can prohibited persons inherit regulated firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    let me start off by saying that i am not a prohibited person nor am i trying to sidestep any laws.

however, i have a friend who IS prohibited, and is determined to find a way to acquire regulated firearms. i do not believe he is or ever will be a threat to anyone, and i think he really just wants a regulated gun "because he cant" kind of thing.

he says that he cannot purchase any legally due to the laws, but that he is free to inherit them from family when the family member dies. im just curious, is this true? is it lawful for a family member to knowingly leave regulated firearms to a prohibit persons? or is it lawful for a prohibited person to receive regulated firearms via inheritance?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    quick answer no.

even its inherited... why would you think differently if he is not allowed to buy? i dont see any special grandfather clause about that.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    the law doesn't say "purchase" or "acquire" it says possess. So the method he obtains them is immaterial. The possession is prohibited.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    i really dont know the specifics, but he seems to think the process is different for inheritance, and that they dont do a background check or anything, thats why i was asking here for further clarification.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I am not a lawyer, first off.

I think it's safe to say though, prohibited means PROHIBITED!, as in cannot posses - period, in MD though. It'd be a violation of MD law, not Federal law (that I know of).

That said, if he's bound set and determined to illegally posses Regulated Arms in MD, then he's ok with the possibility of doing some time and having his 2A right's stripped from him permanently. I believe that would flag him nationwide as well, so no moving to another state to buy guns.

Paging Rusty Shackleford, Paging Rusty Shackleford, your knowledge/experience is needed.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    i really dont know the specifics, but he seems to think the process is different for inheritance, and that they dont do a background check or anything, thats why i was asking here for further clarification.

No, he just wishes they were different. He wasn't bright enough to keep from losing his 2A right so he probably isn't bright enough to realize ownership still applies to him.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
    Yes, a person who —

1.Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
    2.Is a fugitive from justice;
    3.Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
    4.Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
    5.Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
    6.Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
    7.Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
    8.Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
    9.Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
    10.Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    yeah all of this stuff is over my head. would he even be allowed to purchase regulated in another state? AFAIK he was never convicted of a felony, but misdemeanor, and i do not know the maximum jail time for his specific offense (i don't even know his specific offense honestly)

say hypothetically a regulated firearm IS left via inheritance to someone. what is the process? do you have to do the transfer process like you normally would? im speculating here but maybe go to through the transfer process with the will showing that the gun was left to you?

additionally, if said recipient was prohibited, what happens to the firearm? who takes possession of it?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    yeah all of this stuff is over my head. would he even be allowed to purchase regulated in another state? AFAIK he was never convicted of a felony, but misdemeanor, and i do not know the maximum jail time for his specific offense (i don't even know his specific offense honestly)

say hypothetically a regulated firearm IS left via inheritance to someone. what is the process? do you have to do the transfer process like you normally would? im speculating here but maybe go to through the transfer process with the will showing that the gun was left to you?

additionally, if said recipient was prohibited, what happens to the firearm? who takes possession of it?

If he is prohibited (by state law, federal law, or both) than he can't have them in his possession. It may be easier to obtain a firearm when bequeathed in an estate, but just because nobody runs a background check doesn't make it any more legal for him to have them.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    in response to kalister1's post (or anyone else who wishes to respond)

if you are prohibited, you are prohibited from ANY kind of gun? even long rifles and shotguns? not just regulated? and what determines if you are prohibited nationally or just in the state of MD?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    He couldn't buy a regulated item out of state since his home state treats it as regulated, it'd have to be transferred to a FFL (Gun shop) in his home state to do the 4473 (Federal) and 77R forms (Maryland Regulated).

If it was a misdemeanor and he's prohibited, his sentence would've been 1 year or more, regardless of whether he actually had to serve any of it, probation included.

If a regulated arm is left to a prohibited person, they can't posses it, simple as that. Someone else would have to take possession, but if they allowed him access to it, that'd be a state charge to that person if they were caught.

Again, I'm not a lawyer.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
    Yes, a person who —

Read the question again, it says Firearm or Ammunition

No regard to "Regulated" which is strictly a Maryland term, NOT Federal. This is from the ATF website, NOT Maryland.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    in response to kalister1's post (or anyone else who wishes to respond)

if you are prohibited, you are prohibited from ANY kind of gun? even long rifles and shotguns? not just regulated? and what determines if you are prohibited nationally or just in the state of MD?

kalister1's post reflects what is on the ATF website (with a link you can follow). Those parameters are the same for ALL firearms (both long-guns, and handguns).

Look man, if your boy KNOWS THAT HE IS PROHIBITED, then he's probably not allowed to have a gun PERIOD. That's it. There's no way to backdoor it. If he is PROHIBITED and obtains it through whatever scheme he is concocting he should be prepared to pay the price if and when he gets caught.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    kalister1's post reflects what is on the ATF website (with a link you can follow). Those parameters are the same for ALL firearms (both long-guns, and handguns).

Look man, if your boy KNOWS THAT HE IS PROHIBITED, then he's probably not allowed to have a gun PERIOD. That's it. There's no way to backdoor it. If he is PROHIBITED and obtains it through whatever scheme he is concocting he should be prepared to pay the price if and when he gets caught.

:thumbsup:

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    yeah im just trying to wrap my head around all the laws. im trying to see in what way someone would be allowed to own non-regulated guns, but not be allowed to own regulated ones. is this just a MD thing? seems to me that if you have a conviction with a max sentence term longer than 1yr, you are prohibited from owning, any gun, in any state. correct?

but i have seen circumstances where people say you are allowed to possess non-reg. only with misdemeanors that carry max sentence less than 1yr? and in which case its only MD holding that person up on the regulated stuff?

also, what about FTF transactions of non-regulated stuff? obviously theres no authority to prevent such a transaction from taking place, but that would be illegal still then i assume? just trying to understand it all.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yeah im just trying to wrap my head around all the laws. im trying to see in what way someone would be allowed to own non-regulated guns, but not be allowed to own regulated ones. is this just a MD thing? seems to me that if you have a conviction with a sentence term longer than 1yr, you are prohibited from owning, any gun, in any state.

but i have seen circumstances where people say you are allowed to possess non-reg. only with misdemeanors that carry max sentence less than 1yr? and in which case its only MD holding that person up on the regulated stuff?

i know couple that has happen to them.. dont know exactly what the diffference is.

dajudge

Feb 22, 2011
    western md.
    I think the law states that it IS illegal to knowingly give or sell a firearm to such person. To make it worse would to be out somewhere with this gun and get a "routine" check for licenses or a traffic stop only to find to be in possession of an illegal firearm. Jail time gets higher, especially if it is a handgun. JM2cents

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    My neighbors son took posssion of over 30 inherited firearms not sure what any of them were but he is a felon as i now facing over 20 counts of illegal possesion and a few illegal sales so that could be the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom