• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimoes86

Sep 15, 2015
    Since im new to firearms I have a few questions about ammunition.
    1. Where can I get good ammo for the cheapest prices?
    2. What are some good 9mm ammo brands for just target shooting? (if there is such a thing)
    3. From what I have researched there is a difference between target rounds and home defense. I have also read that there are certain restrictions on types of ammo for home defense. So my question is what would be good home defense ammo to keep at home?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST seem to be the most popular from what I've seen. Hornady Critical Duty too. No ammo restrictions in MD that I know of.

For range ammo Winchester White box, or any FMJ bullet. I used freedom munnitions reman a lot. Its cheap and works.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    By target I assume you mean practice and paper punching rather than competition. If you are starting out, range time is more valuable than more accurate ammo. A consistent sight picture, trigger squeeze and hold is going to more for your accuracy than an ammo that is 30% more accurate out of a Ransom rest.

I'm seeing of Youtube videos lately on something called Lehigh Penetrator. It offers too much penetration for home defense as far as I am concerned.

jsimoes86

Sep 15, 2015
    By target I assume you mean practice and paper punching rather than competition. If you are starting out, range time is more valuable than more accurate ammo. A consistent sight picture, trigger squeeze and hold is going to more for your accuracy than an ammo that is 30% more accurate out of a Ransom rest.

I'm seeing of Youtube videos lately on something called Lehigh Penetrator. It offers too much penetration for home defense as far as I am concerned.
    Im not really looking for more accurate ammo. I completely agree that i should be focusing on my shooting mechanics since i just got into shooting. Im mainly looking for info on what brands arent gonna break the bank when i go practice, what places sell inexpensive ammo (LGS, Walmart, Bass pro, etc.)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Here you go, free shipping for a limited time,
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/ammo-shooting/handgun-pistol-ammo/9mm-ammo?d=121&c=95&s=959

Some of this is Berdan primed or in steel cases and not reloadable, if that is in your future. I don't know one way or the other if any of the Ruskie ammo are steel core bullets, but if there are, they will not be welcome at an indoor range. Someone here will know.

Remanufactured from Freedom Munitions is cheaper and reloadable

https://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1823.htm

I always tey to pay about $200/1000rds. That's a good deal on target ammo.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Another endorsement for Freedom Munitions reman. They also do a lot of deals with free shipping. Just subscribe to their emails. And they offer various bullet weight options too, so if you like 124gr or 147gr 9mm, they usually have it at the best price.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    if you are shooting 9mm, I assume handgun, what size handgun?

walmart will usually have the cheapest you can find locally, as they almost always have perfecta 9mm in stock for 10.97 +tax. now, depending on where you live your walmart may not carry ammo, which is a shame, but that is the case with a number of walmarts in different parts of the state

jsimoes86

Sep 15, 2015
    Thank you all for the info. Im gonna check walmart this weekend and thr freedom munitions website.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since im new to firearms I have a few questions about ammunition.
    1. Where can I get good ammo for the cheapest prices?
    2. What are some good 9mm ammo brands for just target shooting? (if there is such a thing)
    3. From what I have researched there is a difference between target rounds and home defense. I have also read that there are certain restrictions on types of ammo for home defense. So my question is what would be good home defense ammo to keep at home?

Thank you.

Since you are new to firearms let me suggest a few things and resources to help you get started right.

First is to develop good basics so you don't learn bad habits. The best single source of handgun shooting information I know of is the USAMU (United States Army Marksmanship Unit) Pistol Marksmanship Guide which is available for free online here:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Second is to learn about the differences in ammunition weights, types, etc. Here is a beginners guide to 9 mm but Google can help you find much more information:

http://www.exurbanleague.com/misfir...oosing-defensive-and-practice-9mm-ammunition/

Third try to keep your ammunition consistent because you will find different weights, types, and even manufacturers will show different points of impact when fired by the same shooter in the same gun. These differences are accommodated by adjusting sights when changing ammo. As to sources there are many and prices vary so I will only mention one source that although not the cheapest is completely reliable and whose proceeds are used to support the shooting sports the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program), they have lots of helpful information on their web site and it is worth your time to look around. Here is their ammunition page:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ammo-parts-accessories/

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Howdy & welcome...

Range ammo...

What you are looking for is inexpensive ammo, which is reasonably accurate, which is powerful enough to cycle the action of your semi-automatic & is readily available...

What my experience, you want is FMJ (full metal (copper) jacket) brass cased ammo...

Winchester White BOX 9mm x 115 grain FMJ is typically available at good prices at WalMart...

It comes in boxes of 50 & in Value Packs of 100...

Walmart in Towson has Value Packs of 100 in stock for $25.44...

Plus all indoor ranges that you may shoot at will have good quality 9mm ammo available...

BTW, This ammo will also blow holes thru anyone that you can accurately shoot it at...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-9mm-Luger-115-Grain-Full-Metal-Jacket-Bullets-100ct/33117044

jsimoes86

Sep 15, 2015
    Thank you all for the advice and websites ... does anybody have an opinion on the G2 RIP ammo for personal defense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom