• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    It looks like the PBS documentary program Frontline is doing a piece on the NRA and it's political clout. They are calling it "Gunned Down". It might be an interesting watch but the title foreshadows it being just a bit of a hit piece. Here is the link to the teaser.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gunned-down/

As a style note, the ominous deep voiced narrator of Frontline, Will Lyman, makes anything sound sinister. :)

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I doubt this will be anything positive. PBS is probably still pissed about their anti gun poll actually showing that 90% of america is pro gun so they are going to try to demonize the Democrats boogie man, the NRA, some more.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It will be just a normal liberal hit piece. Frontline is produced by WGBH, the Boston, MA PBS station. It's coming from the belly of the beast.

What else would you expect.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Typical left wing hit piece. Not a single mention that mental illness is to blame, not inanmimate objects.They focused on school shootings, then blame the gun loophole and other unrelated issues. Not one mention that all the guns were obtained in other ways.

Why don't they do a special on the National Liquor Dealers Association and blame them for drunk driving deaths?

Same analogy.

nothing to see here,. move along.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I was watching Maryland Outdoors last night on MPT, which is one of my favorite programs anywhere. The program was finishing up when an ad came on for the up and coming installment of Frontline.

I heard the letters “NRA”, and it immediately piqued my attention. Without missing a beat, I heard buzz words such as “powerful gun lobby”, “mass shootings” and “assault weapons”. :rolleye12 That 30 second blub was all that I needed to know that is was going to be one sided at best, and a smear job at worse. After I cleaned up the rockfish dinner that I had just barfed up, I switched the channel to something else. I had no intention on watching this program.

Frontline has so much potential, and they are typically very comprehensive and in depth. They do not fabricate and cut and paste as Michael Moore is so infamous for, but they cherry pick their subject matter, and only do stories which bolster the left wing worldview. This episode was no different. A libertarian commentator once noted that Frontline will never do a piece on the defensive uses of firearms my citizens…

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm not so sure that they deliberately use the hyperbole language and take the anti position as part of an orchestrated agenda. More likely they hire a bunch of ignorant, non-gun owning people who have already bought into the nearsighted propaganda. I think some of them believe it and think they are moderate, being fair in what and how they report.

Their bias is institutional and deep seated; although founded on nothing more than twisted sensationalism and morbid curiosity. Some of them may be deliberately pushing an agenda, but I think just as many have already drank the cool aid.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Actually , back at #14 , that's overly wishful thinking.

Way back when I not only had hair , but before I shaved , I had a light bulb moment.

Upon q handfull of topics upon which I had knowledge , the newspapers and TV getting most of detail seemingly out of thin air , and basically lieing . Thought about it for a cpl of minutes about them being wise , impartial and informative about everything else , and only wrong on the one or two subject where I knew better ? Nah , couldn't be , they're just as incompetent and/ or lieing about everything else.

The media is skilled at *seeming* to be fair and impartial regarding anything the viewer/ reader doesn't know better about , But treat everything with skepticism , and assume that somthing is spun in everything you see.

It's a heck of a thing when "honest media" is only distorting for sensationalism to gain ratings/ circulation , instead of pushing a political agenda. ( Insert the joke about Honest Politicians .)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Actually , back at #14 , that's overly wishful thinking.

Way back when I not only had hair , but before I shaved , I had a light bulb moment.

Upon q handfull of topics upon which I had knowledge , the newspapers and TV getting most of detail seemingly out of thin air , and basically lieing . Thought about it for a cpl of minutes about them being wise , impartial and informative about everything else , and only wrong on the one or two subject where I knew better ? Nah , couldn't be , they're just as incompetent and/ or lieing about everything else.

The media is skilled at *seeming* to be fair and impartial regarding anything the viewer/ reader doesn't know better about , But treat everything with skepticism , and assume that somthing is spun in everything you see.

It's a heck of a thing when "honest media" is only distorting for sensationalism to gain ratings/ circulation , instead of pushing a political agenda. ( Insert the joke about Honest Politicians .)

This is key. There is a art to modern propaganda and you must study it. Orwell is but the begining...

It only hard to see if you look for old school propaganda. If you ask why was that word chosen? Why is that quest introduced as an expert, but no credentials are mentioned? Why is that guest introduced first as a Represenative of a group that has nothing to do with the subject at hand?

Why is a paid expert less credible than and unpaid one, even if the unpaid one has a personal motive to lie...

It goes on ...

Its almost funny...

Learn the new ways of propaganda.. they are more subtle but no less effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom