• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Looking for recommendations. Ahead of the possible change to allow straight walled cartridges for deer hunting statewide. What complete 350 Legend upper should someone look at that is above the PSA, Bear Creek, Radical level, but not reaching into the $500-600 range? Can we get quality for around $400?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly I would build it and ensure a quality barrel (which is the key to any hunting rifle). Its not like AR uppers are that hard to assemble or to replace the barrel. A quality barrel will run you ~300 ish and up and 100% worth it.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    One thing to keep in mind, they may allow the straight wall cartridge but they may not allow it in a SA. Single or bolt.

You may wish to see how things pan out.

Looking for recommendations. Ahead of the possible change to allow straight walled cartridges for deer hunting statewide. What complete 350 Legend upper should someone look at that is above the PSA, Bear Creek, Radical level, but not reaching into the $500-600 range? Can we get quality for around $400?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I've seen a few You tube vids, but I'm not really mechanically inclined nor that interested in building. More plug and play. It would get shot little, mostly to sight in and then for hunting. Followed by a few more rounds prior to the next season. So no need for a premium barrel. Just want it to be reliable and decent accuracy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    One thing to keep in mind, they may allow the straight wall cartridge but they may not allow it in a SA. Single or bolt.

You may wish to see how things pan out.

The proposed regs are out. I've read through the comments to date, I think that these new rules were well vetted before they were proposed**. There is no change to the types of rifles (or shotguns) allowed. Right now you can hunt with a semi auto AR-12 type shotgun with a box magazine (up to 8 shell capacity). There is no change to that.

** Most of the complaints in comments seem to be around changes to the so-called primitive season and the lack of a statewide 50 yard safety zone for archery.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone done one yet? Thinking solid about a 2021 project with a 350 legend upper.

Got a M16A1 upper i love the look of but I’ll never use it. Thinking about selling to fund (no PMs please, i won’t respond, early stages)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    .350 Legend is an interesting cartridge.

I've read good reviews about CMMG 'stuff', and IF I were to buy an upper assembly, it would be one of these.

https://cmmginc.com/product-categor...?orderby=popularity&filter_caliber=350-legend

The worst part of the cartridge, is finding different weight bullets for reloading, for hunting.
    The only one I've seen/found, is the 170 gr Hornady.

I am loading the cartridge for my youngest son's Winchester XPR bolt gun.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Get a quality barrel for your upper. A buddy and I both cheeped out on barrels on our builds and had feeding issues. In both cases they were solved by polishing the entry to the chamber. I have read about similar feeding issues on the net possibly aggravated by the lack of taper of the cartridge walls. If I were to do another I would buy a better machined barrel.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I went the CMMG complete upper route (first time in at least six that I haven’t assembled from individual components). Four deer down with it in the opening week of deer season. It has performed well and no issues....

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm not a hunter, so I don't understand. Why does the state care whether your cartridge is straight walled or not?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'm not a hunter, so I don't understand. Why does the state care whether your cartridge is straight walled or not?

Bottle neck cases like a 30-06, are to powerful, or so the state says. Straight walled are lower powered do to case capacity, bullet weight, etc. Some of the denser populated counties restricted to shotgun and ML in the past, are now allowing SW cartridges. I think the old rule was questioned and changed because a sabot round fired from a ML or some rifled shotguns like the Savage 220 generate more power and range than the old soft lead Foster slugs fired through a smooth bore. In essence a 450 BM is about the same as a 20 gauge sabot in range and lethality so why not be able to choose either or.

FWIW , I went different direction than originally intended. I decided to forgo the AR upper and went with a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. Found it at a price I couldn’t resist in this mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom