Meal Kit Supply MREs - back in stock soon (3/30/20)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They were still in them in the early '80's.

The MCI (Meal Combat Individual) was officially stopped procurement in 1980. Replaced by the MRE.

So the ones still being used in the 80s (and yes, I ate a few in the 80s) were from the 70s.

Cigarettes were eliminated in 1975.

The C-ration actually ended in 1958, and was replaced by the MCI.

Both were similar so most people called the MCI a C-rat

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    ***This is what one of the individual meals looks like. I bought all 20 "Menu" options. Some are really good, and all are very filling. Loaded with Sodium and Fat, along with protein. Very energy dense food. They are not health food by any stretch, but they will keep you alive and able to move and work for sure. Last resort perhaps, but they don't taste bad and keep for a long time if stored well.

Is it me, or has it been a while feet have made it into posts?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    These were the good old days. Traded my cigarettes for canned peaches a lot. The spaghetti and beef stew wasn’t too bad.

Back in late 70s, early 80s a friends father had a bunch of "C rats" I dont know why,,, but we raised them,, over and over again. Ahhhhhh the wisdom of early teens. Took a bit to figure out the can opener.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Back in late 70s, early 80s a friends father had a bunch of "C rats" I dont know why,,, but we raised them,, over and over again. Ahhhhhh the wisdom of early teens. Took a bit to figure out the can opener.

I used to keep a P-38 on my dog tags. Until one time it opened and stuck me bad when it was pressed hard against my chest.

That fricken hurt.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    WHERE are you finding a can of corn beef hash for .69 cents???

That's my favorite light breakfast. Cooked on a single propane burner, on my truck's tailgate, while in my bathrobe... because my wife can't stand the smell of it cooking. :D

I don't recall, I think it was a Giant but they were small single serving cans. 350 calories a can.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Has anyone been able to find the MRE pizza menu? I used to get them at the commissary overseas but this one came out recently.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I used to keep a P-38 on my dog tags. Until one time it opened and stuck me bad when it was pressed hard against my chest.

That fricken hurt.

Useless trivia.P stands for puncture and 38 is the amount of cuts it takes to open a C rat can.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Fort Meade Commissary had MREs for $4.75 yesterday, if you have Commissary access.

Really? wow Andrews Comissary is $9.88 each and has been for almost 2 years (well was $8.something last year)

Didnt think commissaries would be that much different, next time I will head up there. (I use them for camping/day hike/etc foods, and also keep a week or 2's worth on hand most of the time.)

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Has anyone been able to find the MRE pizza menu? I used to get them at the commissary overseas but this one came out recently.

I saw them at Bass Pro or Cabelas, dont remember which. It wasnt MRE packaged, but it was the same Bridgford pizza in their own branded package. 2 Slices in a pack.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Useless trivia.P stands for puncture and 38 is the amount of cuts it takes to open a C rat can.

Except they were designed and supplied with K rats before there were C rats.

They happen to be 38 mm long though. :) The larger P-51 opener is 51 mm long.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****I guess as a last resort they are ok. As far as I know, we can still get food at the markets, including some foods that have a pretty long shelf life. I have some MRE's and other types of "survival" food, and they taste ok, but are not the healthiest options out there for most folks - especially those who are obese, have high BP, cardiomyopathy, peripheral vascular diseases, diabetes, etc..

The meals from Midway in the link above seem to be kind of thrown together, and perhaps not as calorically dense as regular MRE's. There is no caloric or nutritional info in the description, but just eyeballing it doesn't look like that much food for that price.

IMO, you can do better yourself just being mindful at the market, buying the crackers, and some kind of canned foods, or other long shelf life foods, grains, etc... A lot cheaper too.. Your digestive system needs soluble and insoluble fiber (think roughage) in the diet to help with pooping and clearing you out. Most people DON'T drink enough water, and don't exercise much so they already have issues with binding up eating these kinds of food.

You won't be able to function well or for long without proper nutrition/hydration. Longer term, eating a poor diet tends to cause a variety of health problems that lead to an early grave. Many of the common medications people are on would not be as prevalent if people took better control of their health. Old people are guilty of nothing more than getting old and will probably not do well if they get sick. Many younger people have no excuse for many of their ailments, as they are lifestyle related and manageable/preventable with some discipline and making exercise and proper nutrition a part of their life.

I don't have a link, but I think Sporstman's Guide either got or is getting a big shipment of MRE type food. I buy a lot from them so they send me emails all the time it seems. You might want to check with them and see if their product/price fit your needs.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The MCI (Meal Combat Individual) was officially stopped procurement in 1980. Replaced by the MRE.

So the ones still being used in the 80s (and yes, I ate a few in the 80s) were from the 70s.

Cigarettes were eliminated in 1975.

The C-ration actually ended in 1958, and was replaced by the MCI.

Both were similar so most people called the MCI a C-rat
    They must have been feeding us old ones in the summer of '76, because we had little 4-packs of cigs in ours.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They must have been feeding us old ones in the summer of '76, because we had little 4-packs of cigs in ours.

Most likely.

First in, First out.

In 76, you may have been eating ones from the 60s. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom