• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I dont have one yet!!! But there are several on here who do and seem to love them. Try search function on here since there are several threads with info on them.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Jeep likes his -- when it actually works.........:innocent0

Like most .308 battle rifles these days, there's probably not a lot of shooting going on :sad20:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Jeep likes his -- when it actually works.........:innocent0

Like most .308 battle rifles these days, there's probably not a lot of shooting going on :sad20:

Awwww come on it's not like an FAL. And atleast I shoot mine enought to know if it will have a problem. 60 rds isn't exactly a stress test for a rifle . . . . .

I did have 1 issue after a few thousand rounds I had some cutting on the bolt face which PTR took care of no questions asked. The gun never failed to function.

She eats anything I feed it and it shoots minute of zombie.

Can't ask for much more then that.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Awwww come on it's not like an FAL. And atleast I shoot mine enought to know if it will have a problem. 60 rds isn't exactly a stress test for a rifle . . . . .

Hey, it only 50 rounds! That means I've only "wasted" $25 in this ammo frenzied world. Don't want to speculate a price tag on your PTR/M1A/NFA bill........:innocent0:D

Back to the PTR - I've never heard a single person that has owned one that was disappointed. I'd LOVE to have the cash to buy one (or three).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I was going to buy a rifle that fired .308, it would be the PTR-91, period, end of story.

Anyone know if it's rated for "real" 7.62mm?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I prefer the FAL as a 308 battle rifle, but I've been very pleased with my PTR-91s. I had a problem with the rear sight on one of them, but I sent it back to the company and they fixed it in short order. No complaints there. If you find a decent deal on one I'd say go for it.

Here are mine:

Attachments

• PTR91F.jpg
      PTR91F.jpg
      15.6 KB · Views: 199
    • PTR91K.jpg
      PTR91K.jpg
      16.3 KB · Views: 200

wamin

Jan 22, 2008
    Boyds
    I have one

I have several HKs and various clones that I've picked up over the year. I have a polygonal barrel version. Shoots better than most of the clones and one 91 beater I have but not as nice as a couple of high end HKs I have. Good value!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Thanks for the info. A friend of mine if interested in either a PTR-91 or DSA FAL as an alternative to an AR-10 or M1A.

I have a M1A Scout for my 308 battle rattle that I love and its' only drawback is it has such nice wood that I don't want to get her dinged and bruised.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    Unfortunately I'll be out of town until the first weekend in June, but if you can wait till then, and drive out to Frederick, you can eye one up and shoot it yourself. It doesn't have the pretty new furniture of DD's, but it should function the same.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks for the info. A friend of mine if interested in either a PTR-91 or DSA FAL as an alternative to an AR-10 or M1A.

Compare the cost of magazines and spare parts. I think right now the 91 has an advantage in regards to magazine price. There should be plenty of spare parts for the FAL in country.

I have a M1A Scout for my 308 battle rattle that I love and its' only drawback is it has such nice wood that I don't want to get her dinged and bruised.

Are there any relatively inexpensive plastic type stocks that you can buy and drop on the gun in case the poo poo hits the fan?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The PTR 91 is a good weapon. Don't consider the CETME.

Remember, there are two versions of the CETME, the Century built gun, not worth it and then there are some pre '89 import ban Spanish guns that are desirable. (These "pre ban" guns command a price near a pre import ban FAL or HK91. $2,000+)

I had an HK93, great gun. As mentioned, taking the bolt apart was interesting. If I didn't have a custom built FAL and enough parts and receivers for three more FALs I would buy a PTR.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    Remember, there are two versions of the CETME, the Century built gun, not worth it and then there are some pre '89 import ban Spanish guns that are desirable. (These "pre ban" guns command a price near a pre import ban FAL or HK91. $2,000+)

I had an HK93, great gun. As mentioned, taking the bolt apart was interesting. If I didn't have a custom built FAL and enough parts and receivers for three more FALs I would buy a PTR.

I took the liberty of assuming that it was a Century built CETME. There are only a handfull of original CETME in country.

Go for the PTR 91.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Are there any relatively inexpensive plastic type stocks that you can buy and drop on the gun in case the poo poo hits the fan?

If the ballon goes up, nice wood be damed. That rifle will have a job to do and appearances won't matter much.:D

I could get a OEM black fiberglass stock but the rifle just loses some much personality compared to wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom