference to this spec on t the internet) I thought back to how I thought the original numbers looked like they were filled with “bondo”, which is a body filler used for cars. I could not imagine them using such a filler to fill the numbers. It seems that most of the supplies called to work on military equipment is stuff that could be found in a garage or hardware or grocery store, so I know they didn't use bondo.

Several months passed I was reading about talc and how it is used as a filler in paints and it is the primary filler in bondo. I thought that might be the formula that was originally used by the armorers. Talcum powder is available and has been available historically for quite a while.

I bought some talcum powder in the form of baby powder. I mixed it with white paint and it formed a paste. When it is mixed it behaves just like bondo does. I was able to use a business card to apply over the stamped area of a serial number and then I wiped it off with the edge of the card. It was quick and easy. I tried it with red paint as well and it formed a red paste, (not pink) I filled the selector marking in an ar15 with this. It looks really nice.

Now I am not sure that this is what was used by the armies of the past , but it certainly looks the same and I believe it could possibly be the same or very close to what was actually used.
    What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
      IMG_2042.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 450
    • IMG_2047.jpg
      IMG_2047.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 449
    • IMG_2051.jpg
      IMG_2051.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 456

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm a Soldier, and have been in charge of several arms rooms. I just take a piece of chalk - regular blackboard chalk - and run it over the serial number. It works great, and is not permanent.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    added pics.

Yeah I know of different ways we have been doing this, but I beleive I may have a way that is more permanent and historically accurate.

The first pic is an is part of an old 45 frame. I filled the script on the scope and the pictogram. (standard crappy cell phone disclaimer)

I used oil based paint. I could mix it up and do a rack of M1s in half an hour. It also dries hard as a rock.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    posting pictures of serial numbers is not smart, jus sayin
    but i used crayons and it works great. maybe not on something that gets super hot but they work

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    mvee - what is the mix ratio or did you mix to the consistency of "paste"? I like the idea of the filler being more resistant to cleaners as well as time in general.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    My dad told me they used paint to do this in their framing squares so they could read them easier. Then they did in on anything with engravings they needed to read. That would date back to the depression and WW II. I still do this on a few things including the sights on my 03 Springfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom