• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I have a PA carry permit (thanks Centre County), but I'm not sure if it is still valid. Here is the issue. PA issues to non-residents who have a permit in their home state. When I lived in DE, I had a permit and got my PA permit on that basis. Now that I no longer live in DE, and my DE resident permit is no longer valid, does that automatically invalidate my PA permit?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I would think the PA permit is valid until it expires. I think the requirement applies only when you apply to PA for a Non-resident permit. Not a lawyer but that is my 2 cents.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    The license is good until it expires. Technically, the issuing sheriff could revoke it as you are no longer qualified, but it is not automatically void...and PA doesn't not have any requirement to notify of change of address.

You won't be able to renew.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

snip

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    no, the permit is no longer valid as you are no longer are a non-resident seeking a non-resident permit. null and void. done, re-apply, have fun.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that the permit is no longer valid because you no longer meet their requirements.

If you are still carrying your DE license you are not in violation and your DE permit is still good too. :rolleyes:

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    i know some have already quoted the laws, but here is a website were you get all the PA gun laws and info regarding carry permits. Once you pull up the website at the lower left hand side you will see a category for "Carrying Firearms" and it has a lot of good info.

I'm not saying anyone on here is wrong, but it might be imprudent to make a decision to carry(or not carry) your firearm in PA based on what people believe to be true, without consulting the laws yourself. I don't know the answer, but here you should be able to get an answer:

http://www.pafoa.org/

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    OP stated his DE permit is no longer valid. He does not mention having any other states permit.

Correct on all counts. DE permit is definately invalid. No other states.

I guess I should just man up and take the Utah class. :sad20:

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

You can still use your DE permit to get the AZ permit.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Im confused didnt your OP say you had a DE permit which allowed you to get a PA permit? so you have 2 permits? DE expired...PA should be good till it expires unless it is expired already...

TopShot0352

Feb 5, 2011
    Gettysburg
    Im confused didnt your OP say you had a DE permit which allowed you to get a PA permit? so you have 2 permits? DE expired...PA should be good till it expires unless it is expired already...

Problem is PA requires Non residents to have a permit in the state they reside in to qualify. He now lives in Md which means he does not qualify.

Just go the open carry in PA route technically don't need a permit (however you won't catch me doing it)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Problem is PA requires Non residents to have a permit in the state they reside in to qualify. He now lives in Md which means he does not qualify.

Just go the open carry in PA route technically don't need a permit (however you won't catch me doing it)

ah ok this I understand...I didnt look at his location on his profile pic...Utah permit is cheaper now I think...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom