• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thought it would be fun/insightful to get your unbiased and unfiltered input into my current build. Was choosy with parts and took the time to find deals/ get what I knew I really wanted.

That said, flame away! Also, opinions on any shortcomings or potential issues or feedback also appreciated! Specifically with the buffer/ spring set up. I don’t run weak ammo.

Waiting on a few parts and then will start building!

EDIT* - didn't realize how much damn BCM stuff I have on this. Not a fanboy, but it's what I got good prices on and I can trust their QC.

Tip to Butt:

- SilencerCo ASR 3 prong Flash Hider (for Saker 556, mounted about 50% of the time).
    - Criterion 16in mid gas factory marked HBAR 223 Wylde 1-8 CL.
    - BCM low profile gas block, .750.
    - BCM Mid length gas tube.
    - BCM MCMR Mlok 13 inch rail
    - BCM Gunfighter Vertical Grip Mod 3
    - BCM stripped “blem” upper with upper small parts.
    - BCM BCG (sans O ring)
    - Aero Precision M4E1 stripped lower.
    - Aero Precision LPK minus FCG.
    - Radian Talon Safety Selector (45 degree throw).
    - Magpul MOE grip.
    - JP Enterprises Oversized Microfit takedown pins (had laying around and used for tighter fit)
    - Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch.
    - Geissele SD-C trigger (two stage).
    - Radian Raptor SD-SL
    - CMMG Receiver end plate.
    - BCM Castle Nut
    - BCM A5 Intermediate Receiver Extension.
    - Sprinco Green buffer spring.
    - V Seven Enhanced Teflon Coated 4.6oz A5 Buffer.
    - BCM Gunfighter SOPMOD Mod 0 Stock.
    - Magpul Pro BUIS
    - Surefire Scout 600DF with Arisaka inline Mlok mount.

Optics - Vortex UH - 1 “Huey” with Vortex 3x Micro flip to side magnifier.

Last edited:

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    If your going to run the saker 50% of the time. Might be a good idea to get an adjustable gas block. Also what BCG are going to use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If your going to run the saker 50% of the time. Might be a good idea to get an adjustable gas block. Also what BCG are going to use ?

Edited.

I am using a BCM BCG - without O ring installed.

I have a superlative Arms AGB on another build. I don’t love it.

I’m hoping with criterion barrel and A5 buffer set up, I’ll be GTG running both suppressed and unsuppressed. Criterion barrels are supposed to have correct gas port sizing and are not known to be over gassed.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Gotcha. Don’t own any of their barrels yet , but got a couple bcm BCG. I use a SLR adjustable block and like it. Seems like you’re on your way to a great rifle !
    Sends pics when you’re done

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Gotcha. Don’t own any of their barrels yet , but got a couple bcm BCG. I use a SLR adjustable block and like it. Seems like you’re on your way to a great rifle !
    Sends pics when you’re done

Thanks. I thought about the SLR.

I did a lot of research into barrels, gas systems, buffers before choosing these parts. In a perfect world I wanted a rifle that functioned reasonably well suppressed and unsuppressed without the extra moving parts of an AGB.

My superlative arms AGB has run flawlessly, but in its “bleed off” mode, it never quite achieves the performance im looking for. Even at max bleed off, it’s still what I would consider slightly over gassed, so I’ve left it in restrictive mode instead.

Time will tell! I’ll post pics once it’s built and will offer a range report.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not sure why you're bothering with sourcing the back end of your lower from so many places; the BCM A5H2 kit is pretty well-constructed, not terribly expensive, and would simplify your parts sourcing quite a bit. I've been running the A5H0 and A5H2 kits with no problems.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Not sure why you're bothering with sourcing the back end of your lower from so many places; the BCM A5H2 kit is pretty well-constructed, not terribly expensive, and would simplify your parts sourcing quite a bit. I've been running the A5H0 and A5H2 kits with no problems.

Good point. The buffer system I just recently sourced and no complete kits (that I could find) are in stock. I also like the BCM tube because of the extra position. I run Sprinco springs in everything, and the V Seven buffer was the only quality buffer I could find right now.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I'd ditch the Aero LPK and go BCM or SOLGW.

While Aero still makes decent stripped lower/uppers, the other parts have been sketchy.

I’ll look into it. I have a mish mash of quality small parts I plan to use (V seven detents, springs). I really only need a few parts off of it. The remaining parts are going on a budget build for the wife. Basically building two rifles at once, but my rifle gets the fancy parts :-)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I’ll look into it. I have a mish mash of quality small parts I plan to use (V seven detents, springs). I really only need a few parts off of it. The remaining parts are going on a budget build for the wife. Basically building two rifles at once, but my rifle gets the fancy parts :-)

You may be able to order the parts you need individually from SOLGW. Really, for like $40 or so, you can get an entire SOLGW LPK kit. I can't imagine it's that much more expensive than Aero's LPK and you give that second rifle more reliable parts.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I think you're in good shape. And you're using a Criterion barrel, which I would not expect to be over-gassed, so there's a decent chance it'll run well both suppressed and un-suppressed with a fixed gas block.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think you're in good shape. And you're using a Criterion barrel, which I would not expect to be over-gassed, so there's a decent chance it'll run well both suppressed and un-suppressed with a fixed gas block.

Heck yeah, that's the plan! My buddy has the same barrel and he's had a hard time finding anything it won't shoot very well.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Heck yeah, that's the plan! My buddy has the same barrel and he's had a hard time finding anything it won't shoot very well.

I wouldn't expect it to do well with cheap ammo, but you already noted that you aren't interested in that option.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I wouldn't expect it to do well with cheap ammo, but you already noted that you aren't interested in that option.

Yep. The lowest pressure stuff I have is Fiocci .223 which has always been surprisingly good ammo for me. The rest is all 5.56 or hotter match stuff.

Perfect world would be that this rifle shoots excellently with the 77gr IMI Razorcore since it's the most economical 77gr option and runs real hot.. to be determined.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I also have a Criterion mid length HBAR. Mine's in Stainless

As expected, it shoots really well when I'm shooting well.
    I'm running custom 69gr SMK reloads in it.

Get a box of Federal Gold Metal Match and see how tight it gets.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thought it would be fun/insightful to get your unbiased and unfiltered input into my current build. Was choosy with parts and took the time to find deals/ get what I knew I really wanted.

That said, flame away! Also, opinions on any shortcomings or potential issues or feedback also appreciated! Specifically with the buffer/ spring set up. I don’t run weak ammo.

Waiting on a few parts and then will start building!

Tip to Butt:

- SilencerCo ASR 3 prong Flash Hider (for Saker 556, mounted about 50% of the time).
    - Criterion 16in mid gas HBAR 223 Wylde 1-8 CL.
    - BCM low profile gas block, .750.
    - Bootleg Nitride mid length gas tube.
    - Midwest Industries MI Combat Rail Ultralight series, 12.625 inch.
    - BCM Gunfighter Vertical Grip Mod 3
    - BCM stripped “blem” upper with upper small parts.
    - BCM BCG (sans O ring)
    - Aero Precision M4E1 stripped lower.
    - Aero Precision LPK minus FCG.
    - Radian Talon Safety Selector (45 degree throw).
    - Magpul MOE grip.
    - JP Enterprises Oversized Microfit takedown pins.
    - Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch.
    - Geissele SD-C trigger (two stage).
    - Radian Raptor SD-SL
    - CMMG Receiver end plate.
    - Spikes Tactical Lightweight Caste Nut - Nitride.
    - BCM A5 Intermediate Receiver Extension.
    - Sprinco Green buffer spring.
    - V Seven Enhanced Teflon Coated 4.6oz A5 Buffer.
    - BCM Gunfighter SOPMOD Mod 0 Stock.

Optics - Vortex UH - 1 “Huey” with 3x flip to side magnifier.

You're is not nearly as nice as mosspumper's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom