• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    This may be a stupid question but would the Mosin make for a decent hunting rifle? :o Feel free to mock me, I am still a little new to Mosin's and hunting. :innocent0

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Big, heavy bullet. Ballistically similar to 308. You'd need to buy some nicer soft point ammo instead of the regular surplus ball that most people use but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a hunting rifle. Overkill for deer or most everything else you'd find in these parts

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've used a M44 before. The 91/30 is a bit long and unweildy to drag around with you.

That said, I initially despaired of getting the rifle into hunting shape until I found a decent rail attachment that indexes on the rear sight.

I tried the NC star one against my better judgement, and that was as I had expected a piece of crap.

Finally bit the bullet and got one I had to drill and tap the receiver to mount correctly and it turned out great. Works fantastic with pretty much any pistol scope.

I was dubious as to how valuable a 4x pistol scope would be for hunting, until I realized the Mosin Sniper rifle had a fixed 4x power scope.

I've found that with the action screws tightened down TIGHT TIGHT TIIIIIIIIIGHT and using the scope so that I can take the hold over out of the equation, my M44, and mosins in general, are much more accurate than people give them credit for.

With silver tip corrosive ammo I've gotten about 1.8 MOA, with one group that was literally five holes joined together into one ragged .5 inch hole.

It shoots slightly less good with the PPU soft points I use for hunting, averaging about 3-3.5 MOA, which is still good enough for deer.

With heavy ball I get about the same as with the soft points, about 3-3.5 MOA.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would get the carbine M38 or M59. They are not really accurate (I have an M44); so you may have to do some work on it to get an acceptable hunting rifle but they are rugged and pack a punch. And the ammo is cheap.

Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    Great info/lessons learned. This will be a project for myself and my son (future gunsmith in training) so the time spent will be a valuable teaching tool as well as a practical/functional exercise.:D

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    There is a dovetail under the rear site mount, it can be hard to get off, I can't remember if its soldered or pinned but my friend said it was a bitch to get off. He polished the action till it is smooth as butter, mounted a rail on the dovetail and put a pistol scope on it and loves it. I heard the 7.62x54R compared to the .30-06 ballistically but I don't know, they were both designed over 100 years ago. you can invest more than you spent buying the rifle on a new improved stocks, or stick with the original and bayonet a deer from your stand.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    It can but if you have something else I would use that instead. I have hunted with Mosin a 91/30 and found the sights and safety leaving much to be desired. I do not remember length being an issue but in the woods shorter is easier. Add your own joke here.

Before you think I am a Comm-Snob my rifle for deer for years was a SKS which was excellent.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can you hunt deer with a Mosin - Hell yes.

The Russians hunted Germans with the damned things, so it'll do it's job (possibly too well depending on shot placement).

There's plenty of pre-Bubba'd Mosins out there to choose from, so go for it.

DO NOT hack up a intact and semi-correct Mosin though, you'll make yellowsled and many others cry. ;)

Sirex