• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Sure, OweMalley may have pushed the tax locally, but this was a FED mandate.

Formally known as HB 987 or the Stormwater Management-Watershed and Restoration Program, the “rain tax” – passed by the state legislature and signed into law on May 2, 2012 – was in response to a 2010 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandate aimed towards reducing the pollution levels in the Chesapeake Bay. While the EPA’s $7.7 billion project called on the seven surrounding states to pass legislation recommendations contained within the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report, Maryland is currently the only state to have actually listened to the federal agency.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Sure, OweMalley may have pushed the tax locally, but this was a FED mandate.

Feds cannot mandate states to do anything through legislation. Feds CAN condition funds on state action though.

State is free to do what they wish. For example, lower BAC threshold to .08 and receive highway funds or keep BAC threshold at .12 and not receive funds.

So don't blame the feds for this one.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Feds cannot mandate states to do anything through legislation. Feds CAN condition funds on state action though.

State is free to do what they wish. For example, lower BAC threshold to .08 and receive highway funds or keep BAC threshold at .12 and not receive funds.

So don't blame the feds for this one.

+1

This is just like how the Feds "urged" states to pass gun control laws because the Feds couldn't ram it up our ass without significant pushback (unlike Maryland).

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    While I disagree with the concept of this tax I think it is important that people have an actual understanding of what it is. I've seen a lot of people talking about the "Rain tax" as a tax on rain; this sounds pretty absurd and clearly would be ridiculous. However, the idea behind the tax was to charge businesses that have large impervious surfaces that damage the environment for operating in such a manner.

While I think it has been brought about in a mismanaged way and the implementation is equally poor it is irritating to hear people who still think that there is literally a tax on rain. That is not true and it just adds to misinformation that circulates.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    While I disagree with the concept of this tax I think it is important that people have an actual understanding of what it is. I've seen a lot of people talking about the "Rain tax" as a tax on rain; this sounds pretty absurd and clearly would be ridiculous. However, the idea behind the tax was to charge businesses that have large impervious surfaces that damage the environment for operating in such a manner.

While I think it has been brought about in a mismanaged way and the implementation is equally poor it is irritating to hear people who still think that there is literally a tax on rain. That is not true and it just adds to misinformation that circulates.

What?

Its a very descriptive nick name, that IMO describes the tax perfectly. It's not a tax on water used in washing ones car, or cleaning ones side walks and drive ways, etc..., it's specifically deals with rain run off from impervious surfaces such as ones roof.

And this little gem will cost us big, in the tune of ~300 million a year...

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Taxes serve purposes. For instance: tax alcohol to support "treatment" for DUI offenders, tax firearms and ammunition to support wildlife management programs or tax tobacco to offset healthcare costs.

Here, the state has no interest in improving the Bay. This is supported by the fact that there are no credits available (such as "install a rain barrel and reduce your tax by 25%" or "run your gutter runoff into your garden for a $50 credit"). These credits would actually impact runoff water from getting into the bay even for those of us who are 50 miles away from the Bay (I still find it difficult to believe that my little patch of dirt 50 miles away would be a problem, but I digress).

This tax is nothing but an ass ramming by the great state of Mayland.

Last edited:

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    I have no driveway and all runoff from my roof runs into my garden/landscaping.

I'm still getting taxed.

For having rain fall on my property.

BS

Karl

Mar 7, 2013
    What are they doing with this taxmoney?
    Do they clean the water in the bay or do they spend them wisely as Politicians always do?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    It's sad when your state is known for being the one state to do something and that one thing is to put the citizens into more suppression.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    What are they doing with this taxmoney?
    Do they clean the water in the bay or do they spend them wisely as Politicians always do?

They spend it. They are smarter than you. You don't need money you earned, they do.

It is not disposable income used to better you and your families lives. It is regarded as an "un-tapped revenue stream" I swear that's what they call it.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have no driveway and all runoff from my roof runs into my garden/landscaping.

I'm still getting taxed.

For having rain fall on my property.

BS

But you don't always know what's best for you, and it's about time you started paying your fair share. Besides, you didn't make that happen - someone else made that happen. Why do you want to hurt the environment? Do it for the children!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Taxes (ARE SUPPOSED TO)serve purposes. For instance: tax alcohol to support "treatment" for DUI offenders, tax firearms and ammunition to support wildlife management programs or tax tobacco to offset healthcare costs.

Here, the state has no interest in improving the Bay. This is supported by the fact that there are no credits available (such as "install a rain barrel and reduce your tax by 25%" or "run your gutter runoff into your garden for a $50 credit"). These credits would actually impact runoff water from getting into the bay even for those of us who are 50 miles away from the Bay (I still find it difficult to believe that my little patch of dirt 50 miles away would be a problem, but I digress).

This tax is nothing but an ass ramming by the great state of Mayland.

FIFY. Another example is the Transportation Fund-supposed to fund transportation infrastructure but was raided for other purposes so that tolls had to be raised dramatically as well as gas taxes.
    Forbes has it right. This is another way for Maryland to tax citizens to cover it's horrible spending ways (and to buy votes). Little if any will end up going to the bay-they'll find other taxes for that(chicken sh*t?)

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    FIFY. Another example is the Transportation Fund-supposed to fund transportation infrastructure but was raided for other purposes so that tolls had to be raised dramatically as well as gas taxes.
    Forbes has it right. This is another way for Maryland to tax citizens to cover it's horrible spending ways (and to buy votes). Little if any will end up going to the bay-they'll find other taxes for that(chicken sh*t?)

And that's the biggest objection anyone should have. Supporters of the "Rain Tax" love to point out that the money is going to be used to save the Bay and it even says so in the law. However, anyone who actually has a clue about how Maryland politics work knows that they shift money around with skill that would impress a money launderer. If they can't just raid it like they do with the transportation fund, they'll find other ways. Remember how slots were going mean new schools, new textbooks, and more teachers? Wrong. They defunded schools and used slot revenues to make up the difference.

Mj45

Feb 4, 2013
    In our HOA community, AA county is taxing the HOA's "impervious" property which gets passed to each homeowner via increased HOA fees. This is on top of your own property being taxed as well. The only good news to come out of a meeting with a county official on this matter is that there is an online appeals process, one of the only in the state. Our HOA complained about some of the designated areas in our community and had several of the locations taken off of their list of taxable areas resulting in a $3k savings. They plan on appealing the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom