Need help installing elec hot water heater!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just got a call from my parents. Their oil burner hot water heater went out and they can't afford to replace it at this time. I am planning to pick up an electric hot water heater to get them by but I need some help with the install.

The bad oil burner hot water heater was a replacement for a electric unit so the elec should be ready for a new unit.

If your willing to help please send me a PM or give me a call 301399 5001. We can discuss compensation privately.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The oil burner is running off a 30 amp 220 volt circuit?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Done a few of these. Some tips:

Don't mix pipes - so don't graft PVC onto copper. It's hard to get it right, especially when hot water is involved. Drain the copper before you join with a torch, and get the right solder (ask at the store). Don't forget flux or to sand/clean your connections.

Get a smallish water heater that won't break 30A at 220 (50 gallon usually). The wire is easier to work with and easily available in-county at nearly all hardware stores (10/3 with ground).

Cut power to your box (not required but if you haven't done this much...easier than getting a good zap). Get the right breaker. Anchor the heater to something solid, and lift it a few inches off the ground (you need to be able to get a hose on it to drain, eventually).

If you are working with a line rated to 20A (12 ga) and cannot easily draw a new one...don't over-tap that wire or you could end up "heating" more than water. For instance, my propane unit was on a 12ga wire, but the electric unit next to it I drew a 30A line. I had a sub-panel nearby, so no big deal. (I got two because one heated the house and one heated the water under the tile floor but now both tanks are heated by wood...so I've done a lot of this kind of stuff in the past two years).

Don't treat it like a "temp" heater - even if it is. The good news is it won't leak gas. The bad news is it might fall and make a mess, hurt someone or hit that gas/oil line. That would be a Bad Thing(tm).

I know an electrician who might be able to get to you soon-ish.

Sorry I am stuck and cannot get over to help. FWIW, you need a permit to do all this but an electrician or plumber can do it on an emergency basis and cover your butt.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Don't aska plumber to install a "hot water heater". Ask them to install a "water heater". The water heater will make the water hot. No need to reheat.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I just got a call from my parents. Their oil burner hot water heater went out and they can't afford to replace it at this time. I am planning to pick up an electric hot water heater to get them by but I need some help with the install.

The bad oil burner hot water heater was a replacement for a electric unit so the elec should be ready for a new unit.

If your willing to help please send me a PM or give me a call 301399 5001. We can discuss compensation privately.

Sounds to me like the electric is already there from a previous water heater that was replaced. Get sharkbites for the connections and it should be a piece of cake.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sounds to me like the electric is already there from a previous water heater that was replaced. Get sharkbites for the connections and it should be a piece of cake.

Correct but it's a bit unusual for an oil water heater to be 220v. Most likely the circuit was converted from the original electric heater to the oil heater and needs to be converted back...or maybe not.
    +1 on shark bites

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The oil burner is running off a 30 amp 220 volt circuit?

No it was wired into a 110 breaker but the 220 breaker and wire was left when the old electric WH was remove.

I found a friend locally that was able to help. It is finished and should be producing hot water very soon.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    No it was wired into a 110 breaker but the 220 breaker and wire was left when the old electric WH was remove.

I found a friend locally that was able to help. It is finished and should be producing hot water very soon.

GFY. Glad you got the issue solved. :thumbsup:

I had the fun of replacing an electric water heater in my office/garage building yesterday. They're not all that difficult to install. The hassle is getting the old unit empty, out and cleaning up the mess.

+1 on the sharkbite connectors. The water lines connected to the unit I replaced were PEX tubing. No desire to buy a tool I'd use once to crimp new connections. The tank fittings, a short piece of PEX tube and couplers to hook back in to the existing lines were about $25 at Lowe's. Much cheaper than tools.
    :)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'll toss in my love of sharkbites. I got 1000+ foot of PEX between floors and multiple loops and boilers and some of it trenched underground. It's all heating for us, though. If you have to bridge copper to PEX in a jiffy, there ain't a much faster way. The crimp tool is kinda pricey but handy if you think you'll be doing more in the future. Sharkbites can run several dollars per fitting, where a brass fitting and a crimp will put you out 1/4 as much. So if you need to do more than 10 connections, crimps pay themselves off - and you get a new tool to boot.

If you go with PEX, make sure you are not on chlorinated/utility water. If so, make sure the PEX can handle it. Some break down with chlorine, though it takes years to get there.

If you are lucky, then any 120 conversion just used the same wire as the 220. If the electric was converted from 220 to 120 using that branch, you should find a dead wire that is cut and capped. It will probably be red, or white with black stripes. If you reuse it to get back to 220, make sure it is the right gauge and that you get the right breakers for it.

And don't test it by sticking the hot end in your mouth. :shocked4:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The 220 wire was left and used for the 110. They even pulled the breaker and replaced it with a 110 for the oil unit. The old 220 breaker was still sitting on top of the breaker panel after 17 years.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    220v 30a circuit is nothing more than (2) 110volt 'hot' leads, a common and a ground.

Tap one of the 'hot' leads (either red or black insulator) and the neutral (white) and ground (either bare or green), and you have 110 volts @ 30 amps.
    Granted, the 30 amps is going to be waaaaaaaaay too much for igniting an oil-fired water heater.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    220v 30a circuit is nothing more than (2) 110volt 'hot' leads, a common and a ground.

Tap one of the 'hot' leads (either red or black insulator) and the neutral (white) and ground (either bare or green), and you have 110 volts @ 30 amps.
    Granted, the 30 amps is going to be waaaaaaaaay too much for igniting an oil-fired water heater.

A 30a water heater at 220v only needs a 10-2 wire pulled for it. No need for a neutral. While 30a would be overkill for an oil fired water heater the ignitor will only draw what it draws as long as it is not underpowered.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Dang, I just read this thread last night, and this morning my teenage daughter woke me up at 5:45 to tell me there is no cold water. So vacation day for me. After checking the breaker I though about replacing the elements, But after inspecting the water heater, i noticed a lot of rust stains, and a little dampness under to lower thermostat cover. Screw it. Time to replace it. I am guessing this ones at least 15 years old.

Oh, and my wife told me the water was extremely hot when she showered yesterday afternoon. I am thinking bad thermostat, cooked an element? Doesn't matter now, we are back in hot water.

And whoever owned this house before was a horrible plumber. Some people never heard of using unions. So first order is to install unions.

wh1.jpg

Done!
    wh2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom