• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drott

Apr 18, 2007
    I'm surprised to read that the maximum percentage in favor of a handgun ban was measured in 1959 (60%!). And since then has trended strongly downward, even during the late 60's when the progressive/liberal movement really took off in the US. 1959 was the Eisenhower era, people still had morals, our country was stable and prosperous and violent crime was nothing like it is today. Sure, maybe there was some fear of nuclear war and commies infiltrating our government, but I just don't understand why such a strong plurality throughout the US would have been in favor of a handgun ban at that time?? Unless Gallup sampled incorrectly and unscientifically in their earlier polls? Like, by gathering a falsely disproportionate number of their responses from city dwellers...and largely leaving out "fly over country" respondents?

I dunno, but I'm surprised to read about that one.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    1959 was a different time. Handguns were the tools of criminals, pimps and stick-up artists. Lawful people who carried had small, easily-concealed pocket pistols, which were far and away much more common than larger "belt" pistols, and they saw no need for anything bigger - LEOs needed full-size revolvers and pistols, not the ordinary citizen.

Hunters had cheap military surplus rifles and their grandpa's shotguns, and collectors could get all the Lugers and P38s they wanted. Teevee Westerns caused a big interest in the old single actions, but there were lots of them still around.

Handguns didn't win the Second World War or drive the North Koreans and Chinese back over the river. There were no gangstas, home invasions and car-jackings were as rare as hen's teeth, and hardly anyone had heard of Col. Jeff Cooper or imagined the M1911 could hit anything beyond a few yards away.

All that is very different now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom