• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have an M203 40mm launcher registered as a DD and yes it is LOADS of fun to shoot. The original Form 1 has the barrel length of 9" and engraved with pertinent info as this was a build rather than an outright buy.

I have a 12" barrel for it as well. Can I just use that barrel or do I/should I write to BTFE and get the 12" barrel added to the record? And, do I need to get the 12" barrel engraved as well?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 400px-M203xm177.jpg
      400px-M203xm177.jpg
      10.1 KB · Views: 258
    Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If your engraving is only on the 9" bbl, then you have to have the 12" engraved too. The gun has to stay marked in any configuration. No need for notifying the ATF unless you plan to get rid of the 9" bbl.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    If your engraving is only on the 9" bbl, then you have to have the 12" engraved too. The gun has to stay marked in any configuration. No need for notifying the ATF unless you plan to get rid of the 9" bbl.

Cool, trip to Engage I guess.

Thanks,

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Wait, what? The receiver is the serialized item(assuming we're talking about an AR). The barrel doesn't need to be engraved. If you keep the 9" upper, correct. No need to notify ATF for another upper. If OP changes to a different barrel length and discards the F1 listed barrel, then yes, he does have to notify ATF of the change. AFAIK.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Wait, what? The receiver is the serialized item(assuming we're talking about an AR). The barrel doesn't need to be engraved. If you keep the 9" upper, correct. No need to notify ATF for another upper. If OP changes to a different barrel length and discards the F1 listed barrel, then yes, he does have to notify ATF of the change. AFAIK.

Read the NFA marking requirements. You have to mark the receiver or barrel for a SBR for example. Yet the AR receiver is the part/serial on the paperwork. So if the barrel on your short upper is marked and you remove it to put a 16+" upper on you are fine. But you can NOT put another short upper on it without ALSO marking that uppers barrel or you would have an unmarked SBR. It's common for things like DDs to mark the barrel as you can sell the serialized receiver later w/o your info on it. I have some SBRs where it was more convenient to mark the barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Read the NFA marking requirements. You have to mark the receiver or barrel for a SBR for example. Yet the AR receiver is the part/serial on the paperwork. So if the barrel on your short upper is marked and you remove it to put a 16+" upper on you are fine. But you can NOT put another short upper on it without ALSO marking that uppers barrel or you would have an unmarked SBR. It's common for things like DDs to mark the barrel as you can sell the serialized receiver later w/o your info on it. I have some SBRs where it was more convenient to mark the barrel.
    Ok. Never understood marking the barrel instead of the receiver, or why marking the barrel would be preferred.

As for the DD, I would expect it to have its own serial number, just as any other NFA item.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok. Never understood marking the barrel instead of the receiver, or why marking the barrel would be preferred.

As for the DD, I would expect it to have its own serial number, just as any other NFA item.

Also, you CAN put a 16" or longer upper on an engraved AR lower and still be fine.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Also, you CAN put a 16" or longer upper on an engraved AR lower and still be fine.
    Correct. But resale is low since your info is on it. ARs it's really convenient to mark the lower since it's so easy to have a dozen+ uppers. Not all firearms are that easy to swap around.

One example: My Kriss Vector I marked the barrel. The receiver is almost entirely plastic except the tiny area that has the serial. Was easier to stamp the underside of the barrel part that sticks out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Correct. But resale is low since your info is on it. ARs it's really convenient to mark the lower since it's so easy to have a dozen+ uppers. Not all firearms are that easy to swap around.

One example: My Kriss Vector I marked the barrel. The receiver is almost entirely plastic except the tiny area that has the serial. Was easier to stamp the underside of the barrel part that sticks out.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK, I will add pictures but, this is not an AR. This is an M203 Grenade Launcher registered as a destructive device. The receiver for the launcher does have a serial number but, is a title 1 device until the barrel is added, which was done after the Form1 was approved. The barrel has its own engraving with the serial number on the Form1 just like an SBR would have.

Here is a picture of the 9" barrel and the launcher mounted

Dave

Attachments

• 400px-M203xm177.jpg
      400px-M203xm177.jpg
      10.1 KB · Views: 181

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, I will add pictures but, this is not an AR. This is an M203 Grenade Launcher registered as a destructive device. The receiver for the launcher does have a serial number but, is a title 1 device until the barrel is added, which was done after the Form1 was approved. The barrel has its own engraving with the serial number on the Form1 just like an SBR would have.

Dave

Beautiful! :drool:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Dave

I've got a video of blksniper2000 shooting your M203. 1st shot, he hits a 1 gallon jug at 50 yards!

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Dave

Wow. Thats badass!!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’m not sure if there is a dedicated thread on 40mm launchers or not, but what is the benefit of having a 40mm DD over an over the counter 37mm launcher? Are you shooting differnet projectiels from the 40mm?

Sorry if thats a dumb question, but i know nothing about either launcher.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It's what you shoot out of it that matters, not just the diameter really. If you only want to shoot flares you don't have to register. If you want to shoot other types of rounds like chalk, balls, beehive, etc you must register as a DD. More 'fun' rounds are readily available in the 40mm size than 37 which is why most go that direction. I don't think there are any 40mm flares, so possessing a 40mm tube you better have the tax stamp first.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    It's what you shoot out of it that matters, not just the diameter really. If you only want to shoot flares you don't have to register. If you want to shoot other types of rounds like chalk, balls, beehive, etc you must register as a DD. More 'fun' rounds are readily available in the 40mm size than 37 which is why most go that direction. I don't think there are any 40mm flares, so possessing a 40mm tube you better have the tax stamp first.

Good to know, thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

...and if you'd like to shoot 40mm grenades(real ones), you would need a 40mm tube...oh, and a tax stamp for each grenade.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It does look like fun I'll say that much. Interesting set-up too. The sights on our M203's (mounted on M16A1's) had sights that flipped out to the side and were remarkably accurate once you got a feel for how they worked. 55 gallon drums were almost too easy to hit. There was also a smorgasbord of different 40mm ammo available, although, I only got to qualify with HE. The guys in my platoon who were assigned one of them (grenadier) got to shoot it all: HE, WP, Airburst, flares, etc. It almost made it worth lugging that extra weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom