• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFD

Nov 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    The Md. laws say I must have a heavy barrel only. Is this law for any caliber AR15 barrel ? OR just 5.56/.223 cal. barrels? I was interested in building a 350 legend AR type rifle. Must it be a 16" H-Bar barrel? I can only find m4 style barrels online. Thanks

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    5.56/.223 only. Not a lawyer, but as current law dictates, AR-15 laws are specific to 5.56/.223 caliber. Any other caliber whether it be a pistol caliber, 300blk, 308, 350 legend, 458 socom, etc is good to go as long as you follow barrel length requirements (16in). At that point it is considered a long-gun and is cash and carry.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    5.56/.223 only. Not a lawyer, but as current law INTERPRETATION dictates, AR-15 laws are specific to 5.56/.223 caliber. Any other caliber whether it be a pistol caliber, 300blk, 308, 350 legend, 458 socom, etc is good to go as long as you follow barrel length requirements (16in). At that point it is considered a long-gun and is cash and carry.

FTFY.

The law is silent on caliber for an AR-15. While other listings (Min-14 folding stock) are specific to a caliber.

But, at this time, MSP is treating any non-5.56/.223 as not banned.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Which uppers are you looking at? Thinking of going to the 350 especially if they go straight walled cartridges statewide for deer season.

They are trying to add .300 BO to the specifically banned list this session

The caliber or just in the AR 15 platform? How could they possibly ban untraceable parts? I mean they could ban the sale of everything 300 BO in the state, but if someone wanted an upper it would be pretty easy to get with no way of knowing when it was purchased...UNLESS they ban the entire caliber from possession...and once again, I ain't turning in a GD thing..

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They are trying to add .300 BO to the specifically banned list this session

The caliber or just in the AR 15 platform? How could they possibly ban untraceable parts? I mean they could ban the sale of everything 300 BO in the state, but if someone wanted an upper it would be pretty easy to get with no way of knowing when it was purchased...UNLESS they ban the entire caliber from possession...and once again, I ain't turning in a GD thing..

The proposed law would add the Anderson AM15 in 300 blackout, so it would be just AR15 (and copies).

OP: only a 223/556 standard direct impingement style AR15 needs a heavy barrel. Piston ARs and other calibers do not need HBAR.

350 legend is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom