• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    For those of you/us who are not or are unlikely to bug out, you’re staying at home. Great.

What applicable intel have you gathered for your current location? Where are you most vulnerable? Who, around you, can you depend on? Is your home hardened? Can it be hardened? Do you have materials, know how and capability to harden it? If your home is a frame home, you do realize that it’s permeable?

Where is the high ground near you? How near or far away is it?

How will you heat your home if it’s wintertime? How will you eat in the first week? Month? Year? Subsequent time?

How are you gonna deal with sewage? How sustainable is that?

How are you gonna do with a fire in your home?

What will you do for an alarm/early warning system?

Do you have a steady, uninterruptible source of water?

Just a couple thoughts...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not everything is about you...
    Shhhh! You'll hurt his feelings. :lol:

I was thinking about this yesterday. My immediate conclusion was, Alamo stands are good until they're not. Then you're scrod. Always gotta have a plan B(C, D, E...)

ETs and jackhammers...:innocent0

Quasar

plebe
    Dec 17, 2018
    Hill's Of Western Md.
    Exellcent points to think about here. ARMAGEDDON... Say society completely brakes down. Ahhhh... THEY are coming for what you got.... In a shoot out how much would a brick home protest you? Im thinking anything above 30 cal would send you to the basement and then the cinder blocks down there won't take the 223, 5.56 rounds. How do you harden your home anything short of filling it with sandbags? Food is yet another dilemma. The stream only has so many fish. There is only so much wild game in your area. Early warning sys.... Im thinking after the am/fm bands fall silent unless you are a ham op. cb? there wont be any.
    Enough of this train of thought on EASTER SUN.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M60 in one arm, belt wrapped around the other. Red bandana and screaming in rage is his I’ll go down. :-)

Can only do so much. Okay off if we are just taking a regular home invasion. A real SHTF and my in-laws bug out here if they can. That puts 6 adults under one roof. Water and heating as well as sewage is not issue for at least a few years if not longer. Food would be tight, but might make it depending on when. Can easily increase the tillable land by 5-6x in a few weeks work. Already doubling the garden this year and probably growing about 50-75% if our fresh produce for this coming year. 100% of our berries/jam and tomatoes/tomato sauce. In 2-3 years all our fruit (trees are still young). Could till under and grow wheat and corn also. Wild game of course could be difficult if the neighbors all go for it.

Got 11 hens and a rooster...

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    1. The house has two brick/block windows downstairs fairly defendable shooting areas, front. Three trained shooters in the house and a defendable retreat range stop 30 yards from the back door.

2. Where is the high ground near you? House is built into a hill behind it to the west. Range stop area.

3. How will you heat your home if it’s wintertime? How will you eat in the first week? Month? Year? Subsequent time? Wood stove and I can make jerky in the smokehouse and will have rice and wheat in buckets and I live in farm country. Farmers of silos of grain to sell/trade. We got a rooster and 27 hens. We could survive on fried rice and eggs. That reminds me, how to best store a gallon of soy sauce. :) Plus they have a beef fattening farm up the hill from me. Pretty sure I could get one for jerky in short order if they can't sell them.

4. How are you gonna deal with sewage? How sustainable is that? Septic tank, just add water to the toilet tank.

4. How are you gonna do with a fire in your home? House on fire? Not well. Can cook in the garage or patio on camp stove, or rocket stove, outside the house?

5. What will you do for an alarm/early warning system? The dog alerts to noises.

6. Do you have a steady, uninterruptible source of water? Well with a pvc dump bucket and rain collection from gutters.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Exellcent points to think about here. ARMAGEDDON... Say society completely brakes down. Ahhhh... THEY are coming for what you got.... In a shoot out how much would a brick home protest you? Im thinking anything above 30 cal would send you to the basement and then the cinder blocks down there won't take the 223, 5.56 rounds. How do you harden your home anything short of filling it with sandbags? Food is yet another dilemma. The stream only has so many fish. There is only so much wild game in your area. Early warning sys.... Im thinking after the am/fm bands fall silent unless you are a ham op. cb? there wont be any.
    Enough of this train of thought on EASTER SUN.
    Quasar

Yep. Sand bags will work. Among other things...

Ever see how an old school phone book or a stack of magazines or catalogs stops an incoming round? You can bind them up together or you can fill something with them...ever seen a roll around anvil case?

There’s a heck of a lot of solutions if you understand the problem and are even a little creative.

Fire wood, stacked properly, can be a great projectile deterrent.

You get the point.

Happy Monday.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
      IMG_0129.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 228

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What applicable intel have you gathered for your current location?
    Have lived in my location for over over 30 years combined (two different times).

Where are you most vulnerable?
    Am 100 yards off the road, but direct line of sight. If SHTF, would be putting up blackout in the windows so activity/lights couldn't be spotted.

Who, around you, can you depend on?
    I own the house directly behind me and renters are our friends and very dependable (my wife's best fried and her former Marine live-in). Farm to the right at 3 oclock would be cooperative. Neighbors from 7 oclock to 9 oclock are cooperative but unprepared. 9 oclock neighbor is an *******, but might be cooperative if it were in his interest. I'll eat him first.

Is your home hardened? Can it be hardened? Do you have materials, know how and capability to harden it?
    Not hardened, but have material to protect windows etc. If it got bad, we would fall back to consolidate resources with our friends in our house at 6 oclock…. could all fit in that house, it is all brick, another 150 yards off the road, and not visible from the road. We have discussed this plan.

If your home is a frame home, you do realize that it’s permeable?
    Yep... see above

Where is the high ground near you? How near or far away is it?
    Our house is the high ground. Have a good rooftop location for an observation post (easy access from inside and can be sandbagged).

How will you heat your home if it’s wintertime? How will you eat in the first week? Month? Year? Subsequent time?
    Geothermal system means it wouldn't get too cold. Otherwise, have fireplace and outdoor firepit/cooking area. Back up house has fireplace too. Unlimited supply of wood.

How are you gonna deal with sewage? How sustainable is that?
    Short term... water dumped into toilet tanks would continue to work the septic fields. Long term, plenty of room for an outhouse if needed.

How are you gonna do with a fire in your home?
    Lots of fire extinguishers. If using fireplace for heating/cooking, would have buckets of water strategically placed.

What will you do for an alarm/early warning system?
    Dogs plus a few countermeasures I won't list, but yes, I've thought about it.

Do you have a steady, uninterruptible source of water?
    Yes. Have built well bailers, plus have a spring and two year-round creeks in my woods (would be a chore to hall water, but it's there if needed).

All excellent points. Stuff you have to think about. My preference is dig-in, but I also have an out-of-state, bug out location that is probably even more sustainable than main plan. Getting there would be a challenge in SHTF, but if something regional required relocation, I'd load up and head there. Can get there on one tank of gas, if we push it.

Quasar

plebe
    Dec 17, 2018
    Hill's Of Western Md.
    Quasar

Yep. Sand bags will work. Among other things...

Ever see how an old school phone book or a stack of magazines or catalogs stops an incoming round? You can bind them up together or you can fill something with them...ever seen a roll around anvil case?

There’s a heck of a lot of solutions if you understand the problem and are even a little creative.

Fire wood, stacked properly, can be a great projectile deterrent.

You get the point.

Happy Monday.
    :D My feet are back down on the ground :D Prep for the worst. That way anything that comes along you can handle. Yes to being creative. I have addressed most if not all of the original post questions. Banding together with neighbors (what neighbors i have) would be an idea but were old F ers and so are they, if they would even stay. Meds would be a tuff one for wifey and i also. But thats why this post is called the ALAMO.:thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yea, thought about this when we moved in thinking about the premise of a 2 week power outage from a terrorist attack scenario.
    IMO, much beyond that SOOO many people are F'd anyway.
    My protection say during a wide spread power outage is that there are MUCH easier targets than me. both due to my location away from town and near the end of my neighborhood
    Pool with lots of water for running the septic system.
    Water filtration tools
    Food storage for 2 months pretty much always (6 months at the time of this post)
    5 Adult/Teens trained on operation of firearms
    Plans for setting up perimeter booby trap/sounding devices
    Ability to lightly arm neighbors on my street if needed to create a buffer zone.
    propane Tank for heat
    Windows are the only weak points cause outside is Eifs (like Stucco)
    Creek with running water down the hill on my property

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom