Will we ever see cheap C&R rifles again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    thread title says it all. honest question from those who know more about imports. I've heard to expect more imports soon but I don't know where this info came from.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Deals are still to be had here and there, but the $100 for a "bucket of mosin nagants and 10,000 rounds surplus" stories you hear are gone for good. Look for good deals, understand the current price of surplus firearms and buy what you want. Gunbroker during a pandemic before an election is probably not the place to be, but local gun shops, this forum, and some reputable online dealers occasionally have good deals.

Unfortunately a lot of the pop culture famous firearms and US milsurp rifles are getting more and more expensive. Bought a pristine '43 Rem m1903a3 a few months back and well you know what they say- buy once cry once.

Last edited:

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Considering the Biden/Harris team claims they will ban imports of firearms if elected, there is no chance of lower pricing unless Trump is elected. Prices will go through the roof if not and importing could very well be done for awhile.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Rifles? Probably not. The stocks of Second World War surplus that drove that market are exhausted. About the only significant stocks I can think of would be in Russia...and I'm not sure about those.

Pistols are a different story...but it would take a way to get around the ban on imports from Russia, and ideally an exemption for C&R items from the ATF import points system.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    There is also the issue that the SKS was about the last semi rifle fielded to an army. Right around that time many went to select fire so we'll never see those.

Some deals out there still but I don't see the old days coming back.

I think about letting my C&R go but then find something online that is old enough to qualify and it makes it worth it for me to keep it a bit longer.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Oh, it's still worthwhile. But you have to really know how to read proof dates...and hope the seller will deal with a C&R holder. That "automatically C&R after 50 years" means that a lot of postwar firearms are C&R now.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes. There are a whole lot of imports coming in now and when Trump is reelected there will be a whole lot more coming in. Just in the last couple months 3,000 91/30, 3,000 SKS, and 10,000 Carcano were brought in by PW and Century along with half a million rounds of both 54r and x39 surplus ammo. Limex still has 60,000 Carcano in stock and a lot more.

IO is bringing in from Africa. Century from Ukraine. Look for Czech 52/57 soon with rear sights welded at 300m.

Then there is everything that is already here. Those collections will be selling off over the next few years.

Will we see $100 price tags no because $100 in 1988 is $220 today. Will we see $250 or less? Yes. We are already seeing it ok Carcanos.

I also believe this last run up in price was the last we will see. It was driven by free money and fear. Now that the free money tap has been turned off, the panic selling will begin. People will need to choose food. This week alone on GunBroker'

Matching M44 Polish $350
    Matching FN 1935 Peruvian in 7.65 Mauser $383,

FN-49 Lux High Number matching except stock $1,100 (I bought that one)

Consecutive Nunbered No4 Mk2 Irish Contract rifles one with matching No9 bayonet the other with non matching bayonet, that actually feel into the Irish Contract range, $1,225 for both.

I was tempted by all of them.

Don't believe stocks are exhausted, there are many that haven't even been tapped yet. Indonesia is one I am looking forward to.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes. There are a whole lot of imports coming in now and when Trump is reelected there will be a whole lot more coming in. Just in the last couple months 3,000 91/30, 3,000 SKS, and 10,000 Carcano were brought in by PW and Century along with half a million rounds of both 54r and x39 surplus ammo. Limex still has 60,000 Carcano in stock and a lot more.

IO is bringing in from Africa. Century from Ukraine. Look for Czech 52/57 soon with rear sights welded at 300m.

Then there is everything that is already here. Those collections will be selling off over the next few years.

Will we see $100 price tags no because $100 in 1988 is $220 today. Will we see $250 or less? Yes. We are already seeing it ok Carcanos.

I also believe this last run up in price was the last we will see. It was driven by free money and fear. Now that the free money tap has been turned off, the panic selling will begin. People will need to choose food. This week alone on GunBroker'

Matching M44 Polish $350
    Matching FN 1935 Peruvian in 7.65 Mauser $383,

FN-49 Lux High Number matching except stock $1,100 (I bought that one)

Consecutive Nunbered No4 Mk2 Irish Contract rifles one with matching No9 bayonet the other with non matching bayonet, that actually feel into the Irish Contract range, $1,225 for both.

I was tempted by all of them.

Don't believe stocks are exhausted, there are many that haven't even been tapped yet. Indonesia is one I am looking forward to.

This is a great post. I am newerish to the c and r game. Only a few years and about 8 guns in. I have only purchased from Classic, AIM, a gun show and recently RTI. I am not familiar with PW or Limex. Can you explain more and/or perhaps share more places we can buy from other than gun broker of course??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Don't forget the IHC Garands sitting in Iran that were sold to the Shah. Might need a change of regime there to ever see those repatriated, tho.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    If Russian and Chinese imports were allowed we would be swimming in cheap C&R. Just look at what our northern neighbors pay for SKS's.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Rifles? Probably not. The stocks of Second World War surplus that drove that market are exhausted. About the only significant stocks I can think of would be in Russia...and I'm not sure about those.

Pistols are a different story...but it would take a way to get around the ban on imports from Russia, and ideally an exemption for C&R items from the ATF import points system.
    Russia has an immense quantity of arms still in storage. The boom in C&R in the 90s wasn't driven primarily by Russia, but rather by the surrounding states.

It's not looking likely that this will open up, but never say never... If Putin dies and no one truly competent replaces him, new leadership will need cash, fast. Anything not nailed down will get sold, so if the US is permissive, you could see stuff show up in quantity.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    This is a great post. I am newerish to the c and r game. Only a few years and about 8 guns in. I have only purchased from Classic, AIM, a gun show and recently RTI. I am not familiar with PW or Limex. Can you explain more and/or perhaps share more places we can buy from other than gun broker of course??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Limex is the largest arms dealer in the world. They are located in Austria. I don't think they sell directly. They have been the supplier of all the Carcanos you are seeing.

Century, PW, and Interordance are major importers they are buying from Limex and elsewhere. You can buy from them directly. PW and Century with a FFL01 or FFL03 and and IO from their site Royal Tiger.

Smaller importers Edelweiss, MMBI, and Simpsons have been bringing in all kinds of Swiss, Swedes, and others.

Then you have the resellers Classic, AIM, DK, Dan's, and more they are buying from PW and Century.

There is surplus in many Middle East Countries, Ukraine Century/Sarco has a deal for 3 warehouses, Limex is buying from Italian government storage, even South America there are countries that have not Surplused their older rifles still.

A lot of this info can be fact checked through bill of ladings for import shipments at import genius, and the UN Small Arms Report for South America for what they have left in storage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    I am curious as to why imports are so controlled in the first place. To me it seems like it would be in the best interest of the gov to get guns out of some of these countries. And since we arent talking about scary black guns, it seems silly to me.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If the federal government ever manages to sneak in phrasing to alter the definition of antique firearm from current to 100+ years old, I think there will be a massive glut.

Otherwise? Prob depends on who wins the next few elections. Right now carcanos, SKS, and Mosins are pretty cheap, though the ammo isn’t so much anymore.

Lots of other items are a good investment value, but not necessarily cheap.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Actually, if the Obama-era embargoes on certain Russian businesses and persons were to be rescinded, then yes, you actually would see Mosins and RC k98s drop back down, but not likely to the $100/gun. Sub $200? definitely. There are still hundreds of thousands of Mosins and RC K98s over there, but the businesses holding them are blocked from export to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom