What do we do after pulling the trigger?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I get the "say as little as possible to start, then STFU" angle. But one poster suggesting saying this to 911
    VERY generically: "Need an ambulance for a man down, possible gunshot wound. Give location and HANG UP!"

I think that's some weird phrasing. I'd hate to end up in court and have to explain how the guy was coming at me, I aimed at his chest and pulled the trigger and he fell to the ground bleeding from his chest and I said to 911 "possible gunshot wound" then hang up ?? Seems odd to me.

Also, wouldn't it be best to let the cops that are on their way know that it's the bad guy that's down so that they don't come into the situation completely blind and thinking there's a down civilian and a possible shooter in the bushes? I know they'd never come in completely relaxed, but I'd like them to have as much info on the situation they're walking into as possible.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Only use one magazine, do not reload. It shows that you stopped long enough to think about what you were doing. The prosecutor will then eat you up on the witness stand, as to whether or not you could have stopped at any moment.

When the police arrive, have them take the gun out of your hand, as you are standing there with a glazed look on your face, still dry firing the weapon.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    dig.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    We had some good responses but then the usual jackwagons have to contribute their usual immature drivel so it is no wonder our battle to become a shall issue state has so many problems.

Hopefully, some our resident LEOs, Lawyers and current MD Permit Holders can offer some opinions on the thread.

To the jackwagons, this is an open thread so don't feed the Anti-2A trolls. They already have enough against us.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Sweep and continue to look for additional threats. Get family in safe place if not already there. Once secured, call 911 and answer questions from 911 operator. Request to stay on line with 911 operator to allow for communication with responding officers. Comply with commands of LEO on their arrival. Answer their questions truthfully - if I shot someone in my home it was because there was mortal fear for my family or myself.

Hope that I am not faced with the situation in the first place. A death by force in my home will probably have long lasting psychological effects, particularly if my family is witness to it.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    We had some good responses but then the usual jackwagons have to contribute their usual immature drivel so it is no wonder our battle to become a shall issue state has so many problems.

Hopefully, some our resident LEOs, Lawyers and current MD Permit Holders can offer some opinions on the thread.

To the jackwagons, this is an open thread so don't feed the Anti-2A trolls. They already have enough against us.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. A serious question deserves a serious answer.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    The 'card' posted by the OP said this regarding the attacker:

If the attacker has been shot and has been disarmed, and no longer a threat try and assess his injuries and render first-aid if possible.

I think that's entirely reasonable.

Just look at the Gerald Ung incident (fresh of the presses). Having called an ambulance and coming to the assistance of DiDonato while on the phone with 911 certainly helped him to make his claim of self-defense to the jury.

Well I disagree. My position is like a football game. If I go through the trrouble to knock someone on their ass, I am not helping them up when the play is over :tdown:

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    anybody have the info for a good lawyer if an incident should happen?

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I'm not into killing anyone, I just want to stop the threat. Then, if I'm absolutely sure that the threat is neutralized...

How do you plan on ascertaining that? You don't know if he's conscious or not...he could just be playing possum until you get close. Even if he is unconscious, your efforts could bring him back...his first impulse when he sees you sitting over him within reach is going to be...what??

You don't know. Chances are the guy is in total shock and irrational from just being SHOT...you don't know what he's going to try to do.

Don't put yourself in that position. It's a firearm, not a Star Trek phaser. It doesn't conveniently put him to sleep right away like in the movies, it just puts a hole in him. Whether he retains, loses, or regains consciousness in the process of "bleeding out" is not something you're going to be able to ascertain in the heat of the moment, and as long as he can move his arms he can choke the sh*t out of you or pull a weapon on you.

I'd just stay away.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Death to an attacker is simply one possible outcome of you stopping the threat. You did not "kill" anyone. You preserved your life and/or the lifes of your family. You should under no conditions approach or adminster aid to the attacker. You are not obligated to and you put yourself in harm's way by doing so, both physically and possibly legally. You have to suppress your "better angels" and let the professionals do their job.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I agree.
    What if you or your spouse is a Doctor or Nurse? Is there some silly law requiring you to assist because you ARE a professional? I'd hate for someone to be sued because they were "supposed" to render aid and understandably did not...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What if you or your spouse is a Doctor or Nurse? Is there some silly law requiring you to assist because you ARE a professional? I'd hate for someone to be sued because they were "supposed" to render aid and understandably did not...

You dont assist because there is a law that requires you to do so. You assist to show that you had no malice towards the person you had to harm to protect yourself.

If the burglar sues you, he will sue you for shooting him, not for your less than perfect skill at first aid.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    IBTL.

But I would like to add something I read from Mas Ayoob.

It went to the effect of tell the police your name, where the attacker(s) came from, how they made you fear for your life, and which way they went when the attack was over - including anything else you may have noticed like dropping something in a bush or throwing something. Basically make a statement only so you dictate the terms. Then wait for your lawyer BEFORE answering any questions.

I don't recall ever seeing the first aid angle discussed but I would be inclined to wait for the ambulance after calling 911.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    No need to lock the thread, just delete the garbage and ban them from the forum. The rules are clearly posted.

After pulling the trigger? I wait for the "reset" click and get ready to squeeze again..

But seriously.. if an attacker is down (confirmed down), it would depend greatly on the nature of their wound and the location, to determine my next action.

I would not want to let them out of my sight, if at all possible. Just because they are down doesn't mean they aren't mobile. I feel you need to maintain positive control of the situation with eyes-on. Until police arrive, there is still a threat, albeit not an immediate threat to your life.

Once the 9-1-1 call is complete, I have two things I need to do.

1. Mentally and physically prepare for when police arrive. I need to have my weapon safe, possibly downloaded, and in a location that would not have a cop with no a priori information think that I may be the criminal or a threat to them. If there is evidence of the crime, I want to ensure that it remains untouched and exactly as-is for when police arrive.

2. If the attacker has a serious wound to the central nervous system, there is little if anything I will be able to do on the scene. If the attacker has a serious wound but their CNS is intact, but they are bleeding profusely, as a human being I feel obligated to provide bulky bandages (a towel, t-shirt, etc), and allow them to apply pressure to their wound until the paramedics arrive. The towel can be tossed to them and does not require getting close.

If the attacker has a sucking chest wound, I would similarly feel obligated to provide the appropriate temporary dress (a section of plastic taped on three sides), which I may apply myself depending on the person's state. I would be very careful when approaching, and would don some sort of rubber or latex gloves if I were to apply it myself. Under no condition would I allow their blood or other fluids to get on my bare skin.

Why would I provide aid? Because I don't want to live knowing that I let somebody die, regardless of how they got to that state. Call it weakness if you want, I call it honor and duty as a human being.

3. Depending on where you live, it might take a while for police to arrive. I suggest tea & crumpets.

One other note.. immediate first hand accounts are not always accurate. I would personally avoid providing too much detail to police on the spot. Simply state the gross facts, "Person came into my house, attacked me, I responded with gunfire, called 9-1-1, rendered aid. Lawyer please."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom