• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I moved to MD about 5 years ago and just now have found out about the Managed Deer hunts. I've seen info about the shooter requirements needing to shoot a grouping with a 9" circle, etc. But would like more info about the hunts, mainly pertaining to Seneca Creek State Park as that seems to be the Park closest to me that has a managed hunt. I live just north of Frederick.
    I've read that in this park you can get up to 4 does, and they draw for a buck tag.

Do the hunters keep all the deer they get or is there donation pile?
    Does everyone that passes the shooter course and apply for a manage hunt get picked for atleast 1 hunt?
    I've heard they pick the spot for you, so do they have stands setup, or you hunt from the ground?

Any info would be appreciated. Can PM me with details if you wish.

Thanks.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I got picked for the Seneca Creek hunt a few years ago and got 2 does there. They had a massive deer herd at the park then, haven't seen anything like that on a managed hunt. That was really unbelievable, lots of action, close and long range shots. In general, I put in for managed hunts most years, but it is a lottery, so it is far from a sure thing to get picked. It has been at least a couple years since my last managed hunt at Soldiers Delight. I'd say Ft. Frederick, Seneca Creek, and Gunpowder Falls have the most deer in my experience. The Smithsonian hunt in AA County is most like a usual hunt, just find your spot and hang a tree stand. It does seem relatively safe, given the usual free for all that takes place in most public hunting land in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom