• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Ahoy shooters,

What, in your experience, is the the softest shooting factory 9mm? Keeping in mind that it must make 125 power factor.

Looking for a factory round that compares favorably with my 130 power factor reloads (135grn bullet over titegroup).

I am considering shooting factory ammo for Major matches only (shooting nationals this year and I want to negate any preventable issues).

Recommendations plz

T

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    For factory ammo, I've been told the heaviest -for-caliber loads are the softest. So, 147g for 9mm. I generally use the federal loads. Compare energies of the various offerings.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    For factory ammo, I've been told the heaviest -for-caliber loads are the softest. So, 147g for 9mm. I generally use the federal loads. Compare energies of the various offerings.

That has not been a generality in my experience. I have shot factory target 147s that have more felt recoil than factory target 115s. Power factors seems to vary widely from brand to brand bullet to bullet etc.

I'm hoping to get recommendations of specific loads from specific manufacturers as a starting point so I don't have to shoot and chrono all of them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And the news you don't want to hear :

You're going to have to shoot and chrono several loads.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I will concur that I find 147gr to be softer shooting than 115gr but my experience is limited.

My go to round for 9mm is Speer Lawman Clean-Fire 147gr. http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=53826

That's helpful, linking the factory ballistics, thanks.
    147grns at 985 muzzle velocity is over 144 power factor which tells me this will not work for me. I'm looking for around 130 power factor. But at least now I won't have to test it which is great!

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Freedom munitions lists an American Steel branded 147 gr at 900 fps. In fact a lot of their 147 gr offerings are listed at 900 fps. I have shot maybe 2k of their ammo, and it is about all I will buy anymore.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Check out some of the Bill Wilson stuff, I shoot it in my 952 and it is very accurate as well as being low recoil. My 5" SW 9mm like the 4" round as well as the 5", not sure on power factors.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Bil...-FPS-5-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-125-HAP/
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Com...0-FPS-4-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-147-RN/

WOW, I always wanted a S&W PC 952...

I have a friend that has one & I love shooting it...

The closest I got to it is the S&W PC 945...

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I agree, the heavier the bullet, the softer the recoil...

Most folks will say this but in my experience I sort of disagree. I don't think bullet weight makes a huge difference in general recoil energy. I think the "character" of the recoil is a better way to talk about it.
    For example, I have found that a 115grn bullet making 130 powerfactor has more snap, and a 147grn bullet making the same powerfactor has more of a push.
    Both make the same powerfactor so the both recoil with the same energy, but the feeling of the recoil is different. It comes down to shooters preference and in large part how they grip the gun as to what makes it feel better to shoot person to person.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Hornady makes a reduced recoil, 9mm, 100gr FTX, Critical Defense round that is probably what you want to dup. If you can get the info on the powder they use, you're good to go.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...-luger-100-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-25

Thanks for the recommend but unfortunately while these probably have very little recoil, according to the numbers from the factory these come in at 112.5 powerfactor which is too low to be competition legal.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Check out some of the Bill Wilson stuff, I shoot it in my 952 and it is very accurate as well as being low recoil. My 5" SW 9mm like the 4" round as well as the 5", not sure on power factors.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Bil...-FPS-5-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-125-HAP/
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Com...0-FPS-4-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-147-RN/

NOW we are talking. Thank you for this. 125grns at 1075fps is around 134 powerfactor and the 147s come it at 130ish so even better! I will be ordering some to test.
    Its super expensive, but im not practicing with it or shooting locals just using it for major matches.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Freedom munitions 124's feel pretty nice too...... never chrinoed them but the feel a little zipper than my 120pf 3 gun 124 load. Prob worth buying a box of the 124 and 147 and seeing how they feel/chrono for you

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Most folks will say this but in my experience I sort of disagree. I don't think bullet weight makes a huge difference in general recoil energy. I think the "character" of the recoil is a better way to talk about it.
    For example, I have found that a 115grn bullet making 130 powerfactor has more snap, and a 147grn bullet making the same powerfactor has more of a push.
    Both make the same powerfactor so the both recoil with the same energy, but the feeling of the recoil is different. It comes down to shooters preference and in large part how they grip the gun as to what makes it feel better to shoot person to person.

I'd be curious to see what 115, 124, and 147 looks like side by side video high speed video.
    My guess is the slide with 147gr moves slower under recoil extending the force over a longer period of time (ie lower impulse) compared to 115gr.
    For example Speer Lawman at the muzzle 147gr (318 ft lbs) and 115gr (368 ft lbs). 147gr imparts less energy into the handgun.

Power factor and energy are not the same.
    130 Power Factor 115gr would be moving at 1130 ft/s and has an energy of 325 ft lbs at the muzzle.
    130 Power Factor 147gr would be moving at 884 ft/s and has an energy of 255 ft lbs at the muzzle.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I'd be curious to see what 115, 124, and 147 looks like side by side video high speed video.
    My guess is the slide with 147gr moves slower under recoil extending the force over a longer period of time (ie lower impulse) compared to 115gr.
    For example Speer Lawman at the muzzle 147gr (318 ft lbs) and 115gr (368 ft lbs). 147gr imparts less energy into the handgun.

Power factor and energy are not the same.
    130 Power Factor 115gr would be moving at 1130 ft/s and has an energy of 325 ft lbs at the muzzle.
    130 Power Factor 147gr would be moving at 884 ft/s and has an energy of 255 ft lbs at the muzzle.

Ah yes I see your point agree when talking muzzle energy numbers but I do think that perceived and/felt recoil can be more subjectice.

I.e. I prefer the feel of 135s and even 124/5s over 147s at the same powerfactor.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    actually if you don't mind spending a little more, check out atlanta arms. they make ammo specifically for competition, so as to get comfortably close to the power factor floor. among others, the AMU uses their ammo.

i use their .40 reloads in uspsa limited, and they're definitely softer than any factory ammo i've tried, and yet they still make the major PF floor.

https://atlantaarms.com/

it's been a long time, and i have just enough physics classes to be dangerous, but i think that muzzle energy (1/2mv^2) is a better measurement/indicator of recoil than momentum (power factor, MxV) and the two can be wildly different. but certainly gun weight and balance, ergos and the like can come into play.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I've been using Freedom munitions 115grain 9mm a power factor of 132 for !DPA. shoots soft to me. I assume you are using grain times muzzle velocity divided by 1000. So 115 times 1150 equals 132250 divided by 1000 equals 132.250 just above the 125 for IDPA ssp

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom