• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Man that picture brought back a memory.

When my dad passed I was given all his hunting clothes including a Woolrich outfit like that along with goose down coveralls and parka. Well my bride had a habit of storing season wear in black garbage bags and of course I tossed it all out with the trash not thinking to look first. :sad20:

Maybe somebody found it and put it to use, bet they did.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Sportsmansguide.com has a ton of foreign military stuff. I've gotten some interesting Romanian and other obscure European stuff from them. Be careful on that site...you can get a lot of "great deals" in a hurry and end up with a huge bill! I've liked everything I've gotten from them, including surplus US modular sleeping bag systems.

I'm with some of you guys in not thinking camo is really necessary for hunting. It's certainly not important for big game hunting and probably only marginally relevant for duck hunting. I'm not suggesting you can have success deer or duck hunting in a Santa Suit...but as long as you wear dull/earth tones and pay attention to your background, you're fine. I think camo offers a false sense of security for some people too. For example, the most important thing in picking a tree stand location is probably whether or not you're silouet shows against a blank sky behind you--not the squiggly patterns on your shirt. The only reason some of my hunting jackets are cammo is that pretty much everything sold these days has some sort of pattern.

Another place to check for non-camo hunting clothing is European brands. I was over in Germany recently with a large group of hunters and NONE of them owned or wore cammo. All of their stuff is just standard drab colors. And of course it's got the Euro goofiness vibe to it...those guys are a little more fashionable than us new world frontiersmen haha.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Wow...this site has everything! I'm only going to allow myself to buy one thing...for now!

What's the best thing you've gotten from them?

At one point they had XXL sizes (I think 65 on the metric scale) of the Swiss M70 field jacket in Alpenflage. They were the only site I found that had larger sizes. I think it was about $15. I'm currently working to make myself a smaller size, so I look forward to purchasing some new stuff in the future.

I was also able to pickup a 1950's era Swiss e-tool from them and some Russian uniforms for a photoshoot I was working on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    "Hey, Macklemore, can we go thrift shopping?"
    What what, what, what?

In other words, go to thrift shops. I've found a LOT of woodland camo stuff in them.

Thrift shops and eBay. Also Midway USA carries a fair amount of foreign camo. Not much US stuff. But if you like your Serbian camo or German Flektarn, they are a go to place.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    InkedIMG_0345[2336]_LI.jpg So my kid calls me up and says hey lets go push some woods out. I said make sure you have some blaze on and this is what he shows up with.
    Not exactly camo but he said he picked it up cheap. Kind of old school, I guess you can be the judge.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I know it may not be as old school as you are looking for but Cabela's has the original Mossy Oak Bottomland waterfowl hoodie on sale From $49.99 down to $14.92 ea. Just picked up one of both the Mossy Oak Bottomland and the Seclusion 3D Backwaters Snow. Free shipping with code "7HOLIDAY". I have never been disappointed with any of the Cabela's clothing I have purchased over the years. Must be the old Cabela's stock before Bass Pro takes over.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...rfowl-opening-day-hoodie/2349452.uts?slotId=1

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I like red and black plaid with heavy green wool trousers. Filson and Woolrich are my go to suppliers. But I do need some new thermal underwear. Usually I go with 33 below.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    This place is probably a bit far for OP, but if anyone is near Alexandria, this place had a large selection of old uniforms and equipment, including woodland pattern BDUs the last time I was there (> 1 year ago).

Full Metal Jacket, LLC
    2379 S Dove St, Alexandria, VA 22314

http://www.fullmetaljacket.com/

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've been to Full Metal Jacket. I think they might have closed down...but if they're still around, they have a lot of good stuff. I very much prefer to buy this stuff in person. I've gotten so much great stuff from Sportsmansguide but occasionally the stuff from there smells like the Cold War.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I've been to Full Metal Jacket. I think they might have closed down...but if they're still around, they have a lot of good stuff. I very much prefer to buy this stuff in person. I've gotten so much great stuff from Sportsmansguide but occasionally the stuff from there smells like the Cold War.

H&H outdoor on eutaw street

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom