• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Using a scope with adjustable elevation and a 20MOA rail, you can easily reach out to 300 yards. On my rifle with an MOA scope, I'm using 40 MOA to hit targets at 300 yards using Eley Force. In previous matches I was using Lapua Center-X with a 53 MOA adjustment.

I know one person that competes in this match with a cheap Savage rifle from Walmart and a cheaper scope. He actually did pretty well since he practiced to ensure he knows his hold overs out to 300 yards.

Here is a photo of one of the stages at the Peacemaker Rimfire match. The furthest distance on this particular stage was 294 yards.

i-ssKQND8-L.jpg

Jeremy (pictured here) was match winner earlier this year.

My CZ 455 won't do it with standard velocity ammo. I currently have 12-14 moa up, which won't get me to 200yds. If I add a 20 moa base, I will get 200yds, but still be well short of reaching 300yds. If I do both a 20 moa base and 20 moa rings (plastic insert variety), I may be able to reach that far. 40 moa bases are not available.

My point is, it isn't always "easy" to stretch a .22 out to 300yds. Even with high velocity ammo, I would need 30 moa or more of mount offset. Some rifles just have a low bore angle. Guess I will be using a holdover and hope I don't get DQed for missing a berm.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    My CZ 455 won't do it with standard velocity ammo. I currently have 12-14 moa up, which won't get me to 200yds. If I add a 20 moa base, I will get 200yds, but still be well short of reaching 300yds. If I do both a 20 moa base and 20 moa rings (plastic insert variety), I may be able to reach that far. 40 moa bases are not available.

My point is, it isn't always "easy" to stretch a .22 out to 300yds. Even with high velocity ammo, I would need 30 moa or more of mount offset. Some rifles just have a low bore angle. Guess I will be using a holdover and hope I don't get DQed for missing a berm.

The limitation is not your rifle, but the scope. I shoot a CZ455 as well (a large number of people are running the CZ455 at the Peacemaker matches.)

I'm running a Vortex HST (the cheaper version of the PST scope line) with the 20MOA dip rail. If you want to dial for POA-POI, then you will need to be able to dial enough elevations in your scope. Otherwise as you said, you will need to use hold overs. My current setup tops out at 58 MOA of adjustment, then I would need to go to hold overs.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    The limitation is not your rifle, but the scope. I shoot a CZ455 as well (a large number of people are running the CZ455 at the Peacemaker matches.)

I'm running a Vortex HST (the cheaper version of the PST scope line) with the 20MOA dip rail. If you want to dial for POA-POI, then you will need to be able to dial enough elevations in your scope. Otherwise as you said, you will need to use hold overs. My current setup tops out at 58 MOA of adjustment, then I would need to go to hold overs.

I have tried 2 scopes, and both were close to the max up adjustment at zero. Not maxed out, but certainly closer to the max than the midpoint. This is a known rifle issue. Some just have a low pointing barrel, even relative to an identical model rifle. However, they were both 1" tube scopes which don't have the same internal adjustment range as a 30mm tube.

I have an SWFA 3-15 in a 20 moa mount for an AR that I can try with a 20 moa base. That should get me there but it will be mounted pretty high.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    .22 LR Precision Matches

Folks - I have recently requested permission to host a series of .22LR Precision Matches at the Mayberry Game Protective Association. I am still waiting approval, but wanted to get an idea of MDS' interest in attending these events.

Many of the specifics are not known, but I can tell you:
    • Course of fire (CoF) will include prone and positional shooting
      • Barricades
      • Rooftops
      • Ladders
      • Or Anything else we can think of...
    • Distance will range from 25yds-300yds (Maybe further if you're up to it)
    • Target sizes - 1/4" and up
    • 5-10 stages
    • .22LR only

This is a great opportunity to get our children into shooting and provide a venue for new and seasoned shooters to have fun, learn, and get some trigger-time... So, who's interested?

Interested, but at 77 years and bedridden with an incurable lung disease that treats me poorly, I can no longer get to the firing line.

However, a few years ago I won a .22 only match at the 200 yard AGC range on Marriottsville Road, Baltimore county. I shot an inexpensive $400 Russian single shot Izmash CM-2 that day, using its standard iron sights and 40 grain CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

And what seemed odd was that my prize was a few hundred rounds of an
    Eley premium ammo that the CM-2 did NOT like, and I ended up giving it away.
    That rifle loves anything made by CCI and so do our .22 revolvers. semi
    and bolt guns.

The rounds were dropping 20-22" as I recall...very light wind and a sunny sky.
    Can't recall how well that CCI stuff grouped them, but it was good enough to
    oust 15-20 competitors and one High Master who had equipment issues.

That was the only time in over 63 years of competing with twenty-twos
    that I shot one beyond 100 yards.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret--'84)
    Laurel, Md 20707

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    at the NRA World Shoot this past week they had a vendor, something like voodoo tactical, with $2k+ .22 rifles and were shooting them out a few hundred yards. no way i'm spending anywhere near that (plus the glass) on a .22 with its limited capabilities.

Savage https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...imfire/Savage+MKII+FV-SR+22LR+Threaded+Barrel
    free float it, get some 10 rnd mags, swfa 10x, rings, cheekrest..... still under $1k total. I have 2 friends with this gun and it hangs with my CZ every day of the week.

I'm interested in shooting these events at mayberry. I've shot the Peacemaker series and am putting together a couple of these at York IWLA next year as well.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Count me in.

I use a CZ 452, a 20 MOA base and a Nightforce scope borrowed from my long range gun.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Folks - I have recently requested permission to host a series of .22LR Precision Matches at the Mayberry Game Protective Association. I am still waiting approval, but wanted to get an idea of MDS' interest in attending these events.

Many of the specifics are not known, but I can tell you:
    • Course of fire (CoF) will include prone and positional shooting
      • Barricades
      • Rooftops
      • Ladders
      • Or Anything else we can think of...
    • Distance will range from 25yds-300yds (Maybe further if you're up to it)
    • Target sizes - 1/4" and up
    • 5-10 stages
    • .22LR only

This is a great opportunity to get our children into shooting and provide a venue for new and seasoned shooters to have fun, learn, and get some trigger-time... So, who's interested?

Any updates? I would like to know if I need to acquire more gear or practice with gear I don't normally use with this rifle.

1. Round count.
    2. Need for multiple 5 or 10 round mags
    3. Bipod
    4. sling
    5. shooting mat
    6. bags
    7. Anything I may have missed

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I'm interested! When we did our AAF&G Bikathlon a couple weeks ago, I took out my Winchester 52C for the first time in several years. I had a blast shooting 4-Position with it, but my old myopic eyes really didn't like the iron sights, even though they're Redfield Olympics front and rear. For this event, I'd put my Vianni mount back on it, so I could use a scope.

I would like to know if I need to acquire more gear or practice with gear I don't normally use with this rifle.

1. Round count. Same question from me.
    2. Need for multiple 5 or 10 round mags I have a couple 5-round magazines, plus a single round "sled." I'd have to do a mag change if there are more than 5 rounds on any target/stage.
    3. Bipod Check. Have one but it needs to be fitted to the old-style rail.
    4. sling Check.
    5. shooting mat Check.
    6. bags Check.
    7. Anything I may have missed

Any thoughts on tentative dates? For example, are you trying to get a match set up within the next month...or are you looking out farther, like early next year?

Joe

steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    The initial matches should be in January or February, if they are successful they will continue through the summer.

I wouldn't get hung up on gear, a rifle with scope and a couple of magazines will get you started. There will be plenty of gear available if you need to borrow something.

Steve B.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The initial matches should be in January or February, if they are successful they will continue through the summer.

I wouldn't get hung up on gear, a rifle with scope and a couple of magazines will get you started. There will be plenty of gear available if you need to borrow something.

Steve B.

This.

The main goal is to get people out, shooting and having fun. Generally speaking, you'll need a rifle, mags, and bipod but you aren't limited to those. Using rear bags, slings, and shooting mats are acceptable and there will be plenty around to borrow if need be. All you have to do is ask. Not sure about round count yet...

Stay tuned for additional info or shoot me a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom